Why is Sabrina such a huge road block!?

Otsu

Progressing in this game was a pretty smooth sail and I was enjoying it a lot, until I got to Sabrina.

Then I hit a major road block. My team was all level ~45 with the highest one being 50, and I was absolutely slaughtered by Sabrina. I went ahead and killing all the remaining swimmers, did Seafoam and Power Plant, leveled up to the point where my team is now all 52~58, switched a weak pokémon for a Gyarados... and still no go!

So now I realize that I won't be able to beat her until all of my team is level 60 and that I necessarily need an Umbreon to have a chance.

I don't get it - which is she such a road block, with a curve of difficulty way, WAY ahead any other gym leader's? I wish I had more trainers I could beat or a better way to grind tham Seamfoam 4F, too.

39869 Progressing in this game was a pretty smooth sail and I was enjoying it a lot, until I got to Sabrina.

Then I hit a major road block. My team was all level ~45 with the highest one being 50, and I was absolutely slaughtered by Sabrina. I went ahead and killing all the remaining swimmers, did Seafoam and Power Plant, leveled up to the point where my team is now all 52~58, switched a weak pokémon for a Gyarados... and still no go!

So now I realize that I won't be able to beat her until all of my team is level 60 and that I necessarily need an Umbreon to have a chance.

I don't get it - which is she such a road block, with a curve of difficulty way, WAY ahead any other gym leader's? I wish I had more trainers I could beat or a better way to grind tham Seamfoam 4F, too.

Interesting. Outside of Erika (Celadon's Gym Leader), I have read similar complaints by players about every single Gym Leader. Some couldn't defeat Brock, others weren't ready for Misty, and a handful struggled with Blaine. Personally, the most difficult gym in Kanto for me was Fuschia's.

Don't get discouraged. The more time you spend leveling up here will help you in the future.

Good luck.

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

The best pokemon suited for this gym from my personal experience, is to have pokemon that knows any dark priority moves, aswell as just having very fast pokemon. Although, Alakazam is no doubt the one that causes the most trouble. I had to carry a few revives to defeat this leader.

EDIT: But something that I believe would make things much easier, is just get any pokemon with light screen and equip it with Light Clay(you get light clay quite early on, almost impossible to miss)Voltorb can learn it by leveling for an example, and it is among the fastest pokemon out there, atleast when in it's evolved form. On a second note, get a Mr.mime instead by trading poliwhirl to someone in the same town as Misty is. Let it use light screen and I am sure things will be much easier.

Sabrina is difficult only because you usually don't have Pokes to counter his team. Ture, you get an effective counter only about half an hour earlier, and you have to level it up, but the game can't give you a counter for every leader on a silver plate. Sabrina was in EVERY Pokemon game (official and MMO included) a difficult leader especially because of that.

Thanks for your answers.

So yeah, I just have to grind Umbreon into victory.

And what would be the best way to level from 50-60 in Kanto? Am I being dumb by just killing stuff in Seaform cavern 4F over and over!? (Basically level 30-40 pokémon, often times Dewgong, Slowbro and Golbat which are good exp).

And last question: Is TM Shadow Ball in Celadon Game Mart? Or Where?

Victory road is pretty useful aswell, notable the one right after Elite four where you tend to face a lot of ursarings.

Shadow Ball dosen't exist as a TM I believe, but you might find something else useful here. If the answer you are seeking for isn't listed in this guide, it's most likely does not exist.

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=3669

I'm not sure, but wasn't the Shadow Ball TM in Morty's Gym in Johto?

Also, you can defeat Alakazam by crippling it then using a powerful physical attack - Alakazam's Defense stat is really bad (its base Defense is only 45) meaning it absolutely cannot take physical hits well if Barrier/Reflect is not up.

My Sturdy Magneton gets a Thunder Wave in, then my Crobat's Acrobatics easily pummeled Alakazam down. Even my Sandslash can outspeed it and gets an Earthquake in, now that Alakazam is paralyzed.

Seriously, I defeated Sabrina with a team that has THREE Poison-types in it. Literally half of my team is weak to Psychic. But instead of using Dark-types (my Eevee's IVs are really bad to be evolved into an Umbreon, and who knows what kind of good luck is needed to find a usable Absol), I resort to using tactic with support moves. This is the wonderful thing about Pokemon, it's not just all about power.

Hey,

The only problem i had (and i'm vs Giovanny at the moment , then elite 4) was vs Lt Surge and that was only a problem because all my pokemons were weak vs electricity.

Probably most people have problem with them, because they just go and fight the trainers and expect to beat the gym leaders. Pokemon was always a game about grinding some levels here and there, especially the more pokemons you had.

Vs Brock i had Squirtle as a starter and went vs him with a lvl 16 Wartortle.

Vs Misty i had an electric pokemon and the rest in the 20s. (Wartortle, Pidgeotto, Luxio)

Vs Lt Surge i had pokes in the 30s. (Wartotle, Pidgeotto, Gyarados, Luxray)

Vs Erika i had my Pidgeot to sweep her, my pokes were around lvl 36

Vs Fushia i trained a bit, since all my pokes except Wartortle were psyhical, and vs 2 weezings.... ugh. I was around lvl 45 with all of my pokes (Luxray, Gyarados , Pidgeot)

Vs Sabrina i went training in rock tunnel and found an Absol (perfect vs her, especially since i had sucker punch, priority move as long as the opposing pokes does an attack move and dark = immune to psychic). Was able to sweep Sabrina with Absol really easy, my pokes were aroung 55

Vs Blake i got myself a Vaporeon and made Vaporeaon from 42 to 62

Now vs Giovanny am training all my pokes to 70, and now my team is (Luxio lvl 64, Magmar 40, Haunter 40, Absol 62, Pidgeot 61, Vaporeon 64)

Good luck to all !! ^^