How to Rate Pokemon

Thejollypear

How to Rate Pokemon

DISCLAIMER: this thread will have a lot of opinions due to abilities, etc.

Rating pokemon can be an easy task if you know what to look for.

mWQzqUi.png

As shown above this gengar would be a solid 8/10. The reasons are/what to look for:

Ability

Nature

IV’s

Ability: Gengars only ability is levitate.

Nature: Gengars best nature is timid, boosting its speed. Therefore making this gengar better than say a Modest. If you run modest, you're missing out on a timid speed boost.

IV’s: Gengar is required to have good IV’s in SPD and SPATK not requiring them in ATK, DEF, and SPDEF. HP is not that much needed, but more important than the other.

2mpy34g.png

This pikachu is 1/10, the only reason why it is not 0/10 is because of its nature. But its IV’s are terrible. Both decent IV’s are in the completely wrong spot. Pikachu is a SPATK’r not needed ATK. Lightning rod ability is also recommended.

11uhriw.jpg

This CLONE charizard would be rated 10/10. Since it is rare, and because of its IV’s and nature. And its ability is hidden ability. But that could be replaced with Blaze for preferences.

vo0rvb.png

This nidoran M would be rated a solid 7/10. Its ability is preferred “Hustle” over Poison Point. It also has the best nature, adamant boosting atk. Have 20+ in all stats also boosts it. But it could use more IVs in HP.

2qx1atj.png

Some people would say this staryu is a 9/10, or 10/10. BUT since it has the best ability, and amazing IVs. It did sync fail into Modest from Timid, losing required speed.

How to rate unused Pokemon Effectively

<i></i>

As suggested by Dipidydip, I'll be expanding more on the idea of rating any pokemon effectively. Not just over used/the ones I posted :). Expanding off the topics I touched on above, Abilities is where you start at first. I personally use Smogon Dex to check current builds/good builds for certain pokemon. Lets look at Floatzel for example. Floatzel is an amazing example due to it being a hybrid attacker. Which means being able to have a

Physical attack build:

Floatzel @ Life Orb

Ability: Water Veil

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Hydro Pump

- Ice Beam

- Hidden Power Electric

- Surf

Plus a special attack build:

Floatzel @ Choice Band

Ability: Water Veil

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Waterfall

- Ice Punch

- Aqua Jet

- Return

But looking more into smogon, it shows some early issues. First off all, some. If not a lot of moves/items are not coded/aren't in PRO. So be very careful with that! You should always research your pokemon a bit. And find good alternatives item/move wise within PRO. In example, say I'm hunting a physical attacking floatzel. You'd be looking for ability "Water Veil" (Prevents burn.) This ability is the best available for floatzel due to it not being able to be burned via scald, etc. Swift swim (Speed doubles in rain.) wouldn't be so useful due to floatzel having a decent base stat in speed. (115 base stat) But, you also need to look in curves! Floatzel swift swim could be useful within a rain team. Next you should move onto nature, if you get the ability correct. Nature is the next to look at. For phsyical attacking floatzel you want "Jolly" (+Speed, -Sp.Atk.) Use Nature chart). You'd only want Jolly, due to it taking away Sp.Atk. Timid would be useless due to the Spe increase, but Atk decrease needed in floatzel. Adamant would be ok, for a swift swim floatzel in rain, so It'd be faster. But a adamant water veil floatzel needs jolly to boost its speed! Next you look at IVs, mostly IVs deal with what you want, PVP pokemon are recommended 22+ in all IVs needed in my opinion. In floatzel I'd look for, great SPD, ATK, and HP. With decent Spdef and def due to its low base stats in them. Hope this section helps newer/old members rate more rare/less commonly used pokemon!

Try to guess what these are rated below. Remember to use your knowledge on NATURE, ABILITY, and IV’s :). Use websites if you must![/center]

2uqdf8z.png

8/10, speed could be higher.

157oq6p.png

5/10, spdef is low. And the nature is wrong.

f35q9c.png

7/10, IV's are O.K. But nature is meh, relaxed is usable. But careful is preferred.

Thanks for reading, hope it helps. Any questions ask!

-Jolly

Sites: recommended by ChampionDavid

width=400px

https://i.imgur.com/9pNePO2.png[/img]

Server: Silver

width=234pxhttps://i.imgur.com/0Zly8nz.png[/img]

oNql8cu.png

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of the guide, but I feel like it is missing an important message. Ratings are, by definition, subjective numbers; I do not think everyone understands this. People should cater their ideology of what an acceptable or amazing pokemon is according to their own objective [PvP or PvE]. In addition, you should provide sources for people who do not know which abilities, statistics, and/or natures are ideal. A great site for this knowledge would be Smogon. I think with the addition of the two suggestions above, we will arrive at a solid guide that people can look to for guidance. Good luck.

286938 I like the idea of the guide, but I feel like it is missing an important message. Ratings are, by definition, subjective numbers; I do not think everyone understands this. People should cater their ideology of what an acceptable or amazing pokemon is according to their own objective [PvP or PvE]. In addition, you should provide sources for people who do not know which abilities, statistics, and/or natures are ideal. A great site for this knowledge would be Smogon. I think with the addition of the two suggestions above, we will arrive at a solid guide that people can look to for guidance. Good luck.

I agree with you, I'll add some sites now. :)

Edit: added bulbapedia, and smogon.

width=400px

https://i.imgur.com/9pNePO2.png[/img]

Server: Silver

width=234pxhttps://i.imgur.com/0Zly8nz.png[/img]

oNql8cu.png