Do you think making the game harder by denying evolution of pokemons until lvl 98 is good game design?

Victotem

4 hours ago, Victotem said:

Just in case you didn't know: Your evolved pokemon need way more experience to level up if they are a evolved form.

In my personal opinion, i won't play this game again until that is fixed.

Cya, your absence will really hurt us, and we'll definitively not forget about it in 10 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Victotem said:

Wrong, the difficulty of leveling up after evolution is a feature of this game.

Dude.. Don't be silly. PRO is based on the real Pokestuff (Lmao). You will never play any Pokemon game with this mindset. Everything that PRO does, Is the exact same thing as the Nintendo and every other Pokemon main series game does (Mechanic wise, we on Gen7). Don't believe me and still have this opinion? Then better say goodbye to Pokemon games altogether and forever

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 12:27 AM, ShadowDanny said:

Dude.. Don't be silly. PRO is based on the real Pokestuff (Lmao). You will never play any Pokemon game with this mindset. Everything that PRO does, Is the exact same thing as the Nintendo and every other Pokemon main series game does (Mechanic wise, we on Gen7). Don't believe me and still have this opinion? Then better say goodbye to Pokemon games altogether and forever

Not the leveling system. I'm curious, have you actually played the official games in like, the last 5-6 few years? Because it seems like you forgot something XD

The guy you quoted is right, difficulty in leveling after evolving is a PRO-exclusive feature.

In official games, evolving did nothing to the amount of exp required to level up. For example, Lv52 Litleo and Lv52 Pyroar both needs 8,448 exp to level up. I know for sure, because I tested that in Ultra Sun (a.k.a. Gen 7) just a few minutes ago, while typing this post.

In PRO, as we all know, Pokemon have higher amount of exp required to level up after evolving.

This because, as tested and found out by some players back then in 2016, PRO actually use a different formula that relies on "base exp yield".

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/topic/16044-delayed-evolution-purpose/

The talk about "base exp yield" is from page 10 onwards. Page 13, in particular, might be a good read since there are examples there.

In official games, "base exp yield" refers to the base amount of exp a Pokemon gives when that Pokemon is defeated. Or in other words, the base amount of exp obtained.
But PRO worked that into the formula for the amount of exp required to level up.

"Base exp yield" is usually higher from an evolved Pokemon, hence why in PRO the amount of exp to level up is higher when the Pokemon is evolved.

Have you ever noticed how much exp Pokemon in PRO required to level up all the way to lv100, compared to official games?

Official games maxed at 1.6 million exp depending on experience group.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience

Meanwhile, in PRO, lv 98 Kadabra takes 2.6 million exp to level up, and that's just for lv98 to lv99. And that's Kadabra, imagine if it's Alakazam.
Lv99 Goodra even takes 9 million exp to level up just from lv99 to lv100.

Edited by Starlight
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, Starlight said:

Not the leveling system. I'm curious, have you actually played the official games in like, the last 5-6 few years? Because it seems like you forgot something XD

The guy you quoted is right, difficulty in leveling after evolving is a PRO-exclusive feature.

In official games, evolving did nothing to the amount of exp required to level up. For example, Lv52 Litleo and Lv52 Pyroar both needs 8,448 exp to level up. I know for sure, because I tested that in Ultra Sun (a.k.a. Gen 7) just a few minutes ago, while typing this post.

In PRO, as we all know, Pokemon have higher amount of exp required to level up after evolving.

This because, as tested and found out by some players back then in 2016, PRO actually use a different formula that relies on "base exp yield".

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/topic/16044-delayed-evolution-purpose/

The talk about "base exp yield" is from page 10 onwards. Page 13, in particular, might be a good read since there are examples there.

In official games, "base exp yield" refers to the base amount of exp a Pokemon gives when that Pokemon is defeated. Or in other words, the base amount of exp obtained.
But PRO worked that into the formula for the amount of exp required to level up.

"Base exp yield" is usually higher from an evolved Pokemon, hence why in PRO the amount of exp to level up is higher when the Pokemon is evolved.

Have you ever noticed how much exp Pokemon in PRO required to level up all the way to lv100, compared to official games?

Official games maxed at 1.6 million exp depending on experience group.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience

Meanwhile, in PRO, lv 98 Kadabra takes 2.6 million exp to level up, and that's just for lv98 to lv99. And that's Kadabra, imagine if it's Alakazam.
Lv99 Goodra even takes 9 million exp to level up just from lv99 to lv100.

I will never understand why they thought this would be good for the game. I have friends who refuse to play the game simply for the fact that they cannot evolve their pokemon through the story. I don't know if they've explained it anywhere, but if they have someone link it please.

17 minutes ago, Xtremes said:

I will never understand why they thought this would be good for the game. I have friends who refuse to play the game simply for the fact that they cannot evolve their pokemon through the story. I don't know if they've explained it anywhere, but if they have someone link it please.

Said someone who just started playing.

You can evolve them. Just that it's not recommended.

53 minutes ago, Xtremes said:

Its actually very simple, the only pokemons that you need to level earlier than others are mons you require for storyline, which are garbage IV, chaotic EV spread and overall just a mon you need to beat a gym and not use ever again. On that regard you really don't need to put that much effort into be meticilous about them. Wheras a competitive mon has certain standarts, decent IV's, EV spread, movesets and level 100 or 50. Now PRO doesnt really have a 50's tier for PvP, which means it needs to be grinded to max level and you can do all of that pre-evo if you know what you should do and where you should do them.
So yeah, it is actually a "good" design that is more conveniant for endgame as well as earlygame if you use it to your advantage.

...And all will burn, beneath the shadow of my wings.

1165D9A76F16E125E61514F70BC6AF4369639B5D

3 hours ago, Olker said:

Said someone who just started playing.

You can evolve them. Just that it's not recommended.

330 hours.. i didnt "just start playing". And no, you cannot evolve them... they require an insane amount of experience to level if you evolve them. You get set super behind in levels in comparison to trainers and gym leaders in your current area, and it is impossible to level them up because the pokemon in the wild around said trainers and gyms are very low level and give very little experience. To put it into perspective since clearly the inexperienced player here is yourself, take a look at the information below.

Magikarp has a base experience of 20 and Gyarados a base experience of 214. Without even calculating, you can already assume it is 10x harder to level Gyarados than Magikarp.
Also, when I was leveling my Magikarp to 100, at lv 95+ he still only needed sub 1 million exp per level. A level 56 Gyarados I had in my PC still needed around 4 million exp to get 57.

And since it is not recommended to evolve them, why not put a big fat warning sign at the beginning of the game. I've read multiple people's post inside the game in "help" chat talking about how they are stuck and when you ask them what pokemon they have, it is always an evolved pokemon. Of course they're stuck. They're probably 15-20 levels below where they're supposed to be. But hey, they wouldnt even know what level they need because the gym leaders have ?? as their Pokemon levels. 

My point is, the game is super punishing for new players. There is one NPC i believe it's in Pewter city that will warn you about pokemon needing more exp per level if you evolve them, which is nice, sure. But why not have Professor Oak tell you who is the first NPC that gives you a pokemon? Alternatively just put a big warning sign the moment someone logs in for the first time. You were never punished in regular pokemon games for evolving your pokemon, and don't even try to say it's not a punishment when 99% of the player base refuses to evolve pokemon pre lv 95. The system is not balanced, and it keeps players away from the game.

https://prowiki.info/index.php?title=Experience_System
Magikarp-Gyarados.png.eade2151444f9fef3503ac24df83f9ee.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xtremes said:

A level 56 Gyarados I had in my PC still needed around 4 million exp to get 57.

Yeah, no, you don't. Gyarados needs 99158 XP to get from 56 to 57. You don't even need 4 million to get it from 98 to 99. Nice hyperbole to make a big deal out of a non-issue.

2 hours ago, Deathwing said:

Its actually very simple, the only pokemons that you need to level earlier than others are mons you require for storyline, which are garbage IV, chaotic EV spread and overall just a mon you need to beat a gym and not use ever again. On that regard you really don't need to put that much effort into be meticilous about them. Wheras a competitive mon has certain standarts, decent IV's, EV spread, movesets and level 100 or 50. Now PRO doesnt really have a 50's tier for PvP, which means it needs to be grinded to max level and you can do all of that pre-evo if you know what you should do and where you should do them.
So yeah, it is actually a "good" design that is more conveniant for endgame as well as earlygame if you use it to your advantage.

I don't disagree that you can play around it. I have a friend who beat every region with just their starter from each region and blew through it. Meanwhile I tried different methods in each region and ended up suffering when I tried building a team. Even when i did not evolve them, it was impossible to keep up with the gym leaders unless i spent countless hours training each pokemon against wild pokemon who give very little experience because they are severely under leveled in respective to the gym leader of that area. 

I would end up so frustrated at the amount of time I was wasting trying to level up my pokemon getting 500-1000exp per pokemon that in hoenn and sinnoh I just ended up buying a lv 100 pokemon for each region and blew through the story. 

You can't even level your pokemon to an equal level of the gym leaders without evolving your pokemon either, because they use evolved pokemon which will always be faster than your own if they are not evolved. Overall it just feels like it's designed the way it is just to make the game harder, but in reality it just makes the story not fun... All they would need to do is increase the level of pokemon in the wild so you're not a level 40 torchic training against lv 15 wingulls.. the experience is worthless at that level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kary0plasma said:

Yeah, no, you don't. Gyarados needs 99158 XP to get from 56 to 57. You don't even need 4 million to get it from 98 to 99. Nice hyperbole to make a big deal out of a non-issue.

how much does magikarp need

also where would you train a gyarados that needs 99k exp at lv 56 during the story? Remember, no mt silver, no cerulean cave, no victory road.

Edited by Xtremes