Modifying the IV system.

Guest James

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, the whole point is that IVs are like DNA and EVs are like our shape. You can influence on your weight by simple refusing to eat or by hard physical training like EVs do to pokemons. Yet you cannot influence on your height like pokemons cannot change their IVs. It's as simple as that.

sb6810.jpg

Firstly breeding, EV items, and DK aren't in the game of course

We do have the macho brace (i think). whether its being given out ingame right now is another question though

TJ6qktU.gif

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

We do have the macho brace (i think). whether its being given out ingame right now is another question though

Macho Brace does not effect the process of passing down IVs.

Guest James

I don't understand why people think I want it to be easier to get high IV Pokemon. I am suggesting a system be put in place that allows you to make a Pokemon competitive without it having good IVS. With that being said I want it to be just as difficult to get a Pokemon with poor IVs to competitive status as catching the same Pokemon over and over again. Maybe I am the only one but it starts feeling less like Pokemon when I have 500 of 1 Pokemon in my PC that are all useless. Not to mention a system like this would allow your starting Pokemon to actually be viable in competitive play if your willing to spend a lot of extra hours grinding with it.

To better illustrate my idea, it would work something like this. Lets say it takes you 10 hours of catching the same Pokemon to finally get one that has competitive(good ivs/nature). Well instead you could catch that same Pokemon once. It has bad ivs. So now you spend 10 hours of special training or something like that to get it so that its competitive. (I am not referring to EVs here). IVs don't change, EVs don't change, good IV Pokemon are still as valuable in the economy. What does change is the need to catch/breed a bunch of the same Pokemon and fill up your PC. It is still just as difficult to get competitive Pokemon. If you enjoy hunting for good Pokemon and would rather get quality Pokemon that way, you still can.

Guest Taskji

I got my macho braco from a trade in [GoldenRod City] drowzee for a machop (I got a shiny Machop with a Macho Brace attached.

If you're looking for a Pokémon with an unbelievable genetic makeup, then it should take an insane amount of time to find one---not make one.

I understand your concern. Everyone gets frustrated when they check the PC after hunting and they don't have anything worthwhile. The failure and disappointment are what makes those times that you do catch something amazing so special.

I just don't see how your suggestion is an improvement over the one in place. Having the ability to improve any Pokémon you catch to the extremes that you're wanting doesn't make sense. As others have pointed out, you already CAN make your Pokémon better through EV training. You stated that you've played Pokémon for 15 years, so I'm sure that you know that a properly trained Pokémon with lesser IVs can be more valuable than one with higher IVs and improper EV training.

How is it fair to lessen the importance of IVs for the lucky people that find epic Pokémon when EV training is already in place?

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

Guest James
If you're looking for a Pokémon with an unbelievable genetic makeup, then it should take an insane amount of time to find one---not make one.

I understand your concern. Everyone gets frustrated when they check the PC after hunting and they don't have anything worthwhile. The failure and disappointment are what makes those times that you do catch something amazing so special.

I just don't see how your suggestion is an improvement over the one in place. Having the ability to improve any Pokémon you catch to the extremes that you're wanting doesn't make sense. As others have pointed out, you already CAN make your Pokémon better through EV training. You stated that you've played Pokémon for 15 years, so I'm sure that you know that a properly trained Pokémon with lesser IVs can be more valuable than one with higher IVs and improper EV training.

How is it fair to lessen the importance of IVs for the lucky people that find epic Pokémon when EV training is already in place?

First, I think it is unfair to say that I want to be able to make one. I want to be able to improve one.

Ways that its an improvement:

1. Your starting Pokemon can actually be useful which is very important to some people because they feel "attached" to their starter.

2. It feels like more like Pokemon to catch 1 Pokemon and train it really hard than to get 500 useless Pokemon to get to one good one. At least if your comparing it to the T.V. show.

With E.V. training you can only make a bad Pokemon so much better. At the end of the day if your trying to be competitive, EV training in theory won't make a difference because all the good players are going to E.V. train properly. So that doesn't fix the issue.

Does no one else think its ridiculous to have 500 of the same Pokemon just sitting in their bank?

Why it is fair:

1. Everyone would have access to the feature. So anyone could use it.

2. The importance of IV's is still there. If you don't catch a Pokemon with good IVs then that means your going to have to spend HOURS of training to improve it. Whereas the person who got lucky with the good IV Pokemon does not have to.

You knew exactly what I meant with make vs. improve. ;)

Your points all make sense if this game was a recreation of the T.V. series, but it isn't. In games, Pokemon need levels, IVs, and EVs to distinguish themselves from your opponent's team.

You don't want to catch 500 of the same Pokemon. You want to catch 1 Pokemon and make it just as good as everyone else's through intense training.

Okay... but look at what that does to the rest of the game. Your suggestion turns finding epic Pokemon into a time saver instead of a distinct advantage (as it should be). The importance of rarity is lessened because players only need to find 1 Dratini to get a competitive Dragonite (you can replace Dratini/Dragonite with any other Pokemon). With more avenues to "improve" Pokemon, the values of good Pokemon are diminished.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but there have to be boundaries, and the current system is the best way for the game to function in a multiplayer setting.

wycTAcv.gif

Sig created by Annazhee

Guest James

I understand your points. And yes the game does need IVs, EVs, levels, etc, but theres no reason why you can't take steps to make players more immersed in the world of Pokemon. I think that what I have proposed will do that. I understand what your saying that catching a rare high iv Pokemon does feel like a time saver instead of a rare high iv Pokemon.

Another option is allow people to get a item at some point that allows them to see the ivs of a wild Pokemon when they encounter it. That way it allows good iv Pokemon to not be just a time saver, but avoids the problem of having to actually catch 100s to get a good one. Instead now you just have to see 100s of the same Pokemon to get a good one.