PRO Viability Rankings (PVP)

Maui

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PRO Viability Rankings (PVP) v0.97_2

<r><QUOTE author="Bong2015" post_id="385862" time="1494770007" user_id="187513"><s>

</s><br/>

Nice list.<br/>

(I just comment to see my new sign)<br/>

<e>

</e></QUOTE><br/>

lol, it's looking good bro.</r>

• 2 weeks later...

<r>My first post here. Just trying to be as constructive as possible. It's all up for discussion. <br/>

<br/>

<B><s></s>Name:<e></e></B> Gengar<br/>

<B><s></s>Current tier:<e></e></B> A<br/>

<B><s></s>Desired tier:<e></e></B> A+<br/>

<B><s></s>Reason:<e></e></B> With the addition of the long-coveted Focus Blast and the fact that Pursuit has yet to be coded, Gengar can now deal with some of his counters and check the likes of Tyranitar, Krookodile, Bisharp and Weavile (on the switch for the last two, although the latter doesn't take Sludge Bombs well at all). The new move also allows Gengar to secure OHKOs that he wasn't able to achieve before, namely on non-scarfed Hydreigon (and on the switch if scarfed), Magnezone (while living any hit from scarfed variants), Excadrill (if the latter predicts a poison-type move and chooses to switch in) and Mamoswine, while letting him finish off Ferrothorn after the latter has lost 1/4 of its HP. Some notable 2HKOs include specially defensive variants of Snorlax, Empoleon and Umbreon. Gengar's main poison-type move nails fully physically defensive variants of Clefable (while almost OHKOing Calm sets), Azumarill (while being able to stomach a choice-banded Aqua Jet), Togekiss, Breloom and physically defensive Tangrowth, while his other STAB move, Shadow Ball, has good neutral coverage and OHKOs Metagross, Chandelure, Dusknoir and Bold variants of Slowbro, while hitting Jellicent, specially defensive Jirachi and specially defensive Mew hard (nearly OHKOing the former). With the combination of Focus Blast and Taunt, Gengar can break past Chansey and Blissey. Gengar's ability, Levitate, gives him an immunity to ground-type attacks and Arena Trap, while his typing grants him two extra immunities to normal-type and fight-type attacks. While Gengar has many perks allowing him to function well in the current metagame, his frailty means he gets easily revenge-killed by priority users, mostly Talonflame and Choice Band Scizor, as well as faster Choice Scarf users, namely Tyranitar. While Gengar has a decent speed tier, he is outsped and OHKO'd by offensive and bulky Timid Starmie (Psyshock always neats the OHKO on Gengar), Alakazam, Protect Blaziken (after gaining one Speed Boost), as well as Sand Rush Excadrill (with Iron Head) and most, if not all, Swift Swim users (most notably Kingdra, Omastar and Kabutops). Specially defensive Gliscor carrying Knock Off can also check Gengar lacking HP Ice. Life Orb recoil damage also limits Gengar's longevity and he doesn't like coming in too many times when Stealth Rock is up. Due to his ability, Levitate, Gengar can't clear Toxic Spikes like other poison-type Pokémon. Focus Blast's inaccuracy also hurts Gengar as an expected OHKO on a certain Pokémon will almost always result in Gengar dying to the latter. All in all, Gengar's positive traits outweigh all these drawbacks and, while he's certainly not S-material, he is definitely a top-threat that players should prepare for when building their teams. I think Gengar should be A+ (until Pursuit gets finally coded).<br/>

<br/>

Multiple sets are certainly possible, but the main (and, in my opinion, best) one should be the Life Orb set with Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, Focus Blast and Taunt. Destiny Bond is also an option (although not coded yet, I believe). Will-O-Wisp can be used to burn a Pokémon on a predicted switch and should be used in tandem with Hex (and perhaps even Black Sudge). Icy Wind or HP Ice are also options to surprise the likes of Garchomp, Gliscor, Salamence and Dragonite. The latter should be HP Ice'd after losing Multiscale, but can be Icy Wind'd on an expected Dragon Dance. Choice Specs allows Gengar to hit harder, but being unable to switch between his three main moves on predicted switches (as Gengar can force a lot of Pokémon out) is the main drawback of the set. Choice Scarf variants nail Starmie on a predicted Rapid Spin, while luring the latter to use Psyshock before being OHKO'd by Shadow Ball. This also lets Gengar act as a surprise revenge killer (e.g. Focus Blast on Weavile or Thunderbolt on Gyarados after one Dragon Dance) and even allows him to outspeed some Swift Swim users, depending on the sets they're running. Focus Sash can be used to lead with Gengar, as the coverage and the speed allow it to dismantle a few common leads.<br/>

<br/>

Apologies to the moderator who had to approve this post so many times, because I kept editing it to add and remove a few words here and there.<br/>

<br/>

I edited this post a few more times after it got quoted. I must have been brain dead at the time, because I mentioned Focus Blast'ing Skarmory upon roosting and removing Toxic Spikes thanks to Gengar's typing. Obviously, Focus Blast doesn't double the damage on Skarmory when it roosts, because Gengar is faster and can't take advantage of Skarmory becoming a steel-type Pokémon. Levitate makes Gengar unable to remove Toxic Spikes. Both points are now no longer mentioned in this post.</r>

Indoor-Fishh.png

<r><QUOTE author="Jorogumo" post_id="389641" time="1495661118" user_id="1005780"><s>

</s>

My first post here. Just trying to be as constructive as possible. It's all up for discussion. <br/>

<br/>

<B><s></s>Name:<e></e></B> Gengar<br/>

<B><s></s>Current tier:<e></e></B> A<br/>

<B><s></s>Desired tier:<e></e></B> A+<br/>

<B><s></s>Reason:<e></e></B> With the addition of the long-coveted Focus Blast and the fact that Pursuit has yet to be coded, Gengar can now deal with some of his counters and check the likes of Tyranitar, Krookodile, Bisharp and Weavile (on the switch for the last two, although the latter doesn't take Sludge Bombs well at all). The new move also allows Gengar to secure OHKOs that he wasn't able to achieve before, namely on non-scarfed Hydreigon (and on the switch if scarfed), Magnezone (while living any hit from scarfed variants), specially defensive Skarmory (upon roosting off Shadow Ball damage and not regaining Sturdy), Excadrill (if the latter predicts a poison-type move and chooses to switch in) and Mamoswine, while letting him finish off Ferrothorn after the latter has lost 1/4 of its HP. Some notable 2HKOs include specially defensive variants of Snorlax, Empoleon and Umbreon. Gengar's main poison-type move nails fully physically defensive variants of Clefable (while almost OHKOing Calm sets), Azumarill (while being able to stomach a choice-banded Aqua Jet), Togekiss, Breloom and physically defensive Tangrowth, while his other STAB move, Shadow Ball, has good neutral coverage and OHKOs Metagross, Chandelure, Dusknoir and Bold variants of Slowbro, while hitting Jellicent, specially defensive Jirachi and specially defensive Mew hard (nearly OHKOing the former). With the combination of Focus Blast and Taunt, Gengar can break past Chansey and Blissey. Gengar's ability, Levitate, gives him an immunity to ground-type attacks and Arena Trap, while his typing grants him two extra immunities to normal-type and fight-type attacks. While Gengar has many perks allowing him to function well in the current metagame, his frailty means he gets easily revenge-killed by priority users, mostly Talonflame and Choice Band Scizor, as well as faster Choice Scarf users, namely Tyranitar. While Gengar has a decent speed tier, he is outsped and OHKO'd by offensive and bulky Timid Starmie (Psyshock always neats the OHKO on Gengar), Alakazam, Protect Blaziken (after gaining one Speed Boost), as well as Sand Rush Excadrill (with Iron Head) and most, if not all, Swift Swim users (most notably Kingdra, Omastar and Kabutops). Specially defensive Gliscor carrying Knock Off can also check Gengar. Life Orb recoil damage also limits Gengar's longevity and, while he doesn't like coming in too many times when Stealth Rock is up, he can clear Toxic Spikes thanks to his typing. Focus Blast's inaccuracy also hurts Gengar as an expected OHKO on a certain Pokémon will almost always result in Gengar dying to the latter. All in all, Gengar's positive traits outweigh all these drawbacks and, while he's certainly not S-material, he is definitely a top-threat that players should prepare for when building their teams. I think Gengar should be A+ (until Pursuit gets finally coded).<br/>

<br/>

Multiple sets are certainly possible, but the main (and, in my opinion, best) one should be the Life Orb set with Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, Focus Blast and Taunt. Destiny Bond is also an option (although not coded yet, I believe). Will-O-Wisp can be used to burn a Pokémon on a predicted switch and should be used in tandem with Hex (and perhaps even Black Sudge). Icy Wind or HP Ice are also options to surprise the likes of Garchomp, Salamence and Dragonite. The latter should be HP Ice'd after losing Multiscale, but can be Icy Wind'd on an expected Dragon Dance. Choice Specs allows Gengar to hit harder, but being unable to switch between his three main moves on predicted switches (as Gengar can force a lot of Pokémon out) is the main drawback of the set. Choice Scarf variants nail Starmie on a predicted Rapid Spin, while luring the latter to use Psyshock before being OHKO'd by Shadow Ball. This also lets Gengar act as a surprise revenge killer (e.g. Focus Blast on Weavile or Thunderbolt on Gyarados after one Dragon Dance) and even allows him to outspeed some Swift Swim users, depending on the sets they're running. Focus Sash can be used to lead with Gengar, as the coverage and the speed allow it to dismantle a few common leads.<br/>

<br/>

Apologies to the moderator who had to approve this post so many times, because I kept editing it to add and remove a few words here and there.

<e>

</e></QUOTE>

Wow, thank you for this post. I agree with what you posted here. The addition of Focus Blast definitely does increase the viability of Gengar a significant amount. I also heard that Sludge Wave would be added as well so I'll make this change shortly.</r>

<t>Reserving this post for now. I'll be posting about Alakazam and why a rise from B+ to A- might be justified thanks to the addition of Focus Blast, the lack of Pursuit trapping, as well as the combination of Magic Guard and Focus Sash.</t>

Indoor-Fishh.png