upgrade the graphics

Nguyenphuc283

1. 1.

36185 half year to spend ~20 hours a week working on the game

it has taken me the best part of 50 hours a week for the whole of the PRO project lifespan (just over a year) to get what we have.

also, try reading what I wrote about 3D objects

TJ6qktU.gif

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird to say "Graphics won't be updated in the future". If enough artists offers to do it in the spare time as a side project (won't be getting in the way of stuff that is on the priority list), then it doesn't make sense to deny it completely.

I'm against making it 3D as well, the retro feel suits pokemon better as it is how people remember the game originally. It's just that the tilesets can be better (their by no means bad), and if other artists is like "Hey, I can work on improving these, you won't have to spend any time on it". It's ridicilous to be like "hmm.. nope!".

I'd imagine when this project started that the developers wanted what they spent so many hours on to last. If you love this game, never completely dismiss any quality of life improvements. Even if it is very low priority and won't happen in years, quality of life improvements should always be thought of as a possibility and not something that will never happen.

35997Why is it never enough for people?
Players wanting more is a good indicator that they like the game.

:Heart:

I still think that the game could profit form higher resolution tiles and sprites. And it wouldn't be that hard to do it either. Sure, server cap and stability are more pressing issues, but completely dismissing the idea is just not right.

Merse, i dont think you quite grasp what would need to be done here.

We have 148 tilesheets (at 256x1024 resolution)

More tiles get made and added every day.

We most certainly do not need to change from 2D to 3D. A 3D 'tile' doesnt exist. It would need to be a 3D object. Making a mesh for a building is completely different to simply drawing a flat plane object in PS/GIMP.

I did most of this tile system, so please i think i know somewhat what i am talking about.

As for improving the clarity of the current tiles, this will most likely happen, but slowly over the life of PRO, we have other more important things for the artists to be working on (NPCs and other bits). And as the only artist specifically assigned to making and maintaining the tile system i am making sure we have all the images needed for the mapping team to do what they do with the skills they have, before we update the quality of the ones we have.

Updating the clarity and sharpness of tiles will happen though, believe me.

TJ6qktU.gif

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

Who the heck was talking about switching to 3D? I never wanted PRO to become 3D in any way, sorry if I wasn't clear...

But if you increase the size of the texture file the tiles use you can squeeze more details and smoother lines into one tile, that's all I was saying. I'm glad that it's on the schedule :Angel: