Why no switching after kill?

Guest notblackjack

Guest notblackjack

Hey,

I was wondering why, after you kill a npc poke, and they are about to switch, you don't get to switch before them like in the normal pokemon games. I'm sure you mods have a good reason because it's not something you just don't implement from the start or forget to implement (unless you have a good reason).

Guest UnknownUser11

1. Its super annoying and time wasting

2. Tournaments and pvp cant do this anyway

3. i dont like it

4. if enough people wanted it.. i suppose i could add it to npcs..

Guest notblackjack

3. i dont like it

Hmm yeah I have spoken to a bunch of people who want it. Thing is, it's annoying for EV trainers, plus sometimes its useful because its a free switch. Also, on the official games, you see what poke is coming next so you can switch to a pokemon who has type advantage (though I guess this is somthing to keep out if you wanna keep the experience (but you might as well as I will document all trainers on the wiki after the release anyway)). I do agree, for example if you train one pokemon (which makes him OP and 1-hit everyone even with type disadvantage), it can get annoying so if you add this maybe add an option to disable it for the people who do find it annoying (this option is there on official games too, being the "battle style shift - set" option).

~notblackjack

3. i dont like it

1,2,3-- I feel the same way.

I prefer battles this way because it adds an extra layer of difficulty to the NPCs. You have such a huge advantage if you're given a free switch, and PRO isn't meant to be easy. I don't like that trainer battles can potentially force unwanted EVs to your Pokémon, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

3. i dont like it

1,2,3-- I feel the same way.

I prefer battles this way because it adds an extra layer of difficulty to the NPCs. You have such a huge advantage if you're given a free switch, and PRO isn't meant to be easy. I don't like that trainer battles can potentially force unwanted EVs to your Pokémon, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

:xiagree: free switch against NPCs would make the game way too easy, also that is why EV altering berries are so important

buddha333.gif

"One is not called noble who harms living beings. By not harming living beings one is called noble."

Signatures made by

Annazhee (Jungle Buddha sig) and Chappy (Abra Buddha Sig) <3

Guest Fierheart

I do not agree with this idea. At all. The handheld games were not supposed to be MMOs so they had switching. Even in the TV series, the Pokemon were switched after the trainers sent out the new poke. Free switch is essentially saying "you choose something first so I can use type advantage over yours". I have encountered it before in PWO, when the opposing poke and mine died at the same time, and we essentially waited 5 minutes for the other person to go first.

As for NPC battles, specifically about EV training, you are not supposed to fight with poke you haven't finished training yet. Its that simple. There are no guarantees what the NPC is going to use and that is the whole point of a poke battle.

Guest notblackjack
I do not agree with this idea. At all. The handheld games were not supposed to be MMOs so they had switching. Even in the TV series, the Pokemon were switched after the trainers sent out the new poke. Free switch is essentially saying "you choose something first so I can use type advantage over yours". I have encountered it before in PWO, when the opposing poke and mine died at the same time, and we essentially waited 5 minutes for the other person to go first.

As for NPC battles, specifically about EV training, you are not supposed to fight with poke you haven't finished training yet. Its that simple. There are no guarantees what the NPC is going to use and that is the whole point of a poke battle.

This was never a suggestion, just wanted to know why not.

You nailed it with this post.

The most thorough trainers will wait until they finish the game, or region, before embracing the more time-consuming task of fielding a truly competitive team.

As someone else added, EV reducing items are also very important in case you choose to use a competitive battler during the main storyline.

Great discussion so far. Good job guys. :)

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee