PRO Wiki.

Naero

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I didn't know exactly where on forum to post this, so i post here because it's the only topic about PRO Wiki.

I want to edit the PRO Wiki pages for Headbutts:

http://prowiki.info/index.php?title=Headbutt_trees

To add Sinnoh Headbutts.

So, i looked into the code, the data come from the templates :

1521646467-capture1.gif

So, i looked into the Template:HeadbuttData : http://prowiki.info/index.php?title=Special:GetData/HeadbuttSpawnData

1521646546094.png.72793bc971c4b258303e41bf80e21c24.png

The data came from this page in CSV.

I modified the files :

1521646636976.png.3799f742f9a033ef8da7339962c909f4.png

I respected the formatting, i added Common for all spawn and 10-12 for level, false data to don't have bug.

We can see my data added on the CSV files :

1521646730802.thumb.png.b5a8582cf2533e1d505fa83d4c106a6b.png

And in the end, i want to update the Heatbutts Trees pages :

1521646803450.png.4f369cb7b5fdd0d1bdea68e41af5c16b.png

But i have this error :

1521646831416.png.8944c3392350f6733a85a16ee129af95.png

1521646861378.thumb.png.e2f1b636cd6b34b6a2901138b98d482a.png

It looks like the PROWiki doesn't find the data i updated, like the area doesn't exist even after creating it.

So, i admit, i am lost :(

Can someone help me find where this error come from?

Cordialy,

Kaminokage.

Server : Gold - Name : Kaminokage - Guild : FrenchConnexion

15b3f2a0801769846fa2e82efb7e6e5e.png

Ex-member of the Chaos on Silver

My personnal shop : https://tinyurl.com/y8bbuoq9

I'm not sure about the error. However, I've asked Naero about updating the spawn tables, since I was having some trouble with that too.

It seems that because the spawn tables take a huuuuuge amount of data, it is only cached once every two weeks to prevent lag. As a result, even if you make changes to the spawns, the respective pages will not be immediately updated. If you make an error, well that error is unfortunately going to stay for 2 weeks. So you have to make extra sure that everything is clean!

I've confirmed that my changes were correctly applied 4-5 days ago, so the next update will happen in a little more than a week.

214157603_sayumigrowlithesignature.png.4a2a82daf244704d7e1e67f4faf14065.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off, I'd like to say that I am extremely appreciative of all the work that has gone into making and editing this wiki. Thank you very much for providing a great resource to the community! That being said, I have a general suggestion which I think will make the wiki function better.

I am a native English speaker with a strong command of the language, but the word choice and number of somewhat unnecessary adjectives on the pages is a bit much. I understand that everyone has their own writing style, but I think the manner in which the pages are written detracts from the effectiveness of the wiki.

To me, the most important goal of the wiki is this: to provide accurate information that users can quickly and easily access and understand. I don't think that the pages are written in a way that's as easy to understand as they could be. As you can tell from this post, I speak English well, but reading the wiki makes me tired. I would guess that a decent fraction of users are not very good at understanding sophisticated English writing due to being young, not being native speakers, or for other reasons. If a decent fraction of users have trouble understanding - or worse, cannot understand - some of the sentences on the wiki, then the wiki loses its effectiveness.

For example, take the following passage, which is the description of Route 10:

Route 10 is a mountainous Kanto route that is perpendicularly interlocated between Route 9 and Lavender Town, serving as a junctional route therebetween.

It is a bisegmental route that is bisected by the Rock Tunnel, which must be traveled through in order to reach the southern terminus of the area en route to Lavender Town. Since the Rock Tunnel is lightless, HM05 (Flash) and a Pokémon toting that move is needed for the area to be illuminable.

Until a Pokéflute is obtained via its rewardful quest to rouse the roadblocking Snorlax on Route 12, Route 10 is one of the impassable destinations that one needs to travel to in a roundabout itinerary to reach Celadon City for the first time and ultimately obtain the Rainbow Badge—the fourth badge in Kanto's successional line of gyms.

The route's waterway can be surfed in order to reach the Power Plant on the expanse of land amiddle.

In my opinion, this is written in an unnecessary way. Someone who is young or is learning English would have difficulty reading this. I would write the passage as follows:

Route 10 is a route in Kanto located between Route 9 and Lavender Town. It contains the Rock Tunnel, and players must travel through it to reach Lavender Town. Rock Tunnel is dark, so it is helpful to bring along a Pokemon with HM05 (Flash) to make it easier to see. There is a Pokemon Center right next to the northern entrance of the Rock Tunnel. The Power Plant is also located on this route, but it cannot be reached until the player has the ability to Surf.

That's it. Concise, contains all major relevant information, and easy to understand. I acknowledge that the wiki is supposed to be official and formal, but there's such a thing as too much. The passage I presented is free from grammatical and spelling errors, still written formally enough, and much easier to understand. It being concise is helpful because the longer a block of text, the more unlikely people are to read it, which further defeats the purpose.

I realize that what I've just described is fairly high-effort and lower-impact in terms of projects, and I'm not demanding that people slave away to edit all the pages. Again, I am appreciative of everyone who worked on creating this resource - this is simply a suggestion on how to improve the effectiveness of the wiki. As far as why I don't do this myself, I wouldn't want to rewrite the entire wiki without consultation.

(Also, "accessibilizing" isn't a word.)

Edited by FwMatt
  • Like 1

I would believe the one who wrote the Kanto wiki is the same as the one who is writing the script for the game, as that "strange" vocabulary is also used in-game.

Said vocabulary seems to be old British. I actually investigated on one of the weird words to know if it was indeed a real word or even its right usage. And while I was amazed it was actually the correct usage, I discovered that it was a word that was only used in the 15th century. I'm actually impressed someone knows such a wide range of ye olde british words, but it does indeed make the wiki unnecessarily hard to read.

Anyway, I don't have such vocabulary, so you can at least expect the pages I'm editing to be normal English. I don't plan on going over the Kanto pages, but at least, when I'm copy pasting because of similar content, I make sure to actually fix the vocabulary.

214157603_sayumigrowlithesignature.png.4a2a82daf244704d7e1e67f4faf14065.png

-

-

The PRO Wiki was primarily written by Naero a former Content Scripter for PRO, his vocabulary is something he is known for. He never stops writing like that, if you go ahead and check in PRO itself, there are several things that he did that are easily to identify as his work (Goldenrod quest line, Bug Catching Contest scripts or the Sinnoh transportation system).

As he wrote the Wiki for the most part alone, of course he uses the way he is used to write. There is nothing wrong with that; even as a not native speaker I could easily understand and edit posts for him. Also "accessibilizing" is a very uncommon word but if you go ahead and google it; quite a few websites use that word in their articles.

• random number generation

An acronym for "random number generator" or "random number generation", it refers to the process by which computers generate apparently random numbers, essentially the computer equivalent of 'chance'.

• 1 year later...

An official PRO Wiki Discord is now live—an outreach I felt the resource was long-overdue for.

Communication is the lifeblood behind such a collaborative resource; and although communicatory mediums have existed prior, most were found to be either too disjunctive, such as DMs; too fringe for the average usership, such the wiki's own intraforums; or overformal, as many might feel about these very forums for such discussions. Each medium has its own purpose, but none have optimality as all-encompassing as the Discord-server.

With the advent of PRO Wiki Discord, there's now a much better-tailored platform to post about everything within the wiki's ambit: technical support, feedback, error-reporting, and collaboration.

Feel free to join it via the invitational link (infra), and feel even freer to use it to synergize with fellow editors or otherwise readerly contributors.

Join the PRO Wiki Discord here!

• Like 2

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.