Competitive level balancing

Tokime

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care for this idea and here's why:

1. Negative effect on the economy. Some players will want to battle their Pokemon at different levels. If you only need 1 Pokemon per species, then this limits potential buyers.

2. Negative effect on tournaments. Players can always predetermine the type of battles they wish to participate in. If you're looking to test out a level 50 team, then look for a battle against level 50 competition. Funneling all battles toward level 50 would also minimize the amount of usable Pokemon.

3. Negative effect on player-controlled daycares. Whether you're interested in it or not, player-controlled daycares will be a major aspect of this game. After you finish the storyline and additional quests, you really don't have any other reason to level Pokemon except to increase their trade value or to battle with them at higher levels. Daycares would essentially become obsolete--especially if some sort of daycare function is ever implemented which requires the maximum amount of obtainable badges.

Suggestions are always welcome; I just don't believe this would be in the best interest of the players.

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

I don't really care for this idea and here's why:

1. Negative effect on the economy. Some players will want to battle their Pokemon at different levels. If you only need 1 Pokemon per species, then this limits potential buyers.

2. Negative effect on tournaments. Players can always predetermine the type of battles they wish to participate in. If you're looking to test out a level 50 team, then look for a battle against level 50 competition. Funneling all battles toward level 50 would also minimize the amount of usable Pokemon.

3. Negative effect on player-controlled daycares. Whether you're interested in it or not, player-controlled daycares will be a major aspect of this game. After you finish the storyline and additional quests, you really don't have any other reason to level Pokemon except to increase their trade value or to battle with them at higher levels. Daycares would essentially become obsolete--especially if some sort of daycare function is ever implemented which requires the maximum amount of obtainable badges.

Suggestions are always welcome; I just don't believe this would be in the best interest of the players.

You're joking right?

You do realize how tedious the game would be if it didn't scale pokemon back to 50? If you have competitive battles at 100, then players will have to grind hundreds of pokemon to level 100... That's a big no no if you actually want a competitive scene in this game.

In my opinion this suggestion is an absolute must in the game.

To address Pretentious even more directly:

1. You need lots of pokemon per species, for one. Otherwise you get wrecked by scouting. So it really won't have a negative effect on the economy. In fact it's more positive than negative, as without a scale back, players will have to grind so much that they will stop playing the game, thus less buyers and sellers, and thus a worse economy.

2. Wut? This will be a positive effect on tournaments so that more people can participate... Also, if you want to play level 50s but everyone else is playing level 100s... -.-

3. I'm not really sure as to how the daycare will actually function, so I won't spend much time on this one.

If you don't scale pokemon back to level 50, then you seriously hinder the competitive aspect of the game... It's honestly a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to make a level 50 and a level 100 of the same exact pokemon (nature, moves, and general IVs).

1. You need lots of pokemon per species, for one. Otherwise you get wrecked by scouting. So it really won't have a negative effect on the economy. In fact it's more positive than negative, as without a scale back, players will have to grind so much that they will stop playing the game, thus less buyers and sellers, and thus a worse economy.

2. Wut? This will be a positive effect on tournaments so that more people can participate... Also, if you want to play level 50s but everyone else is playing level 100s... -.-

3. I'm not really sure as to how the daycare will actually function, so I won't spend much time on this one.

If you don't scale pokemon back to level 50, then you seriously hinder the competitive aspect of the game... It's honestly a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to make a level 50 and a level 100 of the same exact pokemon (nature, moves, and general IVs).

When you consider any sort of suggestion, you have to consider the repercussions it has on all aspects of the game. You're biased toward competitive battling--and there's nothing wrong with that. However, this game is not a battle simulator. A HUGE part of the endgame for Pokemon IS a grind fest. Whether you're hunting for Pokemon with better IVs, training Pokemon to level 100, or looking for shinies, it's all a grind. You have to put in work to reap the benefits. I don't like to use the word never, but I highly doubt that this game, an MMO, will ever reach the same "competitive battling" scene as the one you're hoping for. It's simply impossible to do that whenever a Pokemon is considered complete as soon as it reaches whichever level (past 50) that it learns its last competitive move. The easier it is for all players to be on the same playing field, the more difficult it will be to maintain longevity.

1. Not every player who will play PRO has the intention of becoming a competitive battler. People will buy, sell, and trade competitive Pokemon consistently even if they aren't battlers. Competitive battlers most likely won't be the OT of the Pokemon they use, and they most likely won't be the person who trained them to level 100. That's just how it works in this type of setting.

2. This would not have a positive effect on tournaments. Using a level 50 Pokemon and a level 100 Pokemon in a level 50 battle isn't the same thing, and neither is using a level 30 Pokemon and forcing it to level 50. Are you suggesting that these lower Pokemon should be able to use level 50 movesets? or that level 50 Pokemon should be allowed to use higher-level movesets?

The "competitive" scene in PRO will not be a cookie-cut design of a battle simulator or "real" competitive battling. There aren't going to be perfect Pokemon floating around everywhere. As the game grows, there will certainly be more chances for near-perfect Pokemon, but this won't happen anytime soon... and I highly doubt that they'll be available for players who aren't willing to grind in some form or fashion (hunting or training).

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

When you consider any sort of suggestion, you have to consider the repercussions it has on all aspects of the game. You're biased toward competitive battling--and there's nothing wrong with that. However, this game is not a battle simulator. A HUGE part of the endgame for Pokemon IS a grind fest. Whether you're hunting for Pokemon with better IVs, training Pokemon to level 100, or looking for shinies, it's all a grind. You have to put in work to reap the benefits. I don't like to use the word never, but I highly doubt that this game, an MMO, will ever reach the same "competitive battling" scene as the one you're hoping for. It's simply impossible to do that whenever a Pokemon is considered complete as soon as it reaches whichever level (past 50) that it learns its last competitive move. The easier it is for all players to be on the same playing field, the more difficult it will be to maintain longevity.

1. Not every player who will play PRO has the intention of becoming a competitive battler. People will buy, sell, and trade competitive Pokemon consistently even if they aren't battlers. Competitive battlers most likely won't be the OT of the Pokemon they use, and they most likely won't be the person who trained them to level 100. That's just how it works in this type of setting.

2. This would not have a positive effect on tournaments. Using a level 50 Pokemon and a level 100 Pokemon in a level 50 battle isn't the same thing, and neither is using a level 30 Pokemon and forcing it to level 50. Are you suggesting that these lower Pokemon should be able to use level 50 movesets? or that level 50 Pokemon should be allowed to use higher-level movesets?

The "competitive" scene in PRO will not be a cookie-cut design of a battle simulator or "real" competitive battling. There aren't going to be perfect Pokemon floating around everywhere. As the game grows, there will certainly be more chances for near-perfect Pokemon, but this won't happen anytime soon... and I highly doubt that they'll be available for players who aren't willing to grind in some form or fashion (hunting or training).

Well, what happened at Pokemmo (now don't dismiss me yet, hear me out), what ended up happening is that people would just naturally limit themselves to 50's. The issue with that is that if you ever accidentally over leveled a pokemon, that pokemon essentially became worthless and was a huge discouragement to the player. I'm thinking on a system scale, and am not focusing on a few aspects. Yes, grind is good in an MMO, but too much grind is bad, really bad. And without a level modifier down to 50 (not up) then you start getting into "too grindy".

1. It really wouldn't hurt the economy. In fact it would actually help in that people just don't randomly lose vast amounts of wealth due to a single level up over 50.

2. I'm very aware that 50's are not the same as 100's (by a very very small amount). I thought I made it clear that the level would be lowered to 50, not raised. As for movesets, there are very few that don't get the moves they need before 50.

And yet, the competitve aspect is one of the main selling points of the game. And you are literally saying "keep it much less than perfect to keep the economy well".

I see no problem why there shouldn't be the option to battle at lv50 with Pokemon above that level.

The game downscales it for you and I don't think there would change much, it would also allow the game to have competitive double battles a la VGC.

What I hope though is to see this game's tournaments to be lv100, so people will have to level their pokes to lv100 and the metagame will look similar to Smogon OU.

290pmq8.png

Well, what happened at spam (now don't dismiss me yet, hear me out), what ended up happening is that people would just naturally limit themselves to 50's. The issue with that is that if you ever accidentally over leveled a pokemon, that pokemon essentially became worthless and was a huge discouragement to the player. I'm thinking on a system scale, and am not focusing on a few aspects. Yes, grind is good in an MMO, but too much grind is bad, really bad. And without a level modifier down to 50 (not up) then you start getting into "too grindy".

1. It really wouldn't hurt the economy. In fact it would actually help in that people just don't randomly lose vast amounts of wealth due to a single level up over 50.

2. I'm very aware that 50's are not the same as 100's (by a very very small amount). I thought I made it clear that the level would be lowered to 50, not raised. As for movesets, there are very few that don't get the moves they need before 50.

And yet, the competitve aspect is one of the main selling points of the game. And you are literally saying "keep it much less than perfect to keep the economy well".

I'm sorry, but this suggestion makes the game entirely way too easy. Training a Pokemon to at least level 50 takes very little time.

I just don't see how the "competitive" scene in this game will not revolve around max level Pokemon.

1. See above.

2. My mistake. I read your post wrong.

I have absolutely NO problem with making this suggestion a choice for battles. I just don't see how it could possibly fit into this game as the primary battle system.

You can battle any way that you want in this game, but the best PRO players should always be the ones who can win max level tournaments.

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

If you accidentally level up a pokemon past its threshold point, how is that down to us if we dont 'scale' levels for balltes. Thats down on u and u alone. We wont hold peoples hands here in thwt respectx.

What i do agree on is the tiered battling structure, with set level battles.

We want competitive battling, but not at the expense of having to limit endgame content. All proper endgame stuff needs people with lvl 100 pokes to even access anyway, so to be able to get mega stones for example youll need to get decent lvl 100 teams. So i fail to see the problem here.

TJ6qktU.gif

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

the philosophy that shane posted a while back "we dont want u to have lvl 100 pokes in a day", no flatbattles and a competitive scenes dont work together, just saying.

nobody wants 3 days of leveling for 1 comp or whatever, so flat battles are a must imo.