Johto is hard to grind

Chorachora

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the problem seems to be gym 4. It's a huge wall and you need lv 50-55 pokemon to smoothly beat it (or a good dark type pokemon at lv 50). When I got to the 4th gym I had 3 pokemon between level 42-48, a fire, electric and fairy, but got absolutely stomped. I wanted to continue grinding but could only find lv 13-16 pokemon which was immensely slow to level up on. At this time I also decided to catch a houndour, but the problem was that he was lv 15 and I had no trainers to fight and after lv 30 the progress slowed wayyyyy down as well. It was so frustrating that I just gave up on johto story, bought some cheap high lv pokemon and powered through it so I could get to end game content and enjoy the game again. I found once I got to dragons den the game became enjoyable once again bc the place is great to level up.

I feel like the leveling in johto is set this way to create a superficial difficulty, or to extend your time in johto. But honestly I just got frusturated and didn't even want to play it anymore. I loved the speed and pace of kanto, but was pretty let down by johto solely bc of the leveling speed.

I feel like 4th gym is possible without crazy grinding if you only use 1-2 pokemon and don't spread trainer exp among several pokemon, but I hate having 1-2 pokemon super high level while the rest of my team idles in the teens. And if you want to add a pokemon to your team, like a dark type for example to help with gym 4 then RIP, enjoy that grind to lv 50-55 on only lv 15 pokemon.

154189 I found the problem seems to be gym 4. It's a huge wall and you need lv 50-55 pokemon to smoothly beat it (or a good dark type pokemon at lv 50). When I got to the 4th gym I had 3 pokemon between level 42-48, a fire, electric and fairy, but got absolutely stomped. I wanted to continue grinding but could only find lv 13-16 pokemon which was immensely slow to level up on. At this time I also decided to catch a houndour, but the problem was that he was lv 15 and I had no trainers to fight and after lv 30 the progress slowed wayyyyy down as well. It was so frustrating that I just gave up on johto story, bought some cheap high lv pokemon and powered through it so I could get to end game content and enjoy the game again. I found once I got to dragons den the game became enjoyable once again bc the place is great to level up.

I feel like the leveling in johto is set this way to create a superficial difficulty, or to extend your time in johto. But honestly I just got frusturated and didn't even want to play it anymore. I loved the speed and pace of kanto, but was pretty let down by johto solely bc of the leveling speed.

I feel like 4th gym is possible without crazy grinding if you only use 1-2 pokemon and don't spread trainer exp among several pokemon, but I hate having 1-2 pokemon super high level while the rest of my team idles in the teens. And if you want to add a pokemon to your team, like a dark type for example to help with gym 4 then RIP, enjoy that grind to lv 50-55 on only lv 15 pokemon.

It is the whole problem with the region itself, tho I will try to grind Johto and compare it and send it to staff so they can scale it a bit high.

Jinga.gif

Inferno BlaZe Join Us!

I feel they moved a lot of the good johto pokemon to Kanto for ms players and to the new region.

No, Johto is also good spot for hunting but it's the level scalling which is the only thing bad in Johto.

Jinga.gif

Inferno BlaZe Join Us!

The Dragon's Den is a great training grounds at Blackthorn. Eventually, you will get there. I brought an entire Johto team from 50-70+-ish in a handful of hours; not to mention the money I made, as well (Membership certainly does help)! After that, you pay 200k to get in with the Dragon Club, do the Dragonite mini-quest, defeat Lance, then head to Cerulean Cave for even higher pokemon than Dragon's Den. The grind is certainly worth it in the end, my friend.

I can catch some johto 50+ pokemon for you, if you'd like. Maybe just reimburse me for the pokeballs. If, you're truly struggling.

(24) Badges / (12) OT Shiny / (0) Life

if u carry rock smash TM from kanto, u can lvl a bit eaysier :) u will be able to rock smash through rock tunnel to dig spot and route 46? i think. there are headbuts that carry lvl 50 pokemons like butterfree, beedril, gligar, galvantula, and east of it u can fish from bridge..lv 30 poliwags, surskits :Grin:

i did that and i met my first lv 50 buttefree enemy with my lv 8 team :Ambivalent: god bless smoke ball :Crazy:

Guest nieuweman

i think johto is easy just lvl 1 and downt let it evolve i choose cindaquil as start an i evolved him on lvl 92 and johto was for my opinion super easy

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the grinding for the 4th gym as I was able to clear it with 3 35's and a 40 so saying you need level 50's is not true honestly you can finish all the johto gyms with lvl 63 team so it isn't that bad