Suggestion for Nicknaming Pokemon...

Kyramei

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nickname of pokemon is not need as complexity to control the appropriate name of trainers and their pokemon. Many trainers, who has inappropriate has been banned/changed. So do u want banned because your pokemon have inappropriate? And why staffs much let more works to do?

Either a lot of people aren't actually reading the post, or do not understand what "client-side only" means. You would literally not be able to see anybody else's pokemon nicknames except your own. You wouldn't even know someone nicknamed their pokemon unless they told you. If that were the case, I doubt moderation would be necessary. (Filter totally okay either way though.) Even better if nicknames disappeared when the pokemon were traded. And editing a nickname should be as easy as clicking on it and backspacing.

If it were that simple, I think it would be perfect.

127820 Either a lot of people aren't actually reading the post, or do not understand what "client-side only" means. You would literally not be able to see anybody else's pokemon nicknames except your own. You wouldn't even know someone nicknamed their pokemon unless they told you. If that were the case, I doubt moderation would be necessary. (Filter totally okay either way though.) Even better if nicknames disappeared when the pokemon were traded. And editing a nickname should be as easy as clicking on it and backspacing.

If it were that simple, I think it would be perfect.

This would be Un-needed database space taken. Let's say for example that a name would be one byte.

There are more than 1 Million pokemon in the database.

if each of those gets a nickname that's 1 Million bytes.

Don't get me wrong, that's a very small footprint or so it seems.

As the game grows there will be increasingly more pokemon.

Even if someone chooses not to name their pokemon the field and the original pokemon name is still there.

It's not worth it.

[glow=red]The threats of a goldfish do not concern a shark.[/glow]

This would be Un-needed database space taken. Let's say for example that a name would be one byte.

Even if someone chooses not to name their pokemon the field and the original pokemon name is still there.

It's not worth it.

A named pokemon should not need more data to store than two not named ones, I think that's perfectly acceptable.

It's not worth it.

A named pokemon should not need more data to store than two not named ones, I think that's perfectly acceptable.

How u know it not store more data? And imagination every people have million nickname pokemon. Woww, it is a lot of thing :confused: Did you know the number of players very crowded, and each of them at least more than 100 pokemons :Sleeping:

Why spend resources for this feature useless, but not for server stable?

It's not worth it.

How u know it not store more data? And imagination every people have million nickname pokemon. Woww, it is a lot of thing :confused: Did you know the number of players very crowded, and each of them at least more than 100 pokemons :Sleeping:

Why spend resources for this feature useless, but not for server stable?

Look, I don't completely understand your comment but what I am saying is that, if coded properly, it should not use too much data. Say there is a limit of 8 letters per pokemon, and that every letter takes 8 bits (more than enough, that's for extended ASCII). That would be 64 bits per nickname.

Now think that every normal pokemon has its own dex number (in the range 1-700 or so, that's 10 bits), 6 evs (from 0 to 252, that's 8 bits each) and 6 ivs (6 times 5 bits), nature (5 bits), gender (1 bit) and ability (2 bits). That's 96 bits for each poke (and it must be more because every poke has its own ID number)!

I have 12 boxes full of pokes in my pc, and I would name 10-15 of them at most. Do you really thing that is a meaningful amount of data that would collapse the server?

I know that it takes time to code that kind of things, but in my opinion it would definitively improve the game experience a lot, at least for me and for people that like nicknaming their pokes.

Investing data, time, and effort into implementing something that is strictly client sided would be kind of pointless. I have a feeling that some day down the road if PRO becomes really big with the competitive community then they would likely invest the time in it. Until then, just be happy that you can play pokemon real time with other people!