PRO 2017: Which are the plans?

Mestrepokemon

318193 I wish PRO wasnt just a hobby tbh. We got almost zero meaningful updates its been a long time. A lot of abilities do not work, moves, items, etc. I got bored myself and i'm currently taking a break. I'm always checking forums though, hoping to see something.

I wonder why Shane do not allow someone to help him to code the game. This game would be fantastic if things were actually working.

Agreed. I don't know about allowing someone to help code but I agree. :/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SugarRed9

All I want for xmas is unaware and magic guard to work <3 Those two abilities will effeminately shake things up in pvp and keep it fresh ^.^

318193 I wish PRO wasnt just a hobby tbh. We got almost zero meaningful updates its been a long time. A lot of abilities do not work, moves, items, etc. I got bored myself and i'm currently taking a break. I'm always checking forums though, hoping to see something.

I wonder why Shane do not allow someone to help him to code the game. This game would be fantastic if things were actually working.

Have you ever written software before? It's really challenging to allow others into your code base especially when you have a lot of users (I consider this game to have a lot of users). The new person could completely butcher the project, sabotage it, or just introduce bugs. Even if they work out perfectly, it could take them a really long time to get up to speed. So the game dev would have to spend countless hours just ramping them up in order to get them to a point where they're productive. You have to really trust the person too. And in most cases, they'll expect to get paid. So it's not just as simple as letting others into the code.

I do a lot of coding, yeah. What i am talking about is moves, items, etc. Things like that can be coded as separate classes or functions or whatever. Whoever was going to help would not need to have full access to the game code lol

1469413872-destinymember00_zpstb5ou3qy.png

Guest lampshadejaz

Have you ever written software before? It's really challenging to allow others into your code base especially when you have a lot of users (I consider this game to have a lot of users). The new person could completely butcher the project, sabotage it, or just introduce bugs. Even if they work out perfectly, it could take them a really long time to get up to speed. So the game dev would have to spend countless hours just ramping them up in order to get them to a point where they're productive. You have to really trust the person too. And in most cases, they'll expect to get paid. So it's not just as simple as letting others into the code.

I do a lot of coding, yeah. What i am talking about is moves, items, etc. Things like that can be coded as separate classes or functions or whatever. Whoever was going to help would not need to have full access to the game code lol

It's not that simple though. Only the dev knows how the code is organized. Have you ever architected software in a way such that the components are truly modular so that you can share a portion of the code without someone seeing the other modules? I would bet that this game's code base is not that way. This is basically an indie game, i guarantee it wasn't perfectly architected. And that's not a knock on the devs it's just the likely truth. Even software written by seasoned veterans is rarely written that way because of time and money constraints. All software should be, but we don't live in a world of infinite time and money. We live in a world where people demand features and content now for as cheap as possible.

The moves and items people want could be tightly wound into the game and require someone who REALLY knows what they're doing to implement 100% bug free. Not just a random dude modifying 1 or 2 class file :-\ Then there are balance considerations. Because this game doeesnt' have 100% of the moves it wont' be as balanced as Generation X/Y/Z.

The point i'm trying to make is, this is why it takes SOOO long to add in "moves and items" and why it's so challenging to just "have another programmer come in and add a new feature/item/move"