Starter Pokemon

Guest Tawhakii

Starter Pokemon:

Originally I was all for this idea until I started thinking more about it.

For Starter Pokemon to hold any economical value in this game (assuming you make them identical), you have to make sure that the ones that everyone starts with are BELOW average. I suggest 15s across the board in all stats, and all of the Starter Pokemon have neutral Natures (variety would be nice, but it has to be neutral). We don't want to make all the IVs the same for everyone only to let a good/bad nature make them different.

The problem I see with this idea in general is that it makes your initial choice very easy. Why would anyone choose Charmander? You can beat Brock and Misty with Charmander, but why would you want to waste the time to train an average/below average Pokemon? Bulbasaur would become the overwhelming favorite because it allows you to advance in the game more quickly than the other choices. As many of you have pointed out, all of the Starter Pokemon are available in the wild. The handheld games make your choice important because you don't have the opportunity to catch the other two naturally.

I'm all for creating a level playing field. I love that this would reduce the amount of players who would create multiple accounts until they found a great Starter. However, I don't think that this is a healthy idea for PRO.

IV-Randomizer:

I really, really, don't like this idea. Pokemon is a very simple game comprised of one primary aspect and a handful of secondary aspects. Hunting, finding and catching Pokemon, is the bread and butter of Pokemon. After you catch a Pokemon, you can train it, trade it, battle it, or stick it in a box forever, but it all begins by finding and catching it. Allowing players to randomize the IVs of their Pokemon gives them another chance at obtaining what they want by bypassing the primary aspect of the game. You can sugarcoat it however you like, but the sole purpose of an IV-Randomizer is to make the game easier--not to mention that it doesn't make any sense.

No thanks.

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tawhakii

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I understand your points as view aswell.

Comming across a starter pokemon in wild is pretty rare.

Im still for setting the IV's to a certain point.

As some mentioned its just a starter to help you in the beginning. I dont think it would effect the game in a bad way, there are plenty of other pokemon to hunt for and get good IV's on them.

Also when the game goes live I know people will mass create account just to get OP starters to lvl/sell them.

With this method that wont be an issue anymore either.

About the IV Randomizer it might be a helpfull thing in the game to keep the pokedollars in check.

Let it cost pokedollars so there wont be an overflow on pokedollars ingame.

As I may have initially misexplained the proposition of an IV-randomizer, I would like to note that it's not intended to be used as an all-compatible script for indiscriminate breeds of Pokemon to access. I would filter it strictly for Pokemon from the starter-Pokemon subsets, and I would compound it with a check for a data flag to ensure that it is the Pokemon they selected in the lab; in other words, its purpose would be confined strictly to giving players a one-off roll at randomizing their Pokemon's IVs to deviate away from the (hypothetical) sweeping 15-IV standing of starter Pokemon.

With equal-footed IVs, starter Pokemon would be neighbored strictly into their own, single tier when it pertains to statistical variants; that isn't healthy for any competitive economy where it's constitued by tiers to give a richer opportunity of purchase. Yes, starter Pokemon are also available in the wild; but by virtue of their rarity, most starter Pokemon derive from the lab, and it would be impractical to ignore the main body of supply when making such a decision.

I do want to note that this proposition is still tentative; it is merely a potential direction to go in for a a compromise to interbalances both countermeasures against starter Pokemon and shuffling them out of the neighborhood of equal-footed IVs, but I at least want to make the suggestion fairly articulate for the best clarity when providing feedback on it.

About the IV Randomizer it might be a helpfull thing in the game to keep the pokedollars in check.

Let it cost pokedollars so there wont be an overflow on pokedollars ingame.

Thank you for your feedback, but suggesting it primarily as a money sinkhole is rather immaterial and simplistic causality.

When it pertains to money sinkholes, they are not as single-faceted as simply taxing away money; it involves making resources and services available, which in themselves will make its own splash on the fluidity of the game--a good or bad effect on it, depending on what we make available.

Yes, we do want money sinkholes, but it is to a byproduct of resources and services that have a sensible place in the game; that is limitless with what can be added to purge pokemoney, and it can easily be imprudent to add in setting when its primary and perhaps sole purpose is just to counterbalance excessive pokemoney in circulation.

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

The thing is with the whole mass account creating, devs can probably check IPs of every registered account and ban their IP. That will probably stop anybody doing it.

It must also be considered whether or not the user is on a shared network, however--a la family members and/or live-ins playing on the same Internet.

Moreover, in some cases, it would be far more efficient and trouble-saving to take a proactive countermeasure (preventing the issue) rather than a reactive one (banning those after they already did the misdeed, while they might have already impacted the economy). When it's feasible to have a system in place to prevent an issue indiscriminately while also not abridging one's reasonable freedom in a game, proactive solutions, such as precluding starter-farming, are optimal to look into first.

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

IV-Randomizer:

I really, really, don't like this idea. Pokemon is a very simple game comprised of one primary aspect and a handful of secondary aspects. Hunting, finding and catching Pokemon, is the bread and butter of Pokemon. After you catch a Pokemon, you can train it, trade it, battle it, or stick it in a box forever, but it all begins by finding and catching it. Allowing players to randomize the IVs of their Pokemon gives them another chance at obtaining what they want by bypassing the primary aspect of the game. You can sugarcoat it however you like, but the sole purpose of an IV-Randomizer is to make the game easier--not to mention that it doesn't make any sense.

No thanks.

I agree. I think pokemons stats should be given by chance. That is the whole point of pokemon. If everyone was able to get a second chance at a decent stat starter without catching one would underline the basic values of pokemon. None of the handhelds had this, and 99% wont happen here either.

TJ6qktU.gif

If you think on long term, what one can conclude?

1. Is that making wild starters less or more worth?

2. Does that mean you will 100% need to be forced to catch or buy awesome one?

3. Do we allow to low number of players to actually get lucky when it comes to starter selection?

4. If we are to set in stone starters IV how that would reflect and could be linked with above listed variables?

5. Given that no one would like to have their starter IV too low, how that would look like in the mega evolution form if you think on long term?

6. Is this suggestion suitable for long term? What would happen if we are to change suggested system in a year from now on to original system?

7. Is this the only way how you would approach to starter farming prevention? Have you ran out of ideas here?

As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be.

You could have all the starter pokemon set in stone as any neutral nature with random IVs.

If people wanted to use them competitively they would have to go catch wild ones like most other pokemon, and would be very low risk of multi accounts being made to get them.

4FEZZdr.png

1. In whole, it makes finding and catching good Starters more valuable. (Good)

2. I still believe that hunting or trading should be the only way to find a good Starter if this system is implemented. (Good)

3. If you simply lowered the chances of getting a good Starter, then I think you'd actually have more people making pseudo accounts. (Bad)

4. See above.

5. This would force players to hunt and find quality Starters which is good for the economy. (Good)

6. The only problem I foresee is that the less advantageous Starters will probably be chosen less frequently than they would in the original system. (Bad)

7. You could always disable the ability to trade your Starter Pokemon. Whether you keep the IVs random, or make them all the same, this would limit the amount of players who farm Starters. With equal IVs, I still think some players would make fake accounts simply to fill their Pokedex. Disabling the ability to trade Starters would keep their overall population in check, and limit the overall amount of accounts created even more. This doesn't hurt anyone because they all can be found in the wild.

Anything that y'all decide to do will be fine. Every suggestion will have pros and cons. I just don't see the point of having an IV-randomizer because this entire suggestion is meant to remove the random aspect of it.

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

Like Pretentious said, have a "no trade" clause on all starter Pokemon. Keep it the way it is now, with random IV's. This would completely eliminate starting farming. This "no trade" clause would be the same as the lower tier Legendary Pokemon. Do allow players to trade the starters they actually caught though, because that takes a lot more time and effort.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX50HvhXx182ANOBZ-jCYoEu1oiOOg5-X9zjXvybOhmoji1V72

i dont agree on making starters non tradable because you can trade only after badge 4 and i don't think people would make pseudo accounts to sell starters if it takes 4 badges ... and thats the purpose of not being able to trade until badge 4 coz it takes too much time to reach badge 4 and i don't think ppl would waste their time ..

tumblr_ovzslcv3uF1vptsxro1_500.gif