Weird story

Vilrose

Hi.

I am currently doing the Kanto story.
Even though I know the origin story by heart, I still tried to get into the story in Revolution, considering the changes.
And I have to admit that the writing is pretty weird (sorry if I offend).
It's incoherent and illogical so far (I'm at the Sylphe).

- Everyone knows the name of our character from the first meeting.
- Red and Green are present, and Red is obviously already in his prime, but Team Rocket is still fully active in Kanto, and there's no mention of them regaining control of their hideouts after their defeat against Red.
- Green is waiting for us at the Sylph like in the original games Red and Blue's timeline, it's the first time we see him, but the guy knows our name and wants to test us. Why, how, wtf?
- Green has Venusaur. If we follow the story of FR/GL, it's ok, but in the canon story, Red starts with a Pikachu and collects the 3 starters, when Green has an Eevee.

- Janine has already taken over her father's arena, which follows Red being already at his prime, and so this is Johto's timeline in Gold and Silver.
So why did some other elements remain in Red and Blue's Kanto timeline?

I know there are a lot of other changes, but they are not necessarily so confusing.
The big deal is that I feel like I'm seeing a big mix of all the anime/pokemon yellow/pokemon red and blue timelines, and the rendering looks pretty weird, at least for someone paying attention to details like me.

So I would have liked to know if things improve later in Kanto, or in the following regions, so that I know if I have to completely disconnect from the story or not.

I'm enjoying the game so far, despite its apparent flaws, and I'm not planning on stopping it for the weird story.

I know the stories of all the generations by heart, it won't be a problem to skip.

Thanks in advance, and have a good game.

Vil'

Edited by Vilrose

You can probably quite literally ignore the main story and only focus on the story of sidequests where there's actual proper character development and correct anime/manga references and so on. The main story is an absolute mess and it makes no sense (wait until what happens with Jackson in future regions, it's pure nonsense) and it just gets worse the further you go on. Just pay attention to where you have to go and ignore the incoherent parts. Keep in mind PRO is its completely independent game with its own storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxydK7CUEwL47Ym7hIkMbSA <- Youtube channel with guides!

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/forum/13-game-guide/ <- Check my game guides (and other's guides) here!

Ah, that's what I was afraid of.
Oh no, Jackson is still around later? He annoys me x)
I know it's a fangame, and I shouldn't compare its story too much to the official games.
But even if someone who hasn't played the official games would start on PRO, they wouldn't understand anything.
However, this is not the selling point of PRO, I am aware, and there are many other fangames where writing is at the heart of the game.
So I'm going to focus on the gameplay and skip the dialogues, just to avoid a mental purge lol.

Thank you for your answer !

I agree with Bhimoso on the part about ignoring the story.  I haven't been focused too much on story and it seems like most players rush through story to get to the end game content which is collecting good stat Pokemon, PVP, boss battles, etc.  I played the older gameboy Pokemon games and watched the anime shows, but I have been rushing through story so much I haven't really noticed too much lol.  Hope you enjoy the game outside the story.

I confess that I come from a fangame on which I spent a lot of time, which had one of the best storytelling that I had the opportunity to see in a Pokemon game.
And so, the transition from one game to another was quite brutal lol.

But hey, I'll get used to it.

I just regret a little that the story and the lines are not a little closer to the official games.

I agree that the 4 existent regions need major reworks, but unfortunately, that is not the top priority of the team right now. I joined the team only after the release of the 4 regions, so I haven't had an opportunity to tweak them yet. The custom region that is in the making is done completely by me, however, so it should be consistent and engaging, unlike the current 4 regions. I apologize for such an outcome personally, because as a story writer, their story rework would be my responsibility. I will discuss this with the team later on when the top priorities are fulfilled and put into motion (the new custom region of Astrella included).

The side quests and events have more character development and consistency since they are done more professionally by the team, as well as the completely new side quests (such as Zekrom & Reshiram event and Victini event) which were written by me with the assistance of the content team.

I apologize once again, and I really hope you will enjoy the game regardless of the inconsistencies you might meet along the way!

• Like 2

rsz_2_splish_splash__floatzel_by_endless_whispers_d20v56s-fullview.jpg.36e249a76e7950342a6ec066aa593ebf.jpg

🦈 I'm a friendly shark 🦈 I hardly ever get mad, but if I do, I may bite 🦈 So don't provoke me 🦈

📜 I cannot answer story-related questions because they could be counted as spoilers, so please do not ask 📜

🥰 If you just want to chat, feel free to reach out. I love interacting with people 🥰

🦈 Disrespectful people will be eaten 🦈

20 minutes ago, Sharktooth6 said:

I agree that the 4 existent regions need major reworks, but unfortunately, that is not the top priority of the team right now. I joined the team only after the release of the 4 regions, so I haven't had an opportunity to tweak them yet. The custom region that is in the making is done completely by me, however, so it should be consistent and engaging, unlike the current 4 regions. I apologize for such an outcome personally, because as a story writer, their story rework would be my responsibility. I will discuss this with the team later on when the top priorities are fulfilled and put into motion (the new custom region of Astrella included).

The side quests and events have more character development and consistency since they are done more professionally by the team, as well as the completely new side quests (such as Zekrom & Reshiram event and Victini event) which were written by me with the assistance of the content team.

I apologize once again, and I really hope you will enjoy the game regardless of the inconsistencies you might meet along the way!

Oh, no need to apologize, it's not your fault, and it's not bad enough to deserve an apology ahah.

First and foremost, you are volunteers.

I'm glad to have a feedback from you.

Take your time to polish the content that will come.

Many of you talk to me about sidequests, and I'm quite curious to discover them, the same for Astrella.

Thank you for your efforts !

Vil'

Edited by Vilrose
  • Like 1

It's nice to see people who still tries to appreciate the story instead of just rushing through them. Part of the reason why official Pokemon games are so ridiculously dumb now is because of impatient people who rushed through the story just so they can start doing pvp battles. So now official games get less and less content (dex cut, no more various battle facilities, and a weaker story), just so that those people can get it quickly done and over with and can focus on just pvp. Which is boring.

Anyway, back to PRO. I never really feel it's weird back then, I just think it's amusing that we have this reference and that reference, and I really enjoy seeing all those references. But now that I think about it after seeing your post, maybe at some parts the story would appreciate a rework. I couldn't really pinpoint any though, it's been years since I finished Sinnoh story so it's been a while since the last time I experienced the story, haha. And it looks like Sharktooth is indeed going to try doing something with the region stories after Astrella is done, so that's nice to hear, I guess.

2 hours ago, Starlight said:

It's nice to see people who still tries to appreciate the story instead of just rushing through them. Part of the reason why official Pokemon games are so ridiculously dumb now is because of impatient people who rushed through the story just so they can start doing pvp battles. So now official games get less and less content (dex cut, no more various battle facilities, and a weaker story), just so that those people can get it quickly done and over with and can focus on just pvp. Which is boring.

Anyway, back to PRO. I never really feel it's weird back then, I just think it's amusing that we have this reference and that reference, and I really enjoy seeing all those references. But now that I think about it after seeing your post, maybe at some parts the story would appreciate a rework. I couldn't really pinpoint any though, it's been years since I finished Sinnoh story so it's been a while since the last time I experienced the story, haha. And it looks like Sharktooth is indeed going to try doing something with the region stories after Astrella is done, so that's nice to hear, I guess.

Hi !

I love to follow the story of the games I play.

That and the difficulty are the reasons that led me to play fangames (I won't advertise, I don't think I'm allowed lol), the story of the official games being constantly in decline in quality.

I also really like to see small references hidden everywhere, some npcs made me laugh.

Currently, I am finishing Johto.
And I have to say, while Kanto's story seemed overly bizarre to me, Johto's is fine.

It lacks a bit of details in the dialogues of some npcs, but it's not too serious yet.

There have been some changes in the story, but that don't make it inconsistent with the official lore.
I just regret the absence of a main quest with Oh-oh or Lugia.
I don't necessarily ask to catch them, but at least to face them, especially given the names of the PRO servers lol.
But I think maybe it will come later in another quest.

I think a rework of Kanto is needed.

But the rest seems better. I'm waiting to see the following regions.

The only thing I want is to try to make it consistent with the lore of the official games and their chronology.
But I'm asking too much, it's not really the game's selling point.