A Disappointing and Unfair Experience - Pokemon Revolution Online Review

Ytdpyro

This game has very nice aesthetics and I'm very pleased with the way this turned out,

However

unfortunately I see there is a horrible case of Grinding (not just in game but my patience as well.)

Note : If you are thinking of getting this Game I'd highly suggest reading this, because this is extremely important.

I have had an unfortunate experience with PRO I find that the ability to get Experience is poorly thought out, personally I haven't even gotten past Pewter City Gym.

The reason behind this is that the Team thought it'd be a good idea to have Trainers (which by the way are the main way to efficiently Level Up your Pokemon.)

Can't be battled again FOR 7 DAYS this wouldn't necessarily an issue and is understandable,

However

No one on the team thought it paramount to not have the Trainers fightable again if you lose. So requires me to play extremely carefully, unfortunately I hadn't learned this until it was already too late.

So now I'm left with 2 choices

A. Grind for a estimated time of a Minimum of 1 HOUR per Pokemon on my Team.

B. Wait a FULL WEEK for A CHANCE to Get to an exceptionable Level.

I apologize for the way I may come off as in this review but this seriously bogs down the game and I'd even go so far as to say Red and Blue on the Gameboy were better at making a fair and balanced experience that didn't shortchange people that weren't able to destroy the game out of the gate.

Edit : After I've played through a bit more (Now on Badge 3.) I notice even more issues for example

- Many Implementations being locked behind Badges and it not being clear when I get them (Pokestops, Trade Chats which is only unlocked after the 4th Badge, ect.)

- Critical Hit Rates being way too high leading to me needing to visit the Pokecenter to an absurd degree (and making grinding ever more unfair and hard.)

- Runaway Rates being way too low leading to me needing to visit the Pokecenter to an absurd amount (Yet again contributing to the unfair difficulty.)

- A Sudden Unexplained Jump in Levels in both Trainers and Wild Pokemon from Route 9 to Rock Tunnel (sensing a theme here?)

- Trainer Levels not being clear in Gyms (which doesn't help in trying to get an idea of how much or how little I need to grind.)

- Shops don't evolve for a long time (where as in official games it'd evolve with every badge.) making it hard to get better Pokeballs, and Healing Items

- Unable to switch Pokemon upon knocking the opponents Pokemon Out (This applies to NPC Battles not PVP Battles but is still an issue.)

Pokemon just doesn't fit the MMO style, especially in this poorly thought out state of affairs.

Im not against Grinding in an RPG but this level of Grinding is ridiculous, people can say that I'm complaining too early but if the first impressions are likely to turn me away I highly doubt that the level of improvement will increase.

My rating hasn't changed and isn't likely to improve as I run through the game.

It's still a 3/10.

Edited by YTDPyro
  • Like 1

You should not review a game when you have done only 1% of it or not even that.

No matter what pokemon game you are playing grinding is something that is always needed, and i have played all games except sworld and shield, also did speedrun etc so i know how it works.

Maybe you are new to the pokemon world or not used to this type of game but in my opinion you should grind. 1 HOUR OF GRIND is nothing.

7 days cooldown is smh fair, imagine if you could rebattle them anytime you want? would be a big font of endless money and xp.

Go back to the game and good luck in your journey, Samurai.

• Like 2

image.png.f987891793a787f38288ae564a7c5d82.png

I honestly haven't had the grinding issue. I mean it takes awhile, but that normal for any game really. Gotta walk before you can run, you know? Its all about knowing when to grind and when to move on. I personally have not had an issue leveling up most of my current team to level 30, which is more than good for the point I am at in the game. Its high enough I am not gonna struggle too much but not so high I steamroll NPCs either. Its all about balance.

You should not review a game when you have done only 1% of it or not even that.

No matter what pokemon game you are playing grinding is something that is always needed, and i have played all games except sworld and shield, also did speedrun etc so i know how it works.

Maybe you are new to the pokemon world or not used to this type of game but in my opinion you should grind. 1 HOUR OF GRIND is nothing.

7 days cooldown is smh fair, imagine if you could rebattle them anytime you want? would be a big font of endless money and xp.

Go back to the game and good luck in your journey, Samurai.

Kept playing edited the problems and have found new problems.

Can't be battled again FOR 7 DAYS this wouldn't necessarily an issue and is understandable,

However

No one on the team thought it paramount to not have the Trainers fightable again if you lose. So requires me to play extremely carefully, unfortunately I hadn't learned this until it was already too late.

We are aware that the Experience formula is not all that ideal, but as you have seen by my trainer rework, we do take balance seriously. The trainers are balanced so that you only need to battle them once during Story to be at a good level, and grinding on wild Pokemon is only for luxury, or for letting a newly caught Pokemon catch up to the level of your team. For that reason, we believe that a 7 day cooldown is perfectly reasonable.

- Many Implementations being locked behind Badges and it not being clear when I get them (Pokestops, Trade Chats which is only unlocked after the 4th Badge, ect.)

We are aware that many NPCs, particularly the older ones, are a little cryptic about their requirements. As we rework them, we also look into making these requirements more clear.

- Critical Hit Rates being way too high leading to me needing to visit the Pokecenter to an absurd degree (and making grinding ever more unfair and hard.)

- Runaway Rates being way too low leading to me needing to visit the Pokecenter to an absurd amount (Yet again contributing to the unfair difficulty.)

These mechanics are identical to the original games.

- A Sudden Unexplained Jump in Levels in both Trainers and Wild Pokemon from Route 9 to Rock Tunnel (sensing a theme here?)

The difference between Route 9 and Rock Tunnel are only a couple levels. However, it is possible that I pushed the Trainer Rework at that timing during your progression, as it largely increased the level of many trainers so that they stay up-to-date with the expected level of your team. The cooldown of every trainer has also been reset, so I suggest you turn back and rebattle the previous trainers so that your Pokemon are up to date with the new intended level.

- Trainer Levels not being clear in Gyms (which doesn't help in trying to get an idea of how much or how little I need to grind.)

Although I do not know the design choice behind that feature, I can guess that it was made to give uncertainty about their levels, so that players try to challenge them using strategies rather than trying to overlevel them. It is a very old design choice, however.

- Shops don't evolve for a long time (where as in official games it'd evolve with every badge.) making it hard to get better Pokeballs, and Healing Items

Shops should evolve as you gain more badges. If you feel the shops are running behind as to what they should be selling, I suggest making a suggestion thread pointing out what should be changed.

• Like 2

Pro is a very special case of a pokmeon MMO Done right. Ill explain what i mean, of course your entitled to your own opinion as everybody else so im not hating.

[just a Quick note, as of your profile you started on February 6th meaning you spent about 2days on pro. Pro Really shines in the late game as most mmo's do.]

First i want to say about the difficulty or the level jumps you say there is. there is a slight increase in lvl from route 9 to rock tunnel when you dont factor in trainer battles. Trainers on that route have lvls between 18 at the lowest and 21 at the highest. putting it right in the middle of lvls of rock tunnel and route 9. Giving the player ample exp to get some exp. Also Rock tunnel may have some20-24 (at the highest is a cubone that can be 26-30), there are Pokemon that spawn from lvl ranges 10-20. So The curve your saying thats too high cant be true here.

As for the Grind, All Pokemon Games has some form of grinding you have to do. Whether it be for a gym battle or a rival fight we all have to do this. It is true however that Pro's hidden mechanic that makes Evolved Pokemon have to gain a substantial amount more experience to level up, is what your facing with your play though. This is one way you make a Game like Pokemon a MMO, and with all MMO's the grind gets easier as you gain access to new areas via Quests/story completion.

Now for Trade locking until the 4th gym badge. This is in place so players at least have to work hard and play someway though the story to learn the mechanics of the game, what makes it a MMO. Also its there so people wanting to make a new account dont just give their highest level pokemon and break story events that happen. (you will see when you get there, no spoilers from me)

As for Being unable to Switch pokemon out or in when you successfully faint an enemy Pokemon, That is there to make the game difficult. Letting the player switch out Pokemon would make the game a whole lot easier and pretty boring. Its the same with pvp battles. And even the same with The main line Pokemon games when battling via online or with a cable.

Runaway rates, now this is a very simple point that is actually the exact same as every Pokemon game ever. Running away is based on Your active Pokemon's Speed stat. If your pokemon has a higher speed stat than you opponent than your chances of running away are greatly improved. The same is if your speed is significantly lower than your opponent your chances are greatly decreased. Of course this doesnt factor in things like held items like the Smoke ball (allowing 100% running away from wild pokes) or ability like Run away.

As for the Critical hits and Market scaling Shinzeria (in the post above) already made those points clear.

For the closing im going to address the Opinion That pokemon doesnt really fit a MMO style, Which i will Highly disagree with. See Pokemon as always been a Pretty Easy game. They only ever experimented with a Hard mode in Black and White but all that did was reworked enemy trainer's pokemon moves and increased there level. Ever since its been getting easier and easier. So Pro is like The only one of its kind to make a Pokemon game (excluding Rom hacks which can be brutal and is just a rehash of a game) To make a difficult Pokemon game. The story is easy as long as you want to learn mechanics and improve and i can say with 100% if you finish all 4 regions that are currently out you will look back and say that wasn't all too hard and be left wanting more. Thats where pro shines the Brightest and also where it shows its MMO side. Though bosses, events and grinding becomes the funnest part of Pro. To log in and be surrounded by people to talk to while your planning on what you want to do for the day. Since there are plenty of daily quests to do with rewards a plenty. The market really opens up when you start to understand prices. I have the most fun with just Farming to sell stuff to people or lending my Pokemon out to friends who want to use them in pvp. Its the community that Makes pro work out so well. Theres even guilds that let you gain additional exp just for being in one that increases for how many people is in that guild.

So i will say, give Pro another shot. If its not for you then good. Quit pro. There's plenty of other Pokemon games (including Fan games) that will give enjoyment. But there may be a chance you will see pro in a new light.

Sorry if i sounded rude, i just love this game.

• Like 3

20210516_215416.gif.0f5637474a7259a9f90d53025e5a8a7b.gif

The real problem of this game are the spawns.

High tier pokemons are too rare. It's not acceptable that in two nights in a row on Love Island i got ZERO Dratini. And Before i got 3 with 2 sync fail (and wrong nature) and one with right nature and h.a. but with trash IV (1 atk lel). And i'm not even looking for an epic one, just a decent cute Dratini.

And i won't even talk about how many DAYS (yes days, not hours) i spent looking for a Magmar back in the day. Maximum level of trolling.

And i could go on and on.

The answer is usually "gRiNdInG iS pArT oF a MmO", but grinding and tryharding like a virgin are two different things.

• 2 weeks later...

the shiny in the game is the big porblem. i have been playing the game since 2016 and i have over 1034 Hr and i owned 698 and 348 evo and in this time elieve it or not i got only 1 shiny from spawn (Not including shiny from Boss thor because its the third prize). thay shiny is rattata so i am not happy about the shiny in the game