disabling staffview command is a real mistake

Algerie31

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

The only defense they have against it is this and this...

And that in itself is kind of funny... PRO has completely lost it and now they're dragging themselves down the drain...

I had high hopes for PRO. But this update and the lack of defense for why... made me lose hope.

Edited by Electrocute4u

Contributor 

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different"

Forum post | Bulba - Discord Bot | Website

MyAnimeList Profile and Stats

Discord Status

spacer.png

Hi. Before starting, let me disclaim that I am not the one that makes the decisions on the game zoom, but I did participate in the discussion around it before it was implemented.

Staffview, just like its name implies, was never meant to be available for players, only for testing purposes. However, we are aware that many players, myself included, have gotten themselves used to staffview, and the new zoom system may be difficult to get used to.

That said, what has been said in the announcement is not the full reasons for the implementation of the new game zoom system. It serves as well to fix the following problems:

- Playing on a lower resolution left the player with almost no vision on the default game zoom. We wanted players to not be penalized for playing on a lower resolution.

- As Content Scripters and Mappers, we were unable to determine the field of view of players. For CS, having every player with the same field of view allows us to better determine ranges such as how far a trainer can see the player, or from which range players can see NPCs during a scripted event. For Mappers, this makes it possible to create maps that favor exploration, as they no longer have to assume players can see the whole map at once.

- Having to open the console and type staffview every time you launched the game was inconvenient. It's much more ideal to be able to launch the game and have the same game zoom from the last session.

- Having to control the game zoom from the console was also not ideal. It's better to have everything in the option menu.

That said, much of the current content assume a larger game zoom, and we are aware this can potentially cause problems, such as trainers challenging the player from offscreen. The game zoom no longer being a round number also makes the pixel ratio inconsistent, which is personally what I don't like.

We are still opened to feedback, but in order to evaluate compromises and alternatives, we need more constructive feedback. What exactly do you dislike about the new game zoom? If you think the field of view needs to be increased, can you show us locations where the current game zoom is objectively making it hard to navigate or is causing other problems?

• Like 7

Hi. Before starting, let me disclaim that I am not the one that makes the decisions on the game zoom, but I did participate in the discussion around it before it was implemented.

Staffview, just like its name implies, was never meant to be available for players, only for testing purposes. However, we are aware that many players, myself included, have gotten themselves used to staffview, and the new zoom system may be difficult to get used to.

That said, what has been said in the announcement is not the full reasons for the implementation of the new game zoom system. It serves as well to fix the following problems:

- Playing on a lower resolution left the player with almost no vision on the default game zoom. We wanted players to not be penalized for playing on a lower resolution.

- As Content Scripters and Mappers, we were unable to determine the field of view of players. For CS, having every player with the same field of view allows us to better determine ranges such as how far a trainer can see the player, or from which range players can see NPCs during a scripted event. For Mappers, this makes it possible to create maps that favor exploration, as they no longer have to assume players can see the whole map at once.

- Having to open the console and type staffview every time you launched the game was inconvenient. It's much more ideal to be able to launch the game and have the same game zoom from the last session.

- Having to control the game zoom from the console was also not ideal. It's better to have everything in the option menu.

That said, much of the current content assume a larger game zoom, and we are aware this can potentially cause problems, such as trainers challenging the player from offscreen. The game zoom no longer being a round number also makes the pixel ratio inconsistent, which is personally what I don't like.

We are still opened to feedback, but in order to evaluate compromises and alternatives, we need more constructive feedback. What exactly do you dislike about the new game zoom? If you think the field of view needs to be increased, can you show us locations where the current game zoom is objectively making it hard to navigate or is causing other problems?

the view is too zoomed in

i dont want to "explore" the map where i already got everything done just because i dont know the map by heart

i should know if i'm foing to a dead end, where is the pokecenter approximativily, where is the next route without bumping into trees or things like that

if you want specific map to be like a maze for an event, ok no problem, you can reduce the fild of view like you do with dark cave or viridian maze but for the rest of the map, just let us see 5 meters around us

If you want some constructive feedback, then here you go.

There is no particular map that needs to be mentioned... because it applies on all maps regardless of map/route size.

• The game zoom feels like I'm sitting 20 cm away from my computer screen. (Never been a fan of small FOV in general tbf)
  • Navigating larger routes is inconsistently harder now unless you already know your way around it. (i.g Event area for newer players)
  • Making forum guides and showing correct routes will be nearly impossible now, which degrades the quality of forum guides in the future.
  • It feels genuinely weird playing PRO with this FOV... Kind of a vague point, but still true.
  • And as you stated, I've experienced a trainer who suddenly spots me off-screen, freezes the screen and it takes at least 2 seconds before I see them appear on the screen.

I play on PRO with a 1920x1080 monitor (windows ver) and it feels so weird.

I used to play in fullscreen mode because it increases my framerate considerably.

But with the new update, I just cannot for the sake of it play in fullscreen mode...It sincerely hurts my eyes in the current state.

As much as it helps CS, I still feel like PRO as a whole should have handled this topic in a much better way.

There has been no interaction whatsoever with the community regarding it, only a hint in a response from Eaty on this suggestion regarding the upcoming change.

If I was to change something as important as FOV in a game, I would collect information that relates to FOV from the playerbase, before deciding on changing it.

But again, that's just what I'd personally do and have seen other gaming communities do when it comes to a game-changing mechanic.

TL;DR The game zoom feels too large and it hurts my eyes. It feels like sitting 20 cm away from the screen. And you should definitely read the whole thing, you lazy being ZeroDerp.png.33e2612287b12efe6a16ba9e40489fce.png

• Like 6

Contributor 

Discord Status

spacer.png

Gotta say... it's really not that big a deal.

It all depends on the player.

If I was gonna be honest, I very much dislike being restricted to a very small FOV in games.

It also has decreased the forum guides quality. So any future guides will have a "decreased" efficiency (because a lot of them utilized the staffview command)

So, it kind of is a big deal in a way, especially if you're a forum guide creator. Or if you're that type of person who loves wider FOV.

And, it seems like it was a very big deal for a lot of people on Discord after the forum changelog/feature was released.

Contributor 

Discord Status

spacer.png