Best Sceptile EV Train?

Delplays

Hello, I'm making my first forum post because I am really in doubt. 

What's the best EV train for a Lonely Sceptile (Still Treecko).

(Sorry if this is the wrong one, I don't know what I'm doing).

image.png.ba4ea624d679caa5f27c192dda103322.png

Edited by DelPlays

If its for story, you shouldn't really think much about its EV stats and could just go for Atk and whatever other stats you would like to persue.

But if you're trying to use it in PvP, I would probably go for a Jolly, Timid or Modest nature and get some better IVs first.

However, if you still want to EV train it, I would most likely focus on raising its ATK and SPD EV, despite SPD IV being below average. And have it preferably hold a Focus Sash or any other item of your choice. As its Lonely in Nature, its Defense is pretty much nonexistent, which means it is pretty much dead to any Physical attack, especially a x2. Which is why a Focus Sash is necessary to keep it alive, but its too bad it doesn't have its Hidden Ability "Unburden", which doubles the SPD when the item it holds is consumed/used, which would be ideal with a focus sash, pretty much outspeeding most mons.

Here is the moveset I've used as a general reference above:

Spoiler

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor / Drain Punch

I'm not a Pokemon expert, nevertheless any PvP expert, but this information is based off a moveset that looks promising for the Lonely Nature the Treecko has. But don't take my words for it, there are probably a lot of other good sets or ways to make the current Pokemon work in a battle/PvP scenario that I'm not aware of. Its also most likely that the Pokemon you have is not up to par with battling anything, which is why I can't claim myself knowledgeable enough to proclaim that EV training ATK and SPD will make your Pokemon any better. But this is what I would've done in your position. But as I said at the start, if its for story, you probably wouldn't need to focus on EV training it, but perhaps focus on getting ATK to 252 at least and run a moveset that only has physical attacks if you want to use it for story progression.

Edited by Electrocute4u
  • Like 1

Contributor 

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different"

Forum post | Bulba - Discord Bot | Website

MyAnimeList Profile and Stats

Discord Status

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Electrocute4u said:

If its for story, you shouldn't really think much about its EV stats and could just go for Atk and whatever other stats you would like to persue.

But if you're trying to use it in PvP, I would probably go for a Jolly, Timid or Modest nature and get some better IVs first.

However, if you still want to EV train it, I would most likely focus on raising its ATK and SPD EV, despite SPD IV being below average. And have it preferably hold a Focus Sash or any other item of your choice. As its Lonely in Nature, its Defense is pretty much nonexistent, which means it is pretty much dead to any Physical attack, especially a x2. Which is why a Focus Sash is necessary to keep it alive, but its too bad it doesn't have its Hidden Ability "Unburden", which doubles the SPD when the item it holds is consumed/used, which would be ideal with a focus sash, pretty much outspeeding most mons.

Here is the moveset I've used as a general reference above:

Hide contents

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor / Drain Punch

I'm not a Pokemon expert, nevertheless any PvP expert, but this information is based off a moveset that looks promising for the Lonely Nature the Treecko has. But don't take my words for it, there are probably a lot of other good sets or ways to make the current Pokemon work in a battle/PvP scenario that I'm not aware of. Its also most likely that the Pokemon you have is not up to par with battling anything, which is why I can't claim myself knowledgeable enough to proclaim that EV training ATK and SPD will make your Pokemon any better. But this is what I would've done in your position. But as I said at the start, if its for story, you probably wouldn't need to focus on EV training it, but perhaps focus on getting ATK to 252 at least and run a moveset that only has physical attacks if you want to use it for story progression.

Thanks for the explanation :). For now it's for story but i will try something for PvP later. 

On 5/27/2022 at 6:42 AM, DelPlays said:

Thanks for the explanation :). For now it's for story but i will try something for PvP later. 

Just for the record, an additional info from me, a Physical Sceptile is indeed possible thanks to its expansive physical movepool, particularly with Adamant/Jolly nature.
(But you'll most likely not gonna run it as Mega. If you want Mega Sceptile, Modest/Timid set is better.)

If you ever want to make a proper Physical Sceptile one day, in addition to high IV on both Attack and Speed, aim for those nature, either Adamant or Jolly works. I personally prefer Adamant since I personally think it needs Attack boost more, its base Speed is pretty high already. The rest like movepool, ability, item, and EV, are the same as what Electrocute already suggested.