Shamac's Healthcare Tips

Shamac

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Shamac! I love the fact that you've made this; taking care of ourselves is so important and gamers have a tendency to neglect their health. Have you heard of f.lux? Computer light is short wavelength enriched (meaning that it emits more blue light than natural light), and blue light suppresses the secretion of melatonin (a hormone which helps regulate our circadian rhythm). By playing during the wee hours of the night, your computer can actually make you feel more energized and awake than you actually are, which might lead you to stay up longer than you actually should. f.lux changes the color temperature of your monitor and adjusts it to your sleeping schedule; by making your monitor produce normal amounts of blue light in the day and less during the night, your circadian rhythm isn't as affected by your computer light nearly as much. In the past, I had a tendency to stay up for absurd amounts of time on my laptop, even after my eyes hurt and felt heavy--because the blue light suppressed my melatonin so much that mentally, I felt wide awake. My mind and body were completely out of sync! After using f.lux, my sleeping schedule has become more regulated, and I usually get sleepy around the same time. (Though that doesn't say that I don't try to power through the sleepiness and stay up anyway, but that's more of a "me" problem... :confused:). I would honestly recommend it to anyone that uses any sort of device during the night, especially for those who are like me and would go to sleep at 5am :Shocked: You should consider mentioning this software in your tips!