Grinding for the Elite Four

Gehrman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

129396 Yeah i think the biggest problem here is the exp calculation mechanic. PRO actually has mistaken the meaning of base xp . I saw a discussion that some people said evolve pokemon will level up slower, because their base exp is higher. Here is the main problem. Base exp yield has a function to determine how much xp we got after battlling pokes. So for example, if we battle bulbasur and ivysaur, we will get more exp when battling with ivysaur because the base exp is higher, but base exp doesn't do anything with the amount of exp a poke need to level up. So if we have lvl 99 gengar, and lvl 99 gastly, the exps needed to get to level 100 is the same. Pokemon never make an unevolved poke easier to level up.

I evolved my gengar at level 35 and now i had a massive 800.000exps to level it up from 95 to 96. I trained it in mount silver, and got approx. 14000 exp every battle, which means i have to battle for almost 57 times to level up.

If you dont evolve your pokemon, you only need about 1/5 times exp (gastly) in total to level up until 100. I hope the team can change this whole mechanic.

If this was a traditional pokemon game I would agree with you but this game is designed to be like an mmo and the way the current exp system works I would assume is on purpose because it makes the game feel a lot more like an mmo with an endgame as opposed to having everything you want a quarter of the way through. You're not supposed to evolve your pokemon until you are ready to take on the elite 4 because that is what adds challenge to the game, if you could have a gengar the whole game it would just be way too easy.

If this was a traditional pokemon game I would agree with you but this game is designed to be like an mmo and the way the current exp system works I would assume is on purpose because it makes the game feel a lot more like an mmo with an endgame as opposed to having everything you want a quarter of the way through. You're not supposed to evolve your pokemon until you are ready to take on the elite 4 because that is what adds challenge to the game, if you could have a gengar the whole game it would just be way too easy.

People are going to evolve them anyway because they need the extra stats to fight the gym leader. The only time it matters is when you get 8 gym badges and realise it's quicker to level a gastly to 95 or so rather than get your team to a level where they can take on the elite 4.

Also, if it was designer intent that you aren't meant to evolve your pokemon until 100 why doesn't it tell you this at any point in the game? Everyone in help chat i have told about this have been in disbelief that it doesn't work the same way as every other pokemon game.

• Like 1

126159the mewtwo is easy with a decent slowbro lvl 50 with amnesia and slack off, beat it in my first try with only that :)

Thanks for the tips man, I decided to completely restart. Was able to beat him quite easily after I learned all I needed was a magneton with thunder wave and sturdy :p Theres a way to beat everything in this game, just takes time to figure out what.

Update: I've just begun to level a Magnemite and it's taken me half as much time to level it to 70 as it took me to level any other full-evolved pokemon even to 60. It's kind of silly. Ash was really just a genius and a trend-setter by not evolving his Pokemon. :confused:

"Tonight... Gehrman joins the hunt...."

Find/Buy an Epic Gyarados/Gengar which these two can Solo E4 easily. :Smile:

[glow=black]“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” —Ging, HxH[/glow]

130370 Find/Buy an Epic Gyarados/Gengar which these two can Solo E4 easily.(Lvl 100) :Smile:

[glow=black]“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” —Ging, HxH[/glow]

130352 Update: I've just begun to level a Magnemite and it's taken me half as much time to level it to 70 as it took me to level any other full-evolved pokemon even to 60. It's kind of silly. Ash was really just a genius and a trend-setter by not evolving his Pokemon. :confused:

See my posts on last few pages in this thread about how XP works: https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18683&start=90

Short version is that Xp is proportional to the first base XP yield listed on Bulbapedia. So Magnemite is 89, Magneton is 161 and Magnezone is 211. Magneton takes 1.81x more XP and Magnezone takes 2.37x more XP to level compared to Magnemite.

On the plus side, if you teach a magikarp bounce and EV train it, you can level it to 99 really fast because its base XP yield is only 20.

130352 Update: I've just begun to level a Magnemite and it's taken me half as much time to level it to 70 as it took me to level any other full-evolved pokemon even to 60. It's kind of silly. Ash was really just a genius and a trend-setter by not evolving his Pokemon. :confused:

See my posts on last few pages in this thread about how XP works: https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18683&start=90

Short version is that Xp is proportional to the first base XP yield listed on Bulbapedia. So Magnemite is 89, Magneton is 161 and Magnezone is 211. Magneton takes 1.81x more XP and Magnezone takes 2.37x more XP to level compared to Magnemite.

On the plus side, if you teach a magikarp bounce and EV train it, you can level it to 99 really fast because its base XP yield is only 20.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the premise now. I'm just disappointed with it. :Sleeping:

"Tonight... Gehrman joins the hunt...."

1)having a team at max doesn't make it any easier to level lower level pokemon as switch training is essentially useless and there is no exp share so I actually don't know what this point means

2)when you are progressing through the story if you're using an unevolved pokemon you will be 10-20 levels higher than the pokemon you're fighting but they can be evolved which gives them a significant stat boost on you and the amount of xp you get for killing those pokemon is still on a good gradient to continue progressing with your pokemon, at no point does it take more than 5-10 battles to level if you're following the natural game progression until endgame and even then until you evolve your pokemon it's not that bad bf4 seafoam on a slow leveling pokemon will still take only 10~ fights to level each time around the 70's

3) the formula for xp in the game makes it a lot less grindy than it would be if you were just facing pokemon with standard base levels of xp to give

the leveling system in this game is designed to force you to wait to evolve your pokemon until they are fully trained and if you're not doing that of course it is way too hard it would be better to start with a new level 5 pokemon than to try to level a fully evolved pokemon from 60-70 but if you're doing that you're probably just not playing the way you're intended to and that's not a valid complaint

1)Once you are max level you have no reason to evolve pokemon early. You can avoid the XP penalty for evolving pokemon because you don't need to evolve to beat gyms. You also have access to high level areas so you aren't stuck fighting stuff 10-20 levels below you. Overall it goes much faster once you already finish the story.

2) You don't have to go past the first gym to prove this wrong. If you start with pikachu it's useless for brock so you need to catch and level up a Mankey to fight him. I went to Pewter City and talked to new players fighting Brock and most of them needed to get their Manky or Nidoran to about 15 before they could beat him. Before you beat the first gym the best stuff you can grind off is the ~level 5s in Viridian Forest. To get your Mankey from 14 to 15 you need to kill 47 Weedle/Caterpie or 35 Metapod/Kakuna. Assuming it's half and half that means you need to kill 40 pokemon.

3)The XP formula in this game gives you more XP than the Nintendo games but it also takes more XP to level because XP required is calculated differently. You are right that in that if you are always killing even level pokemon then it would be faster to level up in this game, but the game constantly forces you to fight stuff 10-30 levels lower than you so it ends up being way more grindy, and you end up in ridiculous situations like having to kill 40 pokemon for 1 level up before the first gym.

• Like 1