Timed Cooldowns Poll

Verdigris

Which Activities Cooldown do you prefer?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Which Activities Cooldown do you prefer?

• Expire Time Based
    • Server Time Based
    • Other (Post your reason)

I have personally never been a fan of expire time-based cooldowns. The reason being that in order to optimize your time on it, you have to keep track of when you last did it, and need to do it exactly at that moment. Therefore, you need to keep a schedule, and if for some reason, you're unable to follow that schedule, that's just a loss. If the cooldown is exactly 24 hours, you'll be adding minutes on top of it every day, until it falls on a time where you have to go to school, job or sleep, and lose many hours. If it's less and you always try to optimize, well you'll just arrive at a time where the first thing you have to do when arriving or waking up is to do your daily activities. It's really just bad, and it's the main reason why I personally stopped doing daily activities.

On a server-based cooldown, you are simply given a time frame of 24 hours, you can choose whenever you want to do it, and it won't affect the time where you'll be able to do it again. If I'm too busy in the morning one day, while I'm too busy in the afternoon the next day, I can still do it whenever I'm available on both days and not lose any time. If I'm busy the whole day, well I miss the day, and I would have missed it anyway with an expire time-based cooldown. But at least, I just need one hour somewhere, and it's all good.

The only problem I see would be that this uses the same server time for everyone. I've played in a japanese game that used server-based cooldowns, and since I live in the opposite side of the globe, the reset happened at around 4 o'clock in the afternoon, while it's supposed to happen in the middle of the night. It was still very enjoyable and not much of an issue. And if we really wanted, we could also allow a feature that allows the player to set their own reset time, although with a limitation to prevent abuse such as a 30 day cooldown on being able to change it again.

Edited by Shizeria
  • Like 3

The only problem I see would be that this uses the same server time for everyone. I've played in a japanese game that used server-based cooldowns, and since I live in the opposite side of the globe, the reset happened at around 4 o'clock in the afternoon, while it's supposed to happen in the middle of the night. It was still very enjoyable and not much of an issue. And if we really wanted, we could also allow a feature that allows the player to set their own reset time, although with a limitation to prevent abuse such as a 30 day cooldown on being able to change it again.

when people sign up, they have to choose gmt, then they choose a "Cooldown reset time" and that's it, you can't change unless you like go live on the other side of the world, then you can ask a staff member. But when does it even happen? Like 0.0001% of the time, maybe.

Both are fine because they work differently and need to be with different things but I believe some need to be changed time wise. If you lose to a boss you shouldn't need to wait 12 days a couple days is better especially if you do the same time for a win. It's ridiculous to lose and wait almost 2 weeks to battle again and that's really the only thing I would change. Just reduce boss cool down time after a loss.

I voted for the server time based so I feel like I should explain why. The advent boss was a great little test of this and why it was better for me and why I feel like it is better for everyone(but not for everything understandably)

In my opinion it felt like there was less pressure to do things efficiently, I am a player with lots of time on my hands so making sure I get my digs etc on time is important so I can grow some money etc. For the advent, it felt much more free as there was a large time period in which I could battle him, as I knew it would reset the next day.

It felt better knowing I didnt have to run and battle him wherever I was. If I ran past hoenn then I could battle him and not worry about anything, as long as i battled him in this day then I knew I was fine. I think this more free and less time sensitive format is healthier and promotes more freedom, rather than people like me who could be worried with efficiency.

I think server time works best but it also depends on peoples timezones. For instance if my regular time to play in a day is 4pm-6pm my time, but server time switches from 2359 to 0000 at 5pm my time, its gonna be pretty annoying to deal with because halfway through my play time, everything switches over

Who is voting expire based? Lots of people voting but nobody commenting about it. I wonder if some even read the thread before voting.

A server based reset time would be better and I see no disadvantages over the current expire based cooldown system.

• Like 1

...And all will burn, beneath the shadow of my wings.

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share your questions on the forums as they could be useful to others.

Remember to use the correct forum when posting. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.