The Ultimate Boss Guide for Newbies! REWORKED AFTER UPDATES!

Bhimoso

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

@Eytan525

Prioritise removing the opponent's item instead of Mementoing a second time. Pokemon in bosses only switch out under the following conditions:

When a move runs out of pp and is choice locked
When a pokemon has completely run out of pp
When the pokemon is locked into a single move with no pp
When the pokemon is locked via taunt/assault vest and has no damaging moves available
When perish song counter is about to reach 0
When destiny bond is used a certain % of the time
When its only move is disabled by disable or cursed body
When a pokemon is locked into a move to which the enemy pokemon is immune to (x4 resistant moves still make the opponent stay in)

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxydK7CUEwL47Ym7hIkMbSA <- Youtube channel with guides!

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/forum/13-game-guide/ <- Check my game guides (and other's guides) here!

5 hours ago, Bhimoso said:

@Eytan525

Prioritise removing the opponent's item instead of Mementoing a second time. Pokemon in bosses only switch out under the following conditions:

When a move runs out of pp and is choice locked
When a pokemon has completely run out of pp
When the pokemon is locked into a single move with no pp
When the pokemon is locked via taunt/assault vest and has no damaging moves available
When perish song counter is about to reach 0
When destiny bond is used a certain % of the time
When its only move is disabled by disable or cursed body
When a pokemon is locked into a move to which the enemy pokemon is immune to (x4 resistant moves still make the opponent stay in)

Thanks for the quick response! 

I haven't been locking the boss pokemon into any moves so I am not sure what condition I am meeting. Maybe the answer for now is not to take so long to set up. If I memento, then use reflect or light screen (I currently only have 1 memento pokemon), then flash 6 times, then setup mega slowbro, that's 17 moves. I guess I should aim to keep it to 15 or less? 

@Eytan525

You are not locking the boss into any moves by accident or anything btw. Your strategy is good. You need to however check in the ProWiki that many bosses first pokemon hold a Choice item. That means that if you don't remove it and they run out of PP, they will switch out to another pokemon. When is this a problem?

It is a problem when the lead of the opponent uses a move with low PP and holds a choice item. Example: Victini Choice Band Bolt Strike/V-Create in boss Xylos. These 2 moves are the moves it uses 99% of the time. They only have 5 pp so if you do not use the moves Switcheroo, Trick, Thief or Knock Off they will switch out after a few turns.

It is not a problem when the lead of the opponent uses a move with high pp and holds a choice item. Example: Bugsy Boss has a Scizor lead with Choice Band. However, 99% of the time it spams Bullet Punch or Pursuit. Both have a LOT of PP so you can take MANY turns without worrying. 

You should check in the prowiki to see ALL bosses you intend to do. Then, check the first pokemon in their lineup.

Does it hold a Choice item? Yes - is it worth removing? Or will it not be necessary?

No - Proceed to set up as you wish.

Write the names of each boss down.

Write the lead pokemon, item and moves of the boss' pokemon you intend to fight. Depending on each boss you will be able to set up differently.

For example, against Lt Surge you will always switcheroo the lagging tail onto Rotom - remove its specs that way - immediately memento. Then switch to another debuffer and Flash until it is at -6 accuracy. Then if possible Memento/Light Screen and switch to Slowbro. Megaevolve, Calm Mind 6 times then Iron Defense 3 times then sweep while you heal with Slack Off.

As another example of a boss that barely requires preparation: Start with Whimsicott vs Bugsy's Scizor. It will always go for Bullet Punch in the first turn. Simply sacrifice the Whimsicott using Memento (it will instadie from the Bullet Punch). Switch to your Stealth Rocker, use the move, set up some Spikes and explode. Then you just immediately switch into Mega Slowbro, Iron Defense 3 times because Scizor will be locked into Bullet Punch for many turns, then set up Calm Minds while you heal and sweep.

TLDR: write down the first pokemon of each boss, moves, ability, item, all info. Think what do you need to do to set up properly against it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxydK7CUEwL47Ym7hIkMbSA <- Youtube channel with guides!

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/forum/13-game-guide/ <- Check my game guides (and other's guides) here!

14 hours ago, Bhimoso said:

@Eytan525

You are not locking the boss into any moves by accident or anything btw. Your strategy is good. You need to however check in the ProWiki that many bosses first pokemon hold a Choice item. That means that if you don't remove it and they run out of PP, they will switch out to another pokemon. When is this a problem?

It is a problem when the lead of the opponent uses a move with low PP and holds a choice item. Example: Victini Choice Band Bolt Strike/V-Create in boss Xylos. These 2 moves are the moves it uses 99% of the time. They only have 5 pp so if you do not use the moves Switcheroo, Trick, Thief or Knock Off they will switch out after a few turns.

It is not a problem when the lead of the opponent uses a move with high pp and holds a choice item. Example: Bugsy Boss has a Scizor lead with Choice Band. However, 99% of the time it spams Bullet Punch or Pursuit. Both have a LOT of PP so you can take MANY turns without worrying. 

You should check in the prowiki to see ALL bosses you intend to do. Then, check the first pokemon in their lineup.

Does it hold a Choice item? Yes - is it worth removing? Or will it not be necessary?

No - Proceed to set up as you wish.

Write the names of each boss down.

Write the lead pokemon, item and moves of the boss' pokemon you intend to fight. Depending on each boss you will be able to set up differently.

For example, against Lt Surge you will always switcheroo the lagging tail onto Rotom - remove its specs that way - immediately memento. Then switch to another debuffer and Flash until it is at -6 accuracy. Then if possible Memento/Light Screen and switch to Slowbro. Megaevolve, Calm Mind 6 times then Iron Defense 3 times then sweep while you heal with Slack Off.

As another example of a boss that barely requires preparation: Start with Whimsicott vs Bugsy's Scizor. It will always go for Bullet Punch in the first turn. Simply sacrifice the Whimsicott using Memento (it will instadie from the Bullet Punch). Switch to your Stealth Rocker, use the move, set up some Spikes and explode. Then you just immediately switch into Mega Slowbro, Iron Defense 3 times because Scizor will be locked into Bullet Punch for many turns, then set up Calm Minds while you heal and sweep.

TLDR: write down the first pokemon of each boss, moves, ability, item, all info. Think what do you need to do to set up properly against it.

Thank you! I think this solves my problems. I need to incorporate a knock off or thief pokemon into my rotation. I just fought Urahara on hard and I guess Lucario used all of his extreme speed and ice punch before I was fully set up. I probably need to start doing more research on the starting pokemon of each boss, like you said. 

• Like 1