Suggestion for Nicknaming Pokemon...

Kyramei

If you named the pokemon the nickname was only visible to you, and to them it would be the pokemon's original name-- you could potentially scam inexperienced players if named your ditto goomy and tried to pass it off as a more valuable pokemon

well.. this is really not the case you can see what pokemon is in the trade (you see the sprite of the pokemon just as it walks behind you basicly) so you can't trade off a ditto for a Goomy in that regard because the sprites look diffrent from each other in the trade so if you have a little knowledge about pokemon and how they look you see the diffrence

Of course i know this, I'm saying that it can leave an opportunity for people to take advantage of the inexperienced players that don't know what they look like, or players unfamiliar with the later generations of pokemon.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What will happen once you try trading that Pokie that was named? And how is naming a Poke considered a scam? o,O

If you named the pokemon the nickname was only visible to you, and to them it would be the pokemon's original name-- you could potentially scam inexperienced players if named your ditto goomy and tried to pass it off as a more valuable pokemon

Uh, you do realize when trading you can click on the Pokie and see the picture of it and it's stats right? And I'm pretty sure if you link the Pokie in trade chat it'll show as the Pokie's original name. Besides that you need four Gym badges to be able to trade for the first time. By then I think they should be more experienced. If everyone else couldn't see the name then how could people get scammed in the first place? Overall like Arnie said "and would be difficult to moderate" It might also be hard to create code to where you and only you can see the Pokie's name that you named it and no one else. :p I might not be possible who knows :p

Of course but even with four gym badges there's 5 or 6 generations of pokemon with the majority being unknown by the time you get your fourth badge since not everyone plays this game with extensive knowledge of the game, and as far as coding goes, it's definitely possible.

Uh, you do realize when trading you can click on the Pokie and see the picture of it and it's stats right? And I'm pretty sure if you link the Pokie in trade chat it'll show as the Pokie's original name. Besides that you need four Gym badges to be able to trade for the first time. By then I think they should be more experienced. If everyone else couldn't see the name then how could people get scammed in the first place? Overall like Arnie said "and would be difficult to moderate" It might also be hard to create code to where you and only you can see the Pokie's name that you named it and no one else. :p I might not be possible who knows :p

Of course but even with four gym badges there's 5 or 6 generations of pokemon with the majority being unknown by the time you get your fourth badge since not everyone plays this game with extensive knowledge of the game, and as far as coding goes, it's definitely possible.

I don't have extensive knowledge and I can tell when a Pokemon is named something different :p Or if it's worth what I'm getting...

132437 I like this idea! This would mean no additional data usage for the game itself. Maybe it could be an optional downloadable add-on to the game or something.

The only downside is that it might apply to all Pokemon of the same kind? Unless each Pokemon has its own unique ID number or something I don't know about??

There are individual codes for each Pokemon. That is why I said the "if Pokemon number". I guess I could have stated it better by saying "If Pokemon is number 12345, change the battle name to nickname 'Treestar'".

127327 i agree, it would cause players to have their pokemon name to be either Racist, Inappropiate or just plain Disgusting. Vote for no

I don't see why this would matter if the only person to see a nickname would be the person who named it. Name it what ever racist, Inappropriate, disgusting name you want...no one else will see it.

Honestly, while it's not something I ever utilized in any of the handheld games, nicknaming has always been a part of the pokemon experience. But yes, to keep things safe and friendly, I say keep the names hidden from others...that's the only problem I could see with it.

I agree, I caught a lot of pidgeys early on to try trading with the Oddish chick in Veridian City and it was very hard to sort out all these pidgey.

Plus, I really enjoy having something special and unique about a Poke'mon, even if no one else would see it.