PVP Council

Njnp

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the game's staff willing to support a council of PvP elite making decisions that affect their own welfare and standings within the game?

In a normal game, competitive rules are laid out by a staff who aren't eligible for competitive play. Their interest is strictly in making a good and non-toxic gaming experience. In this proposal, the rule-making body is composed of players who have a vested interest in being or remaining the best. As stated, they would be picked from among the best PvP players. If those players are eligible for competitive play, we have to assume that they will make decisions with their own best interests in mind.

Who will elect these councilors? How long will a councilor be allowed to remain in the position before a new one must be cycled in? Will who's in the council at any time be public knowledge?

There's a lot of decisions that have to go into governance of any body that if made incorrectly could screw things up more than help. And these are things to consider just on setting up the group, not even on making decisions.

Hopefully the game staff is willing, it would be for the betterment of pro. Most don’t actively play pvp to my knowledge so it be great for another party to regulate.

I don't know why you would assume that the parties would make decisions in their best interest when it states that they refer to the community before making any decision or starting any suspect. If no one is talking about for example: Garchomp then the council can’t randomly suspect garchomp...if they were to for whatever reason the admins can reprimand/terminate the leader.

The admins/mods here would elect the leader. The leader would then do his best to make a non bias selection on who represents the council. The council members can be council members as long as they wish but must be active and helping/repersenting the community. Who is on the council will most definitely be public knowledge. They should be held accountable just like any other party and be transparent with any decision.

• Like 4

i think this is a very good idea as many most staffs are very inexperienced when it comes to pvp , so electing a council that can make decisions for the public regarding pvp will be very effective and will also help balance the game out more

• Like 2
[MEDIA=giphy]Tf3mp01bfrrUc[/MEDIA]

While I support the idea of a council in principle, it is important to realize that it is much easier to criticize someone else's decisions than to make the correct one on your own. Although a player council may have better overall skill than staff, it is far from given that they would always make the right decisions. Whenever the question of whether or not something should be banned has been put to forums, there has always been a lot of parroting Smogon and very little legitimate discussion. We see nonsensical reasonings from even Top 25 players, and a prevailing opinion that stall is the root of all evil. Furthermore, players all have their own biases. Combined with the relatively less formal setting of PRO PvP compared to Smogon, this could quickly result in controversy and chaos. (See the first attempt at banning Shadow Tag from the Ubers tier) This, to me, indicates that a council with final authority to ban (such as Gen VI UU Council) would be a terrible idea.

However, as stated previously, PRO's "suspect tests" leave a lot to be desired. Thus, a council possessing only the ability to slate problematic factors for suspect tests would be no different from staff putting them up to vote and be subject to the same weaknesses (mob mentality, Blissey probably being banned within the week for no good reason, etc.) The council should therefore also be able to set the requirements for suspect tests. These tests should require an overwhelming supermajority (75%?) to overturn the status quo, to prevent abuse.

Finally, the more power the council has, the more drama will inevitably ensue about someone's favorite Pokemon being banned / escaping the banhammer.

edit: I wonder how many of the supporters just want to be on the council :^)

• Like 3

Fu2zc9T.jpg

Thanks to MadFrost for the signature!