IV Training

Eiliko

46947 Well, i dont like the idea as well to be honest. The time that it needs to improve iv you could also just use to catch a better one :P

Hahaha! Very true attempting to capture better Pokes would be a very viable option maybe even easier. This was just an idea of expanding the options for obtaining nice Pokemon on the part of the trainer in addition to luck. :))

Haven't seen anyone else point this out yet - 510 is the max total EVs for a single Pokemon. The max for one stat, however, is 252. I think you're overestimating how much effort that takes to achieve

reading through your posts on this thread again, it seems you're pretty unfamiliar with EVing in general. Not only is there an EV training area with places specifically set out for each EV, but there are also areas in the wild that only give specific EVs. For example, in Dark Cave in Johto when you surf in certain places, Attack EVs are the only ones you can obtain. Add in the macho brace effect, and EVing isnt really that time consuming imo. Were this idea implemented, I think a dedicated player could probably turn a 15/15/15/15/15/15 pokemon into a 5x31 in a couple of days, tops

"Maybe love is just an economy based on resource scarcity,

but what I fail to see, is what that's got to do with you and me"

-Father John Misty

46978 Haven't seen anyone else point this out yet - 510 is the max total EVs for a single Pokemon. The max for one stat, however, is 252. I think you're overestimating how much effort that takes to achieve

reading through your posts on this thread again, it seems you're pretty unfamiliar with EVing in general. Not only is there an EV training area with places specifically set out for each EV, but there are also areas in the wild that only give specific EVs. For example, in Dark Cave in Johto when you surf in certain places, Attack EVs are the only ones you can obtain. Add in the macho brace effect, and EVing isnt really that time consuming imo. Were this idea implemented, I think a dedicated player could probably turn a 15/15/15/15/15/15 pokemon into a 5x31 in a couple of days, tops

Very good response!

I am very familiar with EV training however! In fact the max a stat use to have for EVs was 255 not 252. Its just that since stats calculated out in divisions of 4 having 255 EVs had the same effect on any given stat as having 252 (252 EVs = 63 points in a given stat). This was changed in later generations to a max of 252, as I'm sure you know, to prevent wasting of EVs :).

This however raise an extremely good question as to how this would be handled in game wise if you had to get to 510 in a single stat to gain 1 IV, that I had not fully considered. I guess stats would need to stop gaining boosts once the initial 252 was reached or something along those lines. I have thought about the Macho Brace and the effect it would have on the amount of time needed to gain stats on top of the areas in game that are EV specific.

I'm sure you are right that a dedicated player could indeed max a Pokemon in a short time, however I think everyone is overestimating the amount of dedication people have when it comes to a tedious process. Even though Pokemon in general is one big tedious process lol

Thanks for the great response!

Very good response!

I am very familiar with EV training however! In fact the max a stat use to have for EVs was 255 not 252. Its just that since stats calculated out in divisions of 4 having 255 EVs had the same effect on any given stat as having 252 (252 EVs = 63 points in a given stat). This was changed in later generations to a max of 252, as I'm sure you know, to prevent wasting of EVs :).

This however raise an extremely good question as to how this would be handled in game wise if you had to get to 510 in a single stat to gain 1 IV, that I had not fully considered. I guess stats would need to stop gaining boosts once the initial 252 was reached or something along those lines. I have thought about the Macho Brace and the effect it would have on the amount of time needed to gain stats on top of the areas in game that are EV specific.

I'm sure you are right that a dedicated player could indeed max a Pokemon in a short time, however I think everyone is overestimating the amount of dedication people have when it comes to a tedious process. Even though Pokemon in general is one big tedious process lol

Thanks for the great response!

Haha my apologies, it seems you know your EVs pretty well after all. Only reason I suspected the opposite was you mentioned something about players having to be careful to only gain the EVs they needed for the stat they were raising. Good comp players will have EVing down to a science here soon, and they'd be the ones abusing this mechanic

Re: the overestimating of the amt of dedication people have when it comes to this tedious process - I've been on other games before very similar to this, and its amazing the lengths people will go to gain an advantage competitively. It's basically murphy's law in these situations - if it CAN be abused, it WILL be abused. And the problem is, if this were to become a thing, extremely high IVd pokes would become the competitive standard - meaning, if you don't stack EVs on EVs for all your pokemon you'll be at a competitive disadvantage to others who did (unless you're very very lucky with catches). Another problem I see is that this reinforces what I consider to be an extremely boring and all around terrible game mechanic - EVing. With your solid knowledge of the generations, I'm sure you know that gen VI finally implemented some fresh new methods to EV train pokemon. However, we're stuck here with the old "smack x-hundred of these things and y-hundred of these and try to keep your eyelids open."

One last thing - the appeal of this game, to a lot of people, is that wonderful catchmmo feeling you get when you snag a fantastic IVd poke. While I personally prefer breeding-centric games, I can't deny the thrill of seeing an absolute god pop up in your computer when you go to check IVs. That seems to be the environment staff is going for, so any sort of IV manipulation is probably out of the question.

Hopefully that's not the case for ability manipulation down the line, though!

"Maybe love is just an economy based on resource scarcity,

but what I fail to see, is what that's got to do with you and me"

-Father John Misty

Max EV in PRO is 252 per stat. Still, it isn't too hard to reach it, especially that there are excelent spots for every EV to be trained not to mention the EV training zones in Kanto Safari.

Claiming that it would take "a very long time" is a completely invalid argument. Thousands of players play the game for thousands of hours. It's the same as making legendaries catchable. Sooner or later everyone would have them

Haha my apologies, it seems you know your EVs pretty well after all. Only reason I suspected the opposite was you mentioned something about players having to be careful to only gain the EVs they needed for the stat they were raising. Good comp players will have EVing down to a science here soon, and they'd be the ones abusing this mechanic

Re: the overestimating of the amt of dedication people have when it comes to this tedious process - I've been on other games before very similar to this, and its amazing the lengths people will go to gain an advantage competitively. It's basically murphy's law in these situations - if it CAN be abused, it WILL be abused. And the problem is, if this were to become a thing, extremely high IVd pokes would become the competitive standard - meaning, if you don't stack EVs on EVs for all your pokemon you'll be at a competitive disadvantage to others who did (unless you're very very lucky with catches). Another problem I see is that this reinforces what I consider to be an extremely boring and all around terrible game mechanic - EVing. With your solid knowledge of the generations, I'm sure you know that gen VI finally implemented some fresh new methods to EV train pokemon. However, we're stuck here with the old "smack x-hundred of these things and y-hundred of these and try to keep your eyelids open."

One last thing - the appeal of this game, to a lot of people, is that wonderful catchmmo feeling you get when you snag a fantastic IVd poke. While I personally prefer breeding-centric games, I can't deny the thrill of seeing an absolute god pop up in your computer when you go to check IVs. That seems to be the environment staff is going for, so any sort of IV manipulation is probably out of the question.

Hopefully that's not the case for ability manipulation down the line, though!

Not to worry! I've been trying to a bit vague while still getting the point across so as to be able to bring more people into the conversation. Perhaps I over did it, talk of EV and IV mechanics are a nightmare even for experienced players lol.

Indeed as with any system that allows for more player control it could and would be abused. That is one of the more unique aspects this game has by not having breeding incorporated into it nothing to abuse really! However that leads to another good question on how to stop something like this from being abused, perhaps it could cost money the higher up you level an IV. Then this would become a money sink as well. Either way I have no doubt there would eventually be common high IV trained pokes floating around and then yes they would set the competitive standard but how long that would be and how that would be handled I simply have no clear answer to. It's one of those things that you really don't know till you see it.

I agree with you completely on the EVing mechanic. I also dislike the IV aspect of Pokemon games as well. This suggestion was my attempt to reason out a way to simplify a complex system, and how do you simplify a complex system? By creating and even more complex system to deal with the one you got! lolol Perhaps I am underestimating the overall impact such a thing as IV training would have on the game or perhaps I'm just being naive for the sake of the idea. Gen IV did introduce a lot of great ways to EV train your Pokemon and IV help as well. I wonder if this game would ever see a boost, in time, to EV training like the handhelds did. Until then its a never ending game of wack a mole!

Yes an Ability Capsule of some kind would be great!

I've gotten more responses then I though I would in here and a lot of good questions raised by them so I'm happy with that. I know this will probably never happen but it was still good fun to put it out there and think about it :). Thanks again for the chat!

47067 Max EV in PRO is 252 per stat. Still, it isn't too hard to reach it, especially that there are excelent spots for every EV to be trained not to mention the EV training zones in Kanto Safari.

Claiming that it would take "a very long time" is a completely invalid argument. Thousands of players play the game for thousands of hours. It's the same as making legendaries catchable. Sooner or later everyone would have them

It isn't entirely invalid to say it would take quite a while to achieve epic status. Yes 252 isn't a lofty number and 510 only a little more so, but doing this multiple times over and over again for only one stat at a time could wear down even the most dedicated people I think. Thousands of player for thousands of hours just means thousands of people in the same place, with more then a few exceptions I'm sure.

Making Legendaries catchable does defeat the purpose of Legendaries. However IV's are just IV's and are a shared uniqueness among any given species of Pokemon were as Legendaries are meant to be unique all on their own. In time I'm sure certain Epic Pokemon would become more common then others but I doubt it would be over night or even in a few months! Should be more then enough time for things to adjust accordingly!

Thanks for the reply!

Being IVs trainable defeats the reason of having IVs in the first place. Why not simply ignore them at all and make every Poke max stats all over?

And you obviously seriously underestimate the dedication of an MMO player. A few days/wees of grinding won't hold back anyone form having a perfect Pokemon. Not to mention it would take out all the strategy from PVP.