EV's, IV's and Natures Explained! (Updated!)

Tommyola2

Individual Values (IVs for short and the RED numbers on your pokemons stats) are key to determining your Pokémon's stats. IVs are randomly assigned when you encounter any wild Pokémon. You cannot change a Pokémon's IVs once caught and there is no way to know the exact IVs in-game.

IVs consist of six numbers corresponding to HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. Each range from 1-31 and the higher the number, the better your Pokémon's stat will be.

Certain pokemon require certain stats, which means you can be more lenient with having lower IVs on certain stats! Here's an example, my friend Machamp

So if we look at his Pokedex entry and hover over the little spider web looking thing like this:

22ada2c3d0004c779d1ab25ed468bd2f.jpeg

We can see that Machamp's highest base powers are in Attack (130) and HP (90). So we're looking for a Machop/Machoke/Machamp with IV's that are all above 15 or 20 but highest in Attack and HP

Something like this!:

84ce2ca544ef499f88c6e1d0b815a72b.jpeg

So from this picture we can see that the machamp has 26 Attack and 23 HP, which is above 20 so it's acceptable! However you want to try to aim for 31 or as close as possible! :D

Now you know all about IV's! Congratulations :3

So as Pokémon battle, in addition to gaining experience points they also obtain Effort Values (usually referred to as EVs), which are special hidden values in each stat (HP, Attack and so on). Each Pokémon you battle against gives off EVs in one or more stats.

Generally, this relates to the Pokémon's strongest stat - for example that Machamp I showed you previously! We know Machamp needs high Attack and HP for his IV's and we'd apply the same with EV's for him too :D

However EV's can go all the way up to a maximum of 252 per stat and the max total EVs a pokemon can have is 510! Which means you can have 2 stats at 252 with 6 EVs left over or you can spread them out ^^

Let's use our friend Machamp again:

bec1062536e6416b913da04787a98eef.jpeg

Now on this Machamp, I have EV'd Attack and mainly HP, I added a little bit of speed just to surprise people , just personal preference! :y:

Every 4 EVs obtained in a particular stat equals one more point for that stat, by the time that Pokémon reaches level 100. At low levels you may not see all the points added straight away. If your Pokémon is at a high level you will see a lot of additional points going on to the appropriate stats at each level up.

Now I know what you're asking! "But Tommyola2, how do I know what EVs certain pokemon give? D: "

Well I got you on that buddy :D Here's a Fantastic website that'll help a lot!

Rather than just being a personality, Natures actually affect the growth of a Pokémon. Each nature increases one of its stats by 10% and decreases one by 10% (by the time it reaches level 100). Five natures increase and decrease the same stat and therefore have no effect.

In most cases it is preferable to have a nature that decreases either Attack or Special Attack for Pokémon whose strengths are the opposite type of attack. Machamp, for example, favors Physical moves, so it's best to use a nature that decreases its Special Attack since it won't be used.

Here's a list of natures and how the affect a Pokémon. :)

So now we all know the natures and what they do, we can then figure out which Pokémon needs which Nature. We'll use Machamp like the previous examples.

8da30ce855f447cca2c527b79f44f722.jpeg

So we look at the nature, this Machamp is Lonely but don't feel sorry for it! :P

Looking back to our list of Natures, you'll see that Lonely means Machamp gets -Defense but +Attack!

This is shown on the pokemon by the Red and Green stat names :]

If you've been with me all the way so far, you'll know that because Machamp is lvl 100, his Nature will increase his Attack by 10% and Decrease his Defense by 10%!

However

Did you know that if Machamp as Adamant (-Special Attack, +Attack), he would be a lot better, because he's always going to be taking either Physical or Special Damage in battle, but he'll only be dealing Physical.

Meaning Lonely will make him easier for other Physical Pokémon to hill him, which isn't something we want!

So if Machamp was Adamant, he'd still have the same amount of Attack power but his Defense would be 10% better than it is now! Purely because he wouldn't be getting the -10% from lonely.

Now, this will be different for every individual Pokémon. So remember, as I taught you before, check your Pokédex to see what your pokemons highest stats are, and then consider the Nature you need for it.

Fantastic Tip!

If you catch a Pokémon with the ability 'Synchronize' and you put it as your lead Pokémon, all Wild Pokémon will have a 50% chance of being the same Nature as the Synchronize ability Pokémon.

This is a fantastic tool for hunting Pokémon because it lets you get the nature you want, 50% of the time!

and I know, you're asking yourself "Okay that's great, but what Pokémon can have the ability Synchronize??"

Don't worry about it, I'm here to help!

Most players use Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Natu and Xatu for Synchronize because they're fairly common and easy to farm for the correct nature and Synchronize ability that you need.

However there are more Pokémon that have Synchronize and if you want to find out who else has it

-----> This link will help a lot! <----

Edited by Calahan
  • Like 5

Re: EV's and IV's Explained!

<t>Nice guide (y)</t>

• random number generation

An acronym for "random number generator" or "random number generation", it refers to the process by which computers generate apparently random numbers, essentially the computer equivalent of 'chance'.

<r>Nice guide!<br/>

<br/>

<SPOILER><s>

</s><br/>

<br/>

<br/>

<QUOTE author="Tommyola2" post_id="384154" time="1494408738" user_id="12185"><s>

</s>Each range from <COLOR color="#FF0000"><s></s>0<e></e></COLOR>-31 and the higher the number<e>
</e></QUOTE><br/>

<br/>

1-31 <E>:Smile:</E> <br/>

<br/>

<QUOTE author="Tommyola2" post_id="384154" time="1494408738" user_id="12185"><s>

</s><br/>

Machamp has 26 Attack and 23 <COLOR color="#FF0000"><s></s>defense<e></e></COLOR><br/>

<e>

</e></QUOTE><br/>

<br/>

HP <E>:Angel:</E><e>

</e></SPOILER></r>

<r><QUOTE author="Klumb3r" post_id="384289" time="1494441542" user_id="1204056"><s>

</s><br/>

Nice guide!<br/>

<br/>

<SPOILER><s>

</s><br/>

<br/>

<br/>

</s>Each range from <COLOR color="#FF0000"><s></s>0<e></e></COLOR>-31 and the higher the number<e>
</e></QUOTE><br/>

<br/>

1-31 <E>:Smile:</E> <br/>

<br/>

</s><br/>

Machamp has 26 Attack and 23 <COLOR color="#FF0000"><s></s>defense<e></e></COLOR><br/>

<e>

</e></QUOTE><br/>

<br/>

HP <E>:Angel:</E><e>

</e></SPOILER><br/>

<e>

</e></QUOTE><br/>

<br/>

Oh whoops! I'll fix it, thanks for pointing it out <3</r>

<r>Nice guide. You can add at your guide the formula for each stats: <br/>

<CENTER><s>

</e></CENTER><br/>

So, we can see: 1 IV = 1 point in stat at lv 100 (except when bonus/malus nature).<br/>

<br/>

And, add a part about Nature, because you show a very nice Machamp Lonely, very nice IVs. But Nature will affect much stats than IVs (you can see that in the formula).</r>

Server : Gold - Name : Kaminokage - Guild : FrenchConnexion

15b3f2a0801769846fa2e82efb7e6e5e.png

Ex-member of the Chaos on Silver

My personnal shop : https://tinyurl.com/y8bbuoq9

For PKM's Nature, I allow myself to propose my own spreadsheet:

164439Sanstitre4.png

I think it burns less eyes than just text :Angel:

Btw, others people tried to do their own Guide about IV-EV-Nature:

carlho, All about EV guide : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=8958

youraxx27, Nature IV and EV Guide : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=7416

ShinyMatt, Guide to Natures : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=68104

goldrake, Pokemon Natures : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=3135

fredrichnietze, EV guide : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2550

Bassadx, [Guide] EVs, IVs, Nature and Basic Stats - How do they work? : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=15966

Kuvishuby, [Español] EVs, IVs y naturalezas. : https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=28434

Maybe you will find some nice idea how to improve your guide's formatting :y:

Server : Gold - Name : Kaminokage - Guild : FrenchConnexion

15b3f2a0801769846fa2e82efb7e6e5e.png

Ex-member of the Chaos on Silver

My personnal shop : https://tinyurl.com/y8bbuoq9