Asking advise for PVP team building

Sparkflame

Hi, guys. I currently built a mega-metagross team as following, and it works well for now.

But I'm considering if I need a healing wish user to give metagross the second life. Latias is the first choice but she is also weak to dark type. 

Do you guys have any advise about it? or any general idea to improve the team. Thanks~

team.png.f1b32edac59edee134eda009c06f6d39.png

• Like 1

Hey, Interesting Team, before I suggest some changes of the teammates, I would mention some changes in their sets first. So let's start....

First off, I would suggest to change Tangrowth's set to a defensive one, or, invest 128 defense ev's in order to avoid the possible 2HKO of an Adamant Mega Swampert after damage from Stealth Rocks.
Calculations:

252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 166-196 (41 - 48.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Tangrowth: 148-176 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Next up, is the change of the moveset of Metagross, your teams lacks priority moves (even though Priorities aren't necessary, they can be useful in some situations) I would replace hammer arm/ ice punch to bullet punch, as Bullet Punch is an option to allow Mega Metagross to pick off weakened Pokemon, however, the loss of a coverage move is often not much worth it.

That's all for the changes in terms of sets.

Next up, is changing a teammate, which is Garchomp, I would suggest to replace Garchomp into a Wallbreaker, Honorable Mentions of that is, Azumarill. The Banded, or the Choice Band Set, any could work from one of those sets. It can also support Metagross with Dark Resist and decent bulk.

Feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

Hope I Helped 🙂

Edited by Leafbolt8

Pokemon Revolution Online IGN: Leafbolt8

Discord ID: yourdog#4342

Pokemon Showdown IGN: Leafbolt8 

On 6/17/2021 at 8:20 PM, Leafbolt8 said:

Hey, Interesting Team, before I suggest some changes of the teammates, I would mention some changes in their sets first. So let's start....

First off, I would suggest to change Tangrowth's set to a defensive one, or, invest 128 defense ev's in order to avoid the possible 2HKO of an Adamant Mega Swampert after damage from Stealth Rocks.
Calculations:

252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 166-196 (41 - 48.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Tangrowth: 148-176 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Next up, is the change of the moveset of Metagross, your teams lacks priority moves (even though Priorities aren't necessary, they can be useful in some situations) I would replace hammer arm/ ice punch to bullet punch, as Bullet Punch is an option to allow Mega Metagross to pick off weakened Pokemon, however, the loss of a coverage move is often not much worth it.

That's all for the changes in terms of sets.

Next up, is changing a teammate, which is Garchomp, I would suggest to replace Garchomp into a Wallbreaker, Honorable Mentions of that is, Azumarill. The Banded, or the Choice Band Set, any could work from one of those sets. It can also support Metagross with Dark Resist and decent bulk.

Feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

Hope I Helped 🙂

Thanks for your reply, and your advice is helpful!

First, I think invest more def for Tangrowth aginst Swampert is necessary and I will do that latter.

As for the scarf garchomp, the main reason I choose it is I hope it works as a counter for the boosting move uesers, such mega Charizard-X, Volcarona, Dragonite. etc.

It can outspeed them after +1 rank of speed, and kill them.

Therefore, my metagross choose a larger coverage rather than a priority move.

What you think about this probelm? how to tackle the issue of boosting move uesers? For example, the situation is that my Tangrowth now is facing Volcarona, and I know it will Quiver Dance next turn. Of course,  Azumarill with aua jet can deal with this, but how about a Charizard-X with dragon dance?

Look forward for your opinion🙂

Edited by sparkflame

Hey, as for Charizard X, there are a lot of ways for your team to counter it. First off is Azumarill, Azumarill resists both of Char X's STAB Moves, be sure to watch out for Thunder Punch Variants. Next up is Zapdos, you can either cripple it with Rocky Helmet Damage and possible paralyzing it by Static or spam roost while Char X is losing health from Rocky Helmet, and lastly, Stealth Rock, it does 50% for a normal Charizard while does 25% on Charizard X, and that's a decent damage. 

Calculations:

+1 252 Atk Charizard Thunder Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 220-260 (64.3 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Charizard Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 175-207 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So that's all, Hope I Helped :)

Pokemon Revolution Online IGN: Leafbolt8

Discord ID: yourdog#4342

Pokemon Showdown IGN: Leafbolt8 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...