(Magnezone) Patisaur's Pokemon of the Week

Patisaur

Magnezone

Standard Set

magnezone.gif

Nature: Modest

Item: Magnet

Ability: Magnet Pull

Efforts: 168HP 252SPA 88SPE (177 Total Speed, invest until reached)

Hidden Power: Fire

Moveset:

Thunderbolt

Flash Cannon

Hidden Power Fire

Reflect/Magnet Rise/Volt Switch/Charge Beam/Metal Sound

While it may be difficult to obtain with HP fire and epic IVs

Magnezone can get rid of pesky annoyances in the Meta such as

Ferrothorn and Skarm, Sometimes even offensive threats such as

Scizor. What makes Mag so great is its ability Magnet Pull

The ability to trap and get rid of a steel type without even

breaking a sweat. However there are some steel types who aren't

afraid of getting locked in, one in particular is Excadrill,

Outspeeds Mag no matter what nature and carries a stab EQ.

Metagross being bulky and also access to EQ is also something

that Mag should not switch into and uncommonly a Steelix can

OHKO your Mag despite it being faster it will take 2 Hits of

HP fire to try take it out. Lucario is another poke to avoid.

Despite being x4 weak to ground Magnezone has some great

bulk/resistances allowing it to switch in on almost anything.

But one thing to keep in mind is that once Mag has gotten rid

that annoying steel type wall then its done its job and

its job is to free up your physical sweeper from being walled off,

enabling it to sweep your opponents entire team with a set up move.

The difference between a Modest vs Timid Magnezone is that an

adamant scizor with 219 speed/212 EVS with 31 IVs in speed can

move before a modest magnezone with a maximum of 218 speed with

HP fire. Meaning that Scizor with Brick Break will deal 56%-67%

of your Magnezones health, whilst Superpower has a 43% chance

to OHKO throw on a Life Orb and its 100% chance to knock out

your Mag in one shot, an uninvested scizor will have 166 speed

with 88 speed invested in your magnezone you will go before it

as well as politoeds with 176. So that's something to keep in mind when

using a Modestzone. Benefits of Modestzone is that it can

Guarantee a OHKO on a Scizor and with a magnet it can OHKO a

Skarm 68% of the time where as Timidzone cannot.

Bronzong is a poke that may be unlikely to carry EQ, but if

so it can OHKO your Mag if it does not have max IVS in def & HP

dealing 82%-97% and only a 3% chance to 2HKO if you aren't

running a Modestzone. Some other threats that may lure you into

an attack is togekiss, being immune to T-wave and being a steel

type you might think its a good idea to go in and flash Cannon,

However a timid Togekiss can outspeed you and can carry moves

like flamethrower.

Against Ferro/Klefki/Skarm or Forretress you have nothing to

fear the worst they can do against you is set up hazards, a

screen or whirlwind you out. That is why reflect can be a good

4th filler over magnet rise, to give your next poke some bulk

to set up maybe an SD for a sweep or just provide a good switch

in.

Below is a list of pokemon you can easily trap and take out.

Scizor is the only pokemon below that you might be better off

bringing in on full hp after one of your pokes had fainted.

MODEST Magnezone

ferrothorn.png

HP Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: (62.5 - 73.8%) After Leftovers recovery

scizor-f.png

HP Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: (101.1 - 119.7%)

magnezone.png

HP Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: (56 - 65.9%)

forretress.png

HP Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: (122 - 144.6%)

skarmory.png

Without Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: (86.8 - 102.9%) 18.8% chance to OHKO

skarmory.png

With Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: (104.7 - 123.9%)

klefki.png

With Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Klefki: (48.1 - 56.6%) 34.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

bronzong.png

With Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: (50 - 59.4%) 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

TIMID Magnezone

ferrothorn.png

HP Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: (57.9 - 68.1%) After Leftovers recovery

scizor-f.png

HP Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: (91.8 - 109.3%) 56.3% chance to OHKO

magnezone.png

HP Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: (56 - 65.9%)

forretress.png

HP Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: (111.8 - 132.2%)

skarmory.png

Without Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: (79.6 - 94%) After Leftovers recovery

skarmory.png

With Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: (95.2 - 111.9%) 68.8% chance to OHKO

klefki.png

With Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Klefki: (43.7 - 51.8%) guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

bronzong.png

With Magnet

Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 154-183 (45.5 - 54.1%) 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hi,

i want to give u some feedback. I use magnezone in like 95% of my games (mostly modest because mine (ot) is one of the best on the red server).

EV-Spread:

I think it's not that benificial to invest 252 speed on a modest magnezone. Most offensive pokemon are speed invested anyways so u wont outspeed them. It's enough to invest till u reach 177 speed to outspeed uninvested base 70 pokemons like skarmory, politoad, poliwrath. it is also enough to outspeed uninvested TTar or uninvested scizor. And since magic guard is working the only relevent uninvested base 75 speed pokemon (florges: 186 Speed) is gone too. The benefit of the extra hp investment is u avoid the OHKO from ada+lum berry scizor's superpower at +0 ( 79.2 - 93.4%) or adamant TTar's superpower (80.4 - 95.3%), which u wouldnt with 252 speed iv's.

A higher speed mark is 199 allowing u to outspeed Milotic which threatens u with a 2HKO if u get burned by scald but there is a chance u get killed by the mentioned superpower now.

Another spread is 252 SpAtk/252 HP/4 Speed. The goal of this spread is to survive ada Talonflames flare blitz (80.8 - 95.9%). Additionally modest life orb Omastar has only a 50% chance to OHKO u with surf in rain.

Move Set:

I really miss Discharge for modest magnezone. With Discharge u still have a 93,8% chance to OHKO 252HP/252Def/4SpDef Slowbro after Stealth rock. U cant OHKO sturdy skarmory anyways and most pokemons not OHKO'd by discharge survive a thunderbolt too (e.g. Milotic, Empoleon) while the 30% para chance is really helpful to compansate for the low speed or in combination with serene grace togekiss.

Also u didnt mention metal sound which prevents ending up as setup bait for gothitelle. It also helps u to challenge snorlax (without fire punch or Earthquake) and even Blissey (guaranteed 2HKO with thunderbolt and 98.8% with discharge at -4 while Blissey has only a 4HKO with Seismic Toss and is slower)

Magnet rise is imo an underrated move on magnezone mostly because air ballon is missing. But without magnet rise the enemy can switch in a garchomp, excadrill or impish gliscor for a free swords dance boost. With magnet rise u can threaten them with a 2HKO. Additionally slow ground types like hippowdon (without roar) or donphan cant force u out anymore if the enemy used them as lightning rod. And my Forretress will OHKO your magnezone if u dont use magnet rise.

A status move is also relevant against klefki if u dont care about 3 layer of spikes to get turns off of reflect/light screen (u need 6-7 turns with the switch in for a kill if light screen is on the field and the duration is 8 turns)

Personnally i dislike volt switch on modest variants because it's not working as intended, get's blocked by the common ground switch ins, is only superior against blissey and finally u are just so god damn slow.

Imo a timid magnezone isnt that viable without choice scarf and u are forced to use life orb to compensate for the power drop. u only outspeed invested neutral natured base 70 pokemon. I dont think there are more than adamant cloyster (cant OHKO u even at +2 with icicle spear and u are slower after a boost too) and adamant bisharp, which u only threaten if at +0.

I agree with your points about modestzone with the speed and hp distributions, thanks for the contribution, investing speed till 177 is an option, even metagross has 176 speed and you can get a tbolt off before you get killed by EQ.

I do think Timidzone is a different story, if the person does invest speed into a scizor a life orb superpower can one shot your zone.

Zone is meant to be countered by Excadrill, Chomp & Gliscor, and sadly theres nothing you can do to stop them from SDing when they come in after a fainted poke. But that is apart of the game pokes have hard counters, it's 6 on a team for a reason, so you just have to have an answer for what counters your pokes.

Reflect is there against Forretress, Bronzong Earthquakes, even though they aren't as popular you can still beat them.

I agree with your points of magnet rise and volt switch, believe me i've tried both those moves in PVP and i do not like either one.

They are just options for people who want to try something different based on their team, i put reflect first because personally it helped me alot more than the other moves did, you can use reflect to stall out klefki screens, the only down side is that you are going to get 3 layers of spikes. If you have a better option to get rid of klefki i suggest to go into that because i do not think magnezone is 100% the best solution.

I never had trouble living a Flare Blitz from talonflame at full hp either.

Revised:

magnezone.gif

Nature: Modest

Item: Magnet

Ability: Magnet Pull

Efforts: 168HP 252SPA 88SPE (177 Speed with HP fire)

Hidden Power: Fire

P.S i think i may have the best zone on the server.

Magnet Rise is good even w.o balloon. If u are playing vs sand team. u know a Excadrill is coming and rise.. gg for exca. Suddenly a good counter to Magnezone become a prey.

I dont run Magnezone often but I use sand. And that the lesson I learnt, now I have to think twice before switch my Exca vs Magnet UFO since it could be Exca last switch.

Volt Switch should be considered when it work properly. Right now, it is just an excape tool when u trapped by gothi (which is also rare due to the meta is so offensive rn).

And I agree, Discharge should be used over Tbolt. Just like Scald over Surf (10% is nothing)

Metal Sound could be an option if u cant find a hp fire Magnezone. Using it vs Blissey is not wise in my opinion.. like blissey would stay there and eat 2 metal sound and ur tbolts..

Gy7V5xS.png

Special thanks for Kyuuta for making this awesome sign.

Hello, when you calculated the damages deal by HP Fire, did you use 50 or 60 in base power? I think you used 60, but in PRO, Hidden Power hits only with 50 base power. So, it changes Magnezone's capacity to counter some Pokémon. Particularly, his capacity to counter Scizor : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=52447 & https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60701

Server : Gold - Name : Kaminokage - Guild : FrenchConnexion

15b3f2a0801769846fa2e82efb7e6e5e.png

Ex-member of the Chaos on Silver

My personnal shop : https://tinyurl.com/y8bbuoq9

361299 Magnet Rise is good even w.o balloon. If u are playing vs sand team. u know a Excadrill is coming and rise.. gg for exca. Suddenly a good counter to Magnezone become a prey.

I dont run Magnezone often but I use sand. And that the lesson I learnt, now I have to think twice before switch my Exca vs Magnet UFO since it could be Exca last switch.

Volt Switch should be considered when it work properly. Right now, it is just an excape tool when u trapped by gothi (which is also rare due to the meta is so offensive rn).

And I agree, Discharge should be used over Tbolt. Just like Scald over Surf (10% is nothing)

Metal Sound could be an option if u cant find a hp fire Magnezone. Using it vs Blissey is not wise in my opinion.. like blissey would stay there and eat 2 metal sound and ur tbolts..

You would need to predict that to happen though vs excadrill and thats taking the thread to a whole another level because any poke can beat things if they predict everything correctly, magnet rise is still there as an option for people that want to use it, but like i said personally i dont use it, Tbolt is still better than discharge that 10 extra base power sometimes is more necessary than parahax, you are meant to trap and kill asap not trap and stall/cripple speed, if you do run discharge you wont be able to two shot certain pokes, anything you are designed to kill as a magnezone is already slower than you, and most of your threats are ground so you cant para to cripple their speed. Scald is a different story burn is necessary to completely shut down physical attackers, it also provides residual damage where as para does not (most scald users are walls as well) mag is not meant for walling & stalling, even though this is not smogon thats why smogon chooses Tbolt over discharge and being on PRO doesnt change the fact that Tbolt vs Discharge is any different here on PRO.