I still dont fully understand EV training, but now people are saying you can do it even at level 100

Breebreebran

All I know about EVs: effort values, certain pokemon give certain ones.

I want my pikachu to be a hard hitting pokemon(only level 20 right now) so I've just been grinding and fleeing battles unless I encounter a pokemon who gives atk EVs (ekans manky arbok spinarak)

Someone said dont worry about it just get to level 100 and then EV train them.

Do you agree? I was under the impression that EVs calculate how many points you gain in a stat upon leveling up. So if I was at level 100 and I dont level up anymore, how would the EVs still apply? Am I wasting time by trying to hunt for specific ev pokemon right now this early into the game?

you can ev train them at level5 or level100 doesnt really matter, at level100 its easier because you can 1hit everything

you will get ev's everytime you kill a pokemon BUT you can use ev reduce berries to reduce specific ev stats

or you go instantly for the 252evs in atk/spd/spatk

• random number generation

An acronym for "random number generator" or "random number generation", it refers to the process by which computers generate apparently random numbers, essentially the computer equivalent of 'chance'.

It's true. Each Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EVs invested into it, so as long as you have less you are still able to EV train.

I wouldn't recommend it though since you'll end up getting a load of incorrect EVs whilst leveling and could end up spending money on EV reducing berries and, though they are cheap, it's just a big hassle to reset all the incorrect EVs.

3aTirvj.png

Check out PRO's Official Discord:

https://discord.gg/FdtDfG4

I want my pikachu to be a hard hitting pokemon(only level 20 right now) so I've just been grinding and fleeing battles unless I encounter a pokemon who gives atk EVs (ekans manky arbok spinarak)

While it is possible to play pika on atk, I just want to make sure that moves such as Thunderbolt would be less effective then as if you were going spatk. ATK is purely for physical attacks. Most people play pika *if they play pika at all* as spatk or at least hybrid.

Someone said dont worry about it just get to level 100 and then EV train them.

I agree, unless you have a pika with really great nature, IVs and ability I wouldnt bother ev training him. Just wait until you finish story and catch new poke to ev train.

I was under the impression that EVs calculate how many points you gain in a stat upon leveling up. So if I was at level 100 and I dont level up anymore, how would the EVs still apply? Am I wasting time by trying to hunt for specific ev pokemon right now this early into the game?

EVs have nothing to do with leveling up. They are simply another type of stats. For 4 EVs you gain 1 stat.. so for example if you have 4 atk evs your poke has +1 atk.

fippsiee6u1y.png

317334 For 4 EVs you gain 1 stat.. so for example if you have 4 atk evs your poke has +1 atk.

I just killed 9 zubats and my speed hasnt gone up. Any reason for that?

Fippsie forgot to mention that this is true on level 100 ;) The smaller your level, the less of an impact through EVs. 4 EVs equal 1 stat point on level 100, you will not see a big difference on early levels (this doesn't mean that you get a huge jump on level 100 though, just that they slowly become more and more visible)

317334 For 4 EVs you gain 1 stat.. so for example if you have 4 atk evs your poke has +1 atk.

I just killed 9 zubats and my speed hasnt gone up. Any reason for that?

Yep, that's because this statement is only true for lvl 100 Pokémons.

Here is the full formula:

MJXQlkF.png

It means that, at lvl 50, you'll need 8 EVs in order to gain 1 stat.

Lvl 25: 16 EVs for 1 stat.

And so on