Pikachu using Surf

Dumke

In the pokemon battle with Red after you beat Erika, i had my ground type out because he had his pikachu, and to my surprise, Pikachu used Surf, one shot my Sandslash.

Found a video seems quite old, so i'll assume it's intended.

But just for double check.

Hi Dumke!

That is not a bug. Pikachu is able to use surfer.

If you choosed Pikachu as your starter some guy will teach it to your Pikachu. If you don't have a Pikachu you can find the VM at the same story chapter.

Here is a little copy and paste how to get surfer from PRO Wiki:

After defeating the 5th gym leader Janine in Fuchsia City you go south towards the beach (Route 19) where you will find the surfer named Victor (note from Lethargicus: This is the guy that will teach your Pikachu surf after defeating him), after defeating him you are able to enter the safari zone north in Fuchsia City for 5k (20 minutes), After entering the Safari you have to go to the house in area 3, which can be entered by going east to area 1, then north to area 2, then south west to area 3.

I hope this will help you.

Cheers!

As said, this isn't a bug and is based around the event pokemon "surfing pikachu" (also found in card variety, though it's on a surfboard).

In addition, such things are not uncommon! Pikachu is not "pure electricity" but more a "mouse that can produce electricity".

Other examples of some strange things are that scyther can't learn fly yet tiny birds like spearow and pidgey can. Mawile can learn flamethrower, Aggron can learn ice beam. Finally Rhydon (yes, a rock/ground type) can also learn surf.

mRVvDj5.png

Feel free to join our IRC Chat

In the anime, there was a surfing pikachu.

Pokemon Yellows Pikachu could be taught surf.

TJ6qktU.gif

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.