Changes to OT requirements.

Amygdala

This is concerning the OT req. using the Mega update as an exmaple but also applies to future and past events where an OT pokemon was or will be required. When I make a non-subscription purchase I like the feeling of owning said purchase In every possible way. When you have bought a pokemon and have used it for years and/or months it feels like a kick in the face when something tells you, you can't use this pokemon because you weren't the first owner. You have done the full process of purchasing said item. Legally, morally, and with proper etiquette both sides consented of transferring ownership. So who's to say how I can or can't use my pokemon. (Besides of course rules that help the quality of the game of which I don't agree this is one.)

Now to the three factors that make this thread worthy of attention.

Is my suggestion feasible?

I have no experience of coding so I can be swayed to either side. Comparing this to other projects you guys have done from the outside this would seem like a "simple" unlock or lock.

How does my suggestion benefit the community?

Makes it so people that have bonded and trained their poke, regardless if they are the original owner use the non-ot poke for an ot specific quest.

Strengths and Weaknesses

The only weakness I see to this is making questing too easy. Meaning someone buying a pokemon and finishing a quest right away. My solution to this would be adding a cooldown to how quickly someone can use a bought pokemon for OT quests. This would be up to you of course, but I wouldn't be against around 3 months of a waiting period. This would discourage someone from buying a pokemon simply for a OT quest. (Of which I have no problem against btw)

uwuchan

Edited by Amygdala
  • Like 4

You only need one level 100 pokemon with max happiness and your OT to get the mega bracelet. You could just catch a T1 pokemon like Magikarp or Pidgey and train it, which takes some effort but its a quest in an MMO, so I dont see any problem about that. Maybe you even have a Synchronize Alakazam ready to get the mega bracelet.

You dont need OT pokemon for most of the mega quests and for the mega starter quest everybody has to train a new catch anyway. Thats just how the quest works.

• Like 3

You only need one level 100 pokemon with max happiness and your OT to get the mega bracelet. You could just catch a T1 pokemon like Magikarp or Pidgey and train it, which takes some effort but its a quest in an MMO, so I don't see any problem with that. Maybe you even have a Synchronize Alakazam ready to get the mega bracelet.

You don't need OT pokemon for most of the mega quests and for the mega starter quest everybody has to train a new catch anyway. Thats just how the quest works.

It was definitely my fault for making it seem like the main point was about megas but it's definitely not. This is an OT requirement problem which I feel you didn't give an answer to at all. But made a point about it not being that bad because you don't really need that much OT? Which is evading the main problem, I will fix my post to make it more clear.

I mean yea i agree with it that you buy stuff that you like and you use it, but personally i don't agree with it, well i do, but not entirely, yes i agree to the part that you like stuff you buy, but i don't agree that there shouldn't be any OT requirements. it's an MMO and therefore should be made grindy, you're supposed to work for objectives, not have others do the work for you

• Like 1

582664592_SignaturePRO.gif.70cdafd9bdecee8b3cbad20ae1fcc93a.gif

I mean yea i agree with it that you buy stuff that you like and you use it, but personally i don't agree with it, well i do, but not entirely, yes i agree to the part that you like stuff you buy, but i don't agree that there shouldn't be any OT requirements. it's an MMO and therefore should be made grindy, you're supposed to work for objectives, not have others do the work for you

I think I know what you're saying so here's my counter. I do agree MMOs tend to be grindy but make no mistake PRO is definitely an outlier. In MMOs trading is definitely something that is a big part of the genre. This is the case in PRO also, however, trading something in other MMOs and restricting the new owner by stating the item can't be used in a quest or something of the sort is absolutely not the norm. Also, your last statement, "you're supposed to work for objectives, not have others do the work for you." I'm sure you wouldn't hold this viewpoint on trading for pvp/pve, lending services, EV services, and leveling services. Because this after all is making someone else "do the work for you."

Edited by Amygdala

Its not even that hard to do and even ties in with the lore about mega bracelets needing a strong bond between trainer and "their" poke and you could always just catch a poke and have someone else train it for you then just happiness train it

20210516_215416.gif.0f5637474a7259a9f90d53025e5a8a7b.gif

Its not even that hard to do and even ties in with the lore about mega bracelets needing a strong bond between trainer and "their" poke and you could always just catch a poke and have someone else train it for you then just happiness train it

Maybe you didn't see my previous reply but this isn't specifically about this mega update. I don't care if you think it's easy or not. I care about making the precedent of changing how the OT requirements work. What I'm saying is just because you think it's easy now doesn't mean there won't come an update were it's not gonna be easy. So it would be better to get ahead of that and change it. Also, I don't think it's smart to base game rules off the lore as some things can be game-breaking. I never watched Pokemon so I can't really say but I'd imagine some things with the pvp don't strictly adhere to the rules of the show.

Edited by Amygdala

• 1 year later...

Hmm... changing the OT of the Pokemon. In theory, sounds okay. Then you dwell deeper into the thought.

(TL;DR at the bottom for those who hate long paragraphs)

What does OT mean? Original Trainer and what does "Original" refer too? The one who first caught it.

Even if that said individual sold/resold a Pokemon to you with full concent, once you replace the OT it would be like completely neglecting/decrediting the Original Trainer who spent countless hours/days/months trying to capture that specific Pokemon. Sure, it would make certain quests/events easier to do, but to what extend? If making something easier in a MMO is your soul purpose with this, then that is a -1 from me, if decrediting a user's work and making it your own and or making it look like you caught it, its a even heaver -1 from me.

But I'm not entirely against it. Owning something fully is also a part of someone's intense desire, sadly not mine though, so I can't relate.

Anyway... Let's dwell a little deeper into this...

On 8/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Amygdala said:

When I make a non-subscription purchase I like the feeling of owning said purchase In every possible way. When you have bought a pokemon and have used it for years and/or months it feels like a kick in the face when something tells you, you can't use this pokemon because you weren't the first owner. You have done the full process of purchasing said item.

Making a non-subscription purchase for anything on PRO doesn't imprint your name on it does it? (I.e buying a Mount and then that Mount suddenly have the "OT" on it) Its weird and that's why games doesn't have such features. Also, owning a Pokemon for months/years as someone else's OT still doesn't make it yours, realistically speaking it would "still" remember their original trainer put into a realistic scenario. And after all... All you did was buying it, the fact that someone else put a lot of effort or got lucky still remains a fact, and that is what MMO is all about, even if you try to neglect it with PRO it still stands as a grindy MMO in my eyes and from personal experiences with the game. I feel that it is justified for a game to have such requirements in place, because it shows that money isn't everything. It also makes the game harder and it makes you want to continue playing and aiming for that well deserved reward. Neglect these requirements and everything about PRO would instantly be easier to complete. Just take the Rattata quest to enter Hoenn as an example, you need a level 80 OT Rattata, this would suddenly be a common service for veterans to sell to new players or even transfer between their alt(s) to complete regions easier. Its small things like this that would basically off-set the difficulity of things on PRO and eventually take the entire "Grindy" part away from quests/events/story/daily tasks.

Legally, morally, and with proper etiquette both sides consented of transferring ownership.

Yes, they may have "consented", but that still doesn't mean you can decredit their only source for someone to know who actually put effort into catching said Pokemon. As a content creator I wouldn't sell something to someone and then allow them to completely decredit all the work I put into it and make it look like they were the ones creating it.

So who's to say how I can or can't use my pokemon.

PRO is a MMO after all, it wants to keep you around playing for an indefinite time. And this means completing tasks on your own, not buying your way into completing quests/events/daily tasks etc. Otherwise it wouldn't be grindy and you would quickly be able to complete things that would normally take you a day or more grinding for.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:27 PM, Amygdala said:

[...] This is the case in PRO also, however, trading something in other MMOs and restricting the new owner by stating the item can't be used in a quest or something of the sort is absolutely not the norm.

Then you need to play more MMO titles. Iirc Runescape had a ton of trading items that the owner could not use in quests because they were not the original owner. This is completely normal if a game is meant to be grindy, and not like one of those Pay2Win MMO titles that don't care about grind but about paying to progress.

If PRO did implement this raw change without altering it, what would happen?

It would completely decredit the work of the player who first caught it with no way of knowing who it was if someone was curious. Would make questing on PRO much easier. It would also with 100% certainty create a ton of new "services" that people would sell (i.e "Sinnoh's Daily News Reporter" where OT is required and caught within 24 hours) or services for OT pokes for quests/events and or mega stones/legendaries. It would quickly get out of hand and it would open up A LOT of oppertunities for new services since OT is a big part of the game's requirements.

And please don't take this negatively, I'm just giving you constructive feedback.

If you feel personally attacked, that was not my intention and I apologize in advance. 

Anime-Neko-ears.gif.64bf4dc1acd973414677b378e1a8cb92.gif

TL;DR

PRO is a MMO game and it is meant to be grindy. Taking away a Pokemon's OT is like decrediting the player who first caught it or making it look like you "caught" it. Furthermore it would create a lot of new "services" for quests/events/daily tasks that depends on OT as a requirement which could destablize the economy on PRO. I assume a lot of rework is needed to implement something like this. I'm not against this, but I'm not for this either.

Edited by Electrocute4u

Contributor 

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different"

Forum post | Bulba - Discord Bot | Website

MyAnimeList Profile and Stats

Discord Status

spacer.png