Jolly vs Naive for Salamence

Guest lampshadejaz

Guest lampshadejaz

Which is a better fit for a sun team, serving the roll mainly consisting of physical attack wall breaker. The Naive one is tempting because I can teach it Flamethrower and it'll get the sun bonus to double as a special attacker as well. But I have a feeling that will come into play a small-ish percentage of the time and the SPATK IV isn't amazing anyways. Technically I could still teach the Jolly one Flamethrower as well and have that slightly higher speed stat.

Edit: Also note I have a Jolly Garchomp in this roll too, i'm going to try both and see which I like better. I feel the Garchomp is a better fit because his base stats are more all on in ATK and he's slightly faster.

j2UOuLk.png

YCkFpyk.png

Guest lampshadejaz
290633 I would just play Garchomp instead of Salamence if I were you. If you absolutely need a fire move then Garchomp can learn Fire Fang.

The Garchomp is a 31ATK 25SPD Jolly, the other IVs are trashy though. Also note, the Garchomp basically doesn't have an ability most games since I'll be in the sun most games. Maybe if I run into a sand storm opponent, it'll come in handy. Atleast the Salamence would have Intimidation as an ability to generate more value.

I also want to study the weakness/immunity differences between Garchomp and Salamence to see which fits into the sun team better.

290633 I would just play Garchomp instead of Salamence if I were you. If you absolutely need a fire move then Garchomp can learn Fire Fang.

The Garchomp is a 31ATK 25SPD Jolly, the other IVs are trashy though. Also note, the Garchomp basically doesn't have an ability most games since I'll be in the sun most games. Maybe if I run into a sand storm opponent, it'll come in handy. Atleast the Salamence would have Intimidation as an ability to generate more value.

I also want to study the weakness/immunity differences between Garchomp and Salamence to see which fits into the sun team better.

The IVs are fine you'll just get outsped by other Garchomps with higher speed. As an experienced battler on and off of this game I can safely tell you that Garchomp is a better pokemon than Salamence by far. It's bulkier, resists Stealth Rock damage, and can break defensively oriented pokemon with Swords Dance. They pretty much have the same counters in Slowbro, Mamoswine, Weavile, etc. Garchomp's ability, Sand Veil, isn't even that useful with a Sandstorm up anyway. So if you use Salamence you'll be forced to bring a rapid spinner / defogger due to Salamence's crippling weakness to Stealth Rock. You won't take hits as easily as Garchomp. And you won't be able to hit pokemon as hard as Garchomp with your only STAB move being Dragon Claw / Outrage compared to Garchomp's STAB Earthquake. I tend to lose to opponents who use Garchomp. I feel somewhat relieved when I see a Salamence. lol :P

Guest lampshadejaz

The IVs are fine you'll just get outsped by other Garchomps with higher speed. As an experienced battler on and off of this game I can safely tell you that Garchomp is a better pokemon than Salamence by far. It's bulkier, resists Stealth Rock damage, and can break defensively oriented pokemon with Swords Dance. They pretty much have the same counters in Slowbro, Mamoswine, Weavile, etc. Garchomp's ability, Sand Veil, isn't even that useful with a Sandstorm up anyway. So if you use Salamence you'll be forced to bring a rapid spinner / defogger due to Salamence's crippling weakness to Stealth Rock. You won't take hits as easily as Garchomp. And you won't be able to hit pokemon as hard as Garchomp with your only STAB move being Dragon Claw / Outrage compared to Garchomp's STAB Earthquake. I tend to lose to opponents who use Garchomp. I feel somewhat relieved when I see a Salamence. lol :P

That last part says it all ;-)

Guest lampshadejaz
290681 Well man i have a sun team i have no salamance but have garchomp and flygon normally i use flygon on it , but yea beteween garchomp and salamance i would put gharchomp .

Awesome suggestion. I like the type effectiveness of Flygon. Being resistent or immune to Fire/Ground/Rock all in one Earthquake dealing poke is pretty awesome. I need a poke to fill that role. I may look into catching me some Trapinch... I came to this game from the gameboy red/blue games, so i'm really only familiar with the first 150 poke haha.

Guest PokemonSake

Always jolly due to the decrease being an effected stat. Smogon battles prove that a perfect naive vs perfect jolly salamance a perfect jolly would win