Help me round out my team

Guest lampshadejaz

If i wanted to build a sun team i would build a main team of 3-4 Pokemons and 3-2 pokemons to variate

1. timid+drought Ninteales

Move set: Flamethrower/fire blast, Nasty plot, Solar Beam, HP rock/ice/ground

sloar beam is mandatory against the 3 weaknesses rock, ground and water and has no charge up turn in the sun

last slot is for coverage hp rock is strong against fire and flying and has a 18.8% chance to OHKO Talonflame at +0 while an adamant+sharp beak Talonflame with brave bird deals 82.9 - 98.2% against ninetales. HP ice helps against dragons and flying types. HP ground is good against grounded fire types and tentacruel. if ninetales doesnt have the correct iv's W-oW- or dark pulse are fine (extrasensory isnt that great because u most likely have a psychic stab pokemon)

2. chloro+Modest Venusaur

nothing to add here

3. jolly+sand veil Garchomp

nothing to add here

4. bold+NC Blissey

Move set: Soft-boiled, heal bell, thunder wave/toxic, flamethrower/seismic toss

your switch in against special attackers if u need to set up sun again. u dont need an electric attack because it is only strong against flying and water and u already cover water with grass attacks. Flying is also weak against ice and rock

Sun is weak against (flash) fire pokemons, dragons, weather teams and flying types (e.g. jolly+reckless+sharp beak OHKO's your chloro sweeper and ninetales). You lack a spinner/defogger, a physical wall if u need to set up sun again, some utility like knock off

a)

5. chloro+modest exeggutor

Move set: Psyshock, solar Beam, HP fire, sunny day

sludge bomb helps u only against bug, but hp fire already covers bug. Replace it with sunny day and u get another way to set up sun

6. impish+sturdy Donphan

Move set: rapid spin, earthquake, ice shard, knock off

since u try to sweep as fast as possible u dont need stealth rock. but u get a spinner, u have a great stab against sand, utility in knock off, prio move against dragon and fly (and flying dragons and garchomp take x4 dmg)

b)

5. chloro+adamant/naughty/lonely shiftry

Move set: Sucker Punch, Seed bomb/leaf blade (nuzleaf with correct move set)/leaf storm, knock off, swords dance/defog (egg move seedot)/rock slide

defog helps u against entry hazard, rock slide against flying and fire types but has only 90% accuracy (u could kick knock off for it if u need a defogger and coverage), swords dance if u run adamant

6. reg+bold slowbro

Move set: calm mind, scald, psyshock/ice beam, slack off

ice beam if u need coverage against flying/dragon types, calm mind is neccessary against gothitelle

A bold/calm ninetales can be an option but u need to consider that u cant outspeed everything up to 100 base speed. Without any speed investment u are slower than pokemons with 68 basespeed and max investment+nature. With investment u are slower than everything with 87 base speed and full investment into speed+nature. So u could optimize for everything with 81 base speed (287 speed; jolly+moxie gyarados) or uninvested 95 base speed (289 speed; adamant arcanine or electivire) but u will lose the chance to OHKO adamant staraptor with fire blast (63,75%) at +0 and some OHKO's at +2.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lampshadejaz
299040 weavile jolly 31ivspd, icepunch iceshard, knockoff, lowkick nevermeltice item

u wont regret it

I was just crunching some numbers on Weavile vs poke with 2x Weakness to ice. Even Ice Shard deals a ridiculous amount of damage. HA Dragonite is a slight problem. One option when my opponent drops down an HA Dragonite could be to deal any amount of damage to him while he's Dragon Dancing so I can knock off his HA ability that halves the first damage he takes. Then let him kill whatever is on the board, then play Weavile and Ice Shard him for the priority kill. If he switches then he'll lose his Dragon Dance.

Would you ever put Swords Dance on Weavile for a time you anticipate a switch?

299698 HA Dragonite is a slight problem.

if you run fakeout+iceshard on it

npnp

• random number generation

An acronym for "random number generator" or "random number generation", it refers to the process by which computers generate apparently random numbers, essentially the computer equivalent of 'chance'.

Guest lampshadejaz

1. timid+drought Ninteales

Move set: Flamethrower/fire blast, Nasty plot, Solar Beam, HP rock/ice/ground

sloar beam is mandatory against the 3 weaknesses rock, ground and water and has no charge up turn in the sun

last slot is for coverage hp rock is strong against fire and flying and has a 18.8% chance to OHKO Talonflame at +0 while an adamant+sharp beak Talonflame with brave bird deals 82.9 - 98.2% against ninetales. HP ice helps against dragons and flying types. HP ground is good against grounded fire types and tentacruel. if ninetales doesnt have the correct iv's W-oW- or dark pulse are fine (extrasensory isnt that great because u most likely have a psychic stab pokemon)

So can I just pick a HA move type somehow? I thought I was only able to get one based on my poke's IVs. I ran the numbers on my Ninetales via a calculator and it told me it would be HA Psychic which is a terrible option since Ninetales already has a better Psychic move. So I gave Ninetales Roar instead to push out the early Dragonites that people lead and Dragon Dance with.

4. bold+NC Blissey

Move set: Soft-boiled, heal bell, thunder wave/toxic, flamethrower/seismic toss

your switch in against special attackers if u need to set up sun again. u dont need an electric attack because it is only strong against flying and water and u already cover water with grass attacks. Flying is also weak against ice and rock

Sun is weak against (flash) fire pokemons, dragons, weather teams and flying types (e.g. jolly+reckless+sharp beak OHKO's your chloro sweeper and ninetales). You lack a spinner/defogger, a physical wall if u need to set up sun again, some utility like knock off

So flying types aren't weak to grass right? Am I missing something? Togekiss and Talonflame for example are resistant to it. Luckily Flash Fire poke are super rare in PVP from what i've seen. I actually haven't seen a single one flash fire poke out of 50 games.

a)

5. chloro+modest exeggutor

Move set: Psyshock, solar Beam, HP fire, sunny day

sludge bomb helps u only against bug, but hp fire already covers bug. Replace it with sunny day and u get another way to set up sun

6. impish+sturdy Donphan

Move set: rapid spin, earthquake, ice shard, knock off

since u try to sweep as fast as possible u dont need stealth rock. but u get a spinner, u have a great stab against sand, utility in knock off, prio move against dragon and fly (and flying dragons and garchomp take x4 dmg)

So why would you put Sunny Day on Egg? I don't see the logic there. Wouldn't you rather have a Poison attack like Sludge Bomb to get more coverage and just go all in on attacks? It especially helps vs a Togekiss. It won't 1 shot it, but i'll 2 shot it (if I recall correctly). I try to guarantee 2 Droughts by my Ninetales, that's a total of 14-16 turns of opportunity for my Egg and Venusaur to get max value. I feel like Egg is so vulnerable to weakness you cannot expect him to go out, cast sunny day, then kill something. I usually play him into an Earthquake or water attack, then sweep as long as possible until he's dead. Which tends to be 1-4 pokemon depending on how lucky I get.

I agree and like Donphan withOUT Steal Rock since I'm applying pressure.

b)

5. chloro+adamant/naughty/lonely shiftry

Move set: Sucker Punch, Seed bomb/leaf blade (nuzleaf with correct move set)/leaf storm, knock off, swords dance/defog (egg move seedot)/rock slide

defog helps u against entry hazard, rock slide against flying and fire types but has only 90% accuracy (u could kick knock off for it if u need a defogger and coverage), swords dance if u run adamant

6. reg+bold slowbro

Move set: calm mind, scald, psyshock/ice beam, slack off

ice beam if u need coverage against flying/dragon types, calm mind is neccessary against gothitelle

Shiftry is an interesting consideration. I didn't even look his way. Does it make sense to have a Defog on a glass cannon poke though? I feel like i'd go all in on attack via Swords Dance here.

I wanted to show u some options. If entry hazards arent a problem for u dont use defog on shiftry. But that can change if the meta changes. I mentioned it so u know u can adapt.

For timid ninetales u should go nasty plot because u get a free boost if the enemy started with a bad matchup giving u the chance to sweep. Flamethrower or fire blast as stab move. Solar beam to cover the 3 weaknesses of Ninetales. Last move u can adapt. Roar to get the DD pokemons out, Extrasensory for Tentacruel (but slowbro would cover this one), W-o-W to cripple physical attacker without lum berry. But if u have the correct IV's for a good HP u could run it for coverage

On Exeggutor u need to consider that u already run poison on Venusaur and only pure grass and fairy are weak against poison anyway. If u think about all possible pokemons with those typings u realize that pure grass types like tangrowth/Sceptile take the same dmg from hp fire in sun, mixed types like Venusaur/Roserade/Amoongus/Breloom take more dmg from your psychic stab attack. Ludicolo would be weak against it, but in this case u run against a rain team and u might wanna use a sun setter besides ninetales, because letting ninetales tank multiple water stab attacks isnt that great. If u dont have another sun setter Water will slowly take u down because politoed can run ice beam against your grass types.

The fairy ones are azumarill (takes more dmg from grass), timid Togekiss OHKO's your exe but u wouldnt with sludge bomb and tank ones will use thunder wave and than kill u. If u dont use sludge bomb on the switch it's a bad idea. Klefki is immune, Gardevoir+Clefable+Florges and other pure fairy types take (almost) the same dmg from solar beam, leaving whimsicott as the only case it would really give u a guaranteed OHKO but u already have a guaranteed 2HKO with lum berry

Sunny day will also help u against sand teams because u cant afford to switch ninetales into hippowdon's earthquake.

Guest lampshadejaz

I wanted to show u some options. If entry hazards arent a problem for u dont use defog on shiftry. But that can change if the meta changes. I mentioned it so u know u can adapt.

For timid ninetales u should go nasty plot because u get a free boost if the enemy started with a bad matchup giving u the chance to sweep. Flamethrower or fire blast as stab move. Solar beam to cover the 3 weaknesses of Ninetales. Last move u can adapt. Roar to get the DD pokemons out, Extrasensory for Tentacruel (but slowbro would cover this one), W-o-W to cripple physical attacker without lum berry. But if u have the correct IV's for a good HP u could run it for coverage

On Exeggutor u need to consider that u already run poison on Venusaur and only pure grass and fairy are weak against poison anyway. If u think about all possible pokemons with those typings u realize that pure grass types like tangrowth/Sceptile take the same dmg from hp fire in sun, mixed types like Venusaur/Roserade/Amoongus/Breloom take more dmg from your psychic stab attack. Ludicolo would be weak against it, but in this case u run against a rain team and u might wanna use a sun setter besides ninetales, because letting ninetales tank multiple water stab attacks isnt that great. If u dont have another sun setter Water will slowly take u down because politoed can run ice beam against your grass types.

The fairy ones are azumarill (takes more dmg from grass), timid Togekiss OHKO's your exe but u wouldnt with sludge bomb and tank ones will use thunder wave and than kill u. If u dont use sludge bomb on the switch it's a bad idea. Klefki is immune, Gardevoir+Clefable+Florges and other pure fairy types take (almost) the same dmg from solar beam, leaving whimsicott as the only case it would really give u a guaranteed OHKO but u already have a guaranteed 2HKO with lum berry

Sunny day will also help u against sand teams because u cant afford to switch ninetales into hippowdon's earthquake.

What are your thoughts on Ancient Power (Rock) on the Exeggutor as the 4th move? So Solar Beam, HP Fire, Psyshock, and Ancient Power (Rock).

Edit: Looking at Exeggutor vs fire poke as an example because fire is weak to rock. Problem is, I just ran the numbers of Exeggutor doing Ancient Power to an Aracanine and it doesn't kill him AND it does slightly less damage vs a Psyshock... So the question is, are there any pokemon that Ancient Power would do MORE damage to compared to Psyshock. Charizard is one....

What are your thoughts on Ancient Power (Rock) on the Exeggutor as the 4th move? So Solar Beam, HP Fire, Psyshock, and Ancient Power (Rock).

Edit: Looking at Exeggutor vs fire poke as an example because fire is weak to rock. Problem is, I just ran the numbers of Exeggutor doing Ancient Power to an Aracanine and it doesn't kill him AND it does slightly less damage vs a Psyshock... So the question is, are there any pokemon that Ancient Power would do MORE damage to compared to Psyshock. Charizard is one....

Dont like it that much. It has only 60 base power and 5 PP (8 PP max). It woulk help against Charizard, Volcarona and Talonflame. Volcarona and Charizard arent that common and u wouldnt OHKO Volcarona without a boosting item anyways. For talonflame u are forced to predict the switch in else u need to switch out.

The value of sunny day as a utility move is imo better than a dmg move because u arent running a full offensive team.

• 1 year later...

Depends on the quest ur building for the main questline may or maynot be offered at this point which will not effect the style of play being currently used I prefer hybrid dark types preferably when style of play kingdra - crobat - haunter - alakazam - garchomp and gyarados