Boss Rewards Suggestions

Zedivan

Hey, after seeing I'm not the only one kinda disappointed about some bosses rewards, I'd like to suggest a few changes. If you don't feel like reading so much, just skip to the "Suggestions" part.

First, I want to mention the bosses that I think are [glow=green]actually worth fighting,[/glow] those are:

Sage: My personal favorite boss, his reward is amazing, beating him grants you an Eevee, a Pokémon that's hard to get. You can get 1 every 2 weeks if you beat him, chances of getting a good one are very low, but still a great reward.

Naero: Access to egg moves and pretty good Pokémon rewards, (unless you have a terrible luck and get Smoochum 3 times in a row, heard that happened to someone)

Brock: He will always give you a Big Nugget plus another cool price (except the PP UP, but you still get the Big Nugget, so it's ok!)

The Pumpking King: Good Pokémon rewards, except Lotad that's now easy to find in Hoenn, but still ok rewards overall.

Jessie/James: Most Pokémon they give are hard to get, plus Silver Disc for Porygon is great.

Nikola: Great for those who lost their chance to catch legendaries.

Bosses that give you story progress or access to maps: this includes Lance, Maxie, Archie, Red and Youngster Joey.

I'd like to add more, but that's all. Yes, some other bosses might give you good rewards, but let me quote what another player commented in the Ingame BOSS guide

The problem is not the chances of getting those pokes itself, the problem are the completely useless rewards we get that don't at least compensate for the try.

Sometimes we even have to buy items, or have to use resources and a lot of time just to get to those bosses.

Maybe put something like rare candies/full restores/max revives/razor fangs/heat rock/expert belts and such instead of those rewards. This would encourage people to prepare for those bosses without fearing it would be a waste of time.

^That, you have a very low chance of getting a good reward, however the rewards you get if you're not lucky enough to get the cool one are underwhelming. I'm fighting all bosses every 2 weeks since I started playing around 4 months ago and I gotta say waiting 2 weeks to fight a NPC with a full level 120 team that has Mega Evolutions and legendaries just to get a PP UP, Max PP, Charcoal, abundant/common Pokémon, etc is awful. So now let's go to the suggestions.

[glow=red]Suggestions:[/glow]

1) Rewards based on skills+luck instead of just luck: Most bosses are a piece of cake if you know the right moment to boost a Pokémon, like using x6 Dragon Dance, x6 Calm Mind, x3 Sword Dance + a priority move, etc. Now with Evasion coded, Double Team/Minimize can be easily abused too. Do that and you'll sweep a boss team. Using items like Revives, Potions and stuff is another way to make them even easier. I often use setup moves and revives myself, but I accept it's not the fairiest way to beat a boss. So my suggestion is that you start the boss fight with a decent chance of getting the best reward, and said chance decreases each time you use either a boosting move or a restoring item. You can still get a good reward if you used 6 Dragon Dances, but the chances are lower, and you can get a bad reward even if you didn't use any boosting move/restoring item, but chances of getting the good one are better. This would also encourage people to think of a better way to beat bosses instead of just boosting a Gyarados like there's no tomorrow. I imagine this suggestion being pretty hard to code though...

2) %100 Hidden Ability chance in COMMON Pokémon given by bosses: This idea came to my mind last time I beat Wargreymon boss, he gave me a Vulpix... like, really??? Not that I don't like Vulpix, it's one of my favorite 1st gen Pokémon but... I could easily travel 3 cities to the south, enter Cinnabar Mansion, then get myself loads of Vulpix, and even synch them! But what if instead of an ordinary Vulpix, he gave me a Drought Vulpix? It woudn't be that bad, and it wouldn't be an OP reward either, I'd still need to be lucky with the nature and IVs.

Can be implemented with many Pokémon, for example if I get a Carvanha or a Shroomish from a boss I'll be like "meh another trash reward I could get myself in 10 minutes" but if it was Speed Boost Carvanha or a Quick Feet Shroomish instead then it'd be ok! This suggestion only applies for common Pokémon, the rare ones still have their usual 5% h.a. chance. As for Pokémon like Marill or Houndour whose h.a. isn't convenient, let them have the right one (Huge Power / Flash Fire in those cases)

And super common boss reward Pokémon like Gastly, that can only have 1 ability... at least let them have the right nature (Timid).

3) No More TMs! I currently have 7 Shadow Claw TMs and 8 Solarbeam TMs, just to mention some, all of them from bosses. TMs are imo a terrible reward, I can't do anything with all the TMs I got, nobody is gonna buy them 'cause people can easily get them in stores or gyms for 2k to 10k, and I'll never have enough Pokémon to spend 8 Solarbeam TMs anyway. If a boss is gonna give you a TM, then at least let it be a TM you can't get anywhere else (like Focus Blast)

Hope you like at least one of the 3 :Grin:

No.

i dont know if you have played any other MMO, but doing boss battles that guarantee stuff (except for ones like sage for example) is a big no-no. This will not be changed.

Also FYI, Brock wasnt supposed to always give a big nugget, so i will be checking this out and fixing shortly. So thanks for letting me know.

TJ6qktU.gif

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

217719 If a boss is gonna give you a TM, then at least let it be a TM you can't get anywhere else

This idea is great, other will make this game too easy

Team, can you consider it?

217719 The Pumpking King: Good Pokémon rewards

I beat him ~10 times and got 1 shuckle, 1 lotad and the other rewards were shiny stones B-)

1) Rewards based on skills+luck instead of just luck:

I agree with this, this doesn't grant a good reward but does give a reward for the more skilled players that think about the setup/comp to beat the bosses so they dont have to use glitches in order to win.

218164 So not only the 3 suggestions were insta declined but also one of the best bosses was (or will be) nerfed, wow ._. guess I'll better try not to suggest anything else lol

I think he just say no to #2 though? Since that's your only suggestion that guarantees something.

Anyway, even in other MMOs bosses have useless common drops, I think that's what the TMs represent.

217732 No.

i dont know if you have played any other MMO, but doing boss battles that guarantee stuff (except for ones like sage for example) is a big no-no. This will not be changed.

Also FYI, Brock wasnt supposed to always give a big nugget, so i will be checking this out and fixing shortly. So thanks for letting me know.

Sorry to say but i suppose nobody is ever going to give a suggestion again if they are 'trashed' like that.

And I play WoW at top20 world level (believe it or not, make a -free- account we can login and you can check yourself), i know a thing or two about MMOs.

Rewards must be solid and scale linearly with the difficulty of the fight you are doing. I agree 100% with the OT, most of the bosses aren't even worth doing and many you do once to unlock some storyline/shops and never again. They have legendaries, they have mega, some won't allow you some type of pokemon...least i expect is a good reward, not a couple tms and 5k poke$. Kills the purpose and i'm just not gonna bother to do it again.

We are talking about end-game here, probably the most important check to see if a game is long-lasting and succesfull or a simple 'complete and quit'. PvP is lackluster due to missing items/abilities, you guys are working on it and we are patiently waiting. However if PvE keeps frustrating people with 'You recieved an Onyx' after beating a Mega Gengar and Dialga then doubt people bother invest time after a couple weeks.

I've lost so many friends in this game because of this kind of RNG, sure more and more people are joining daily but if you cannot keep the old ones sooner or later the wheel stops moving forward.

And just a hint, first step towards gaming success is accepting constructive criticism and being able to discuss about things :Grin:

Just my 2cents.

1) Rewards based on skills+luck instead of just luck:

I don't like this at all.

It's unfair to say that players that use setup moves to win the fight should get decreased chances at the good stuff.

There aren't a hude number pokemon that can take more than 2 hits from any level 120 fully evolved/mega/legendary pokemon safely.

The raid boss doesnt care how he's killed, only that it gets done.