List of Pokemon not to be used in ranked battle

Red

202240 I really don't get all the fuss about gothitelle...

1. Tiers are made for pokemon showdown, a competitive environment where the one and only problem is "what to pick" and "what am i allowed to pick to compete at the same level with my opponent". In PRO the eventual "Ubers" would be really different and should include the "unobtainable" pokemon to everyone (see staff pokemon, banned indeed). So complaining about "gothitelle shadow tag is uber, pls copy showdown and ban" makes really no sense.

2. You're making it seem impossible to counter with all those "unhealthy" "gamebreaking" and so on out of context adjectives. It's not unbalanced at all, there are TONS of counters to it, unlike many other pokemon, perhaps you just didn't bother to bring them in your team when you faced one (because unexpected). Guess what, even a ferrothorn can ruin your team if you don't have fire coverage, what's the difference? Something you didn't came prepared for, that has counter and counter stuff... unhealthy? please.

Bring u-turn / volt switch / baton pass on your special attacker (see magnezone) to counter shadow tag, dark physical coverage, heavy physical dmg, gothitelle is done for, has way more counters than the most used ability in the game, regenerator.

And guess what, all this fuss because shadow tag counters that...

3. Banning an obtainable extremely rare (h.a. as well) pokemon who is working as intended is really dangerous for a MMO environment, PRO isn't showdown where you can get shadow tag gothitelle just by selecting it, there are people who actually spent weeks farming for that h.a. extremely rare, and whoever tried that feeling (hi prankster sableye) knows how much of a pain that is. People saying "ban gothitelle shadowtag" aren't that much different from the guy who said "ban talonflame galewings", there are just as many counters to it, difference being if you don't expect the pokemon (like you do with talonflame) you might be careless with switch ins/outs without having scouted properly the enemy team before, get trapped when you scald with your slowbro and lose your regenerator.

4. Wall breaking. Another major problem in the current PvP state, the lack of items like life orb and specs make wall breaking extremely hard. When life orb comes people will get more used to their "walls" being destroyed and maybe realize that a strategy that relies 99% on switching between walls isn't that good anymore. Shadowtag gothitelle does the same, wall breaking, people in PRO aren't just used to get their walls countered...

+1 :y:

AND for BigDanny, talonflame have a lot of counters I encounter tons of them in ranked PvP and never have any problem with them because they are easy to cripple.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're severely under-estimating the ability 'Shadow Tag' on a Pokemon with a fully functioning useable move pool on PRO.

Since the introduction of abilities from the days of Ruby/Sapphire through to all the subsequent 4,5,6 generations of competitive play, this ability has always been forbidden in any environment other than Uber.

How can you counter something you can't switch out from while it goes on to set up on you? (Barring certain rather situational scenarios).

A team built around Gothitelle with the other 5 party members supporting it to counter it's 'counters', cannot be beaten easily, unless we know for definite that the opponent has a Gothitelle, even then an experienced trainer [with time] will have all the right checks to it's possible counters.

Also, is it just me? Or, what's wrong with banning Pokemon which are classed as Uber on Smogon? They don't just make all this up out of thin air or because they just feel like it...it's all been tried, tested and proven.

203169 I think we're severely under-estimating the ability 'Shadow Tag' on a Pokemon with a fully functioning useable move pool on PRO.

Since the introduction of abilities from the days of Ruby/Sapphire through to all the subsequent 4,5,6 generations of competitive play, this ability has always been forbidden in any environment other than Uber.

How can you counter something you can't switch out from while it goes on to set up on you? (Barring certain rather situational scenarios).

A team built around Gothitelle with the other 5 party members supporting it to counter it's 'counters', cannot be beaten easily, unless we know for definite that the opponent has a Gothitelle, even then an experienced trainer [with time] will have all the right checks to it's possible counters.

Also, is it just me? Or, what's wrong with banning Pokemon which are classed as Uber on Smogon? They don't just make all this up out of thin air or because they just feel like it...it's all been tried, tested and proven.

This:

I really don't get all the fuss about gothitelle...

1. Tiers are made for pokemon showdown, a competitive environment where the one and only problem is "what to pick" and "what am i allowed to pick to compete at the same level with my opponent". In PRO the eventual "Ubers" would be really different and should include the "unobtainable" pokemon to everyone (see staff pokemon, banned indeed). So complaining about "gothitelle shadow tag is uber, pls copy showdown and ban" makes really no sense.

2. You're making it seem impossible to counter with all those "unhealthy" "gamebreaking" and so on out of context adjectives. It's not unbalanced at all, there are TONS of counters to it, unlike many other pokemon, perhaps you just didn't bother to bring them in your team when you faced one (because unexpected). Guess what, even a ferrothorn can ruin your team if you don't have fire coverage, what's the difference? Something you didn't came prepared for, that has counter and counter stuff... unhealthy? please.

Bring u-turn / volt switch / baton pass on your special attacker (see magnezone) to counter shadow tag, dark physical coverage, heavy physical dmg, gothitelle is done for, has way more counters than the most used ability in the game, regenerator.

3. Banning an obtainable extremely rare (h.a. as well) pokemon who is working as intended is really dangerous for a MMO environment, PRO isn't showdown where you can get shadow tag gothitelle just by selecting it, there are people who actually spent weeks farming for that h.a. extremely rare, and whoever tried that feeling (hi prankster sableye) knows how much of a pain that is. People saying "ban gothitelle shadowtag" aren't that much different from the guy who said "ban talonflame galewings", there are just as many counters to it, difference being if you don't expect the pokemon (like you do with talonflame) you might be careless with switch ins/outs without having scouted properly the enemy team before, get trapped when you scald with your slowbro and lose your regenerator.

4. Wall breaking. Another major problem in the current PvP state, the lack of items like life orb and specs make wall breaking extremely hard. When life orb comes people will get more used to their "walls" being destroyed and maybe realize that a strategy that relies 99% on switching between walls isn't that good anymore. Shadowtag gothitelle does the same, wall breaking, people in PRO aren't just used to get their walls countered...

And I have gothitelle and it is very true, uber in smogon do not equate in pvp in pro and gothitelle has far more counters, arguably the most balanced shadow tag user IMO.

And I have gothitelle and it is very true, uber in smogon do not equate in pvp in pro and gothitelle has far more counters, arguably the most balanced shadow tag user IMO.

What counters? Shadow Tag Gothitelle has no true checks or counters. It can pick and choose what it wants to kill every time, removing key threats and allowing team mates to sweep.

How does Uber in PRO not equate to Uber in Smogon? It's even more of a problem since we don't have fully working moves/items/abilities, yet.

203169 I think we're severely under-estimating the ability 'Shadow Tag' on a Pokemon with a fully functioning useable move pool on PRO.

Finally someone who speaks with sense.

Thanks very much.

And If Gothitelle is not ban and become more used in Pro, all the teams will need to have a pokemon who can hit hard Gothitelle on the physical, so u will see Tyranitar and Scyther in all the team. So you will always see the same pokemons in pvp and u will come here for crying because you see always the same pokemon . And when u will be rekt by Gothitelle 9 batlles/10 and saw him in all the team you will all come here for crying and ask and pray for a ban.

202240 I really don't get all the fuss about gothitelle...

+1 :y:

@fatmanclit mind to elaborate an answer to this instead of repeating the same thing over and over again without any meaningful addition?