Official Tournament Talk

Rekkuza

319699 I think that the OT rule shouldn't be there for a competitive event like a tournament in PRO, that's like wanting to make an Olympic game open to more people by restricting the amount of training an athlete can do.

A core component to PRO is its market, trading pokemon and farming money to buy pokemon is a fundamental element to the game, and no one (or very few people, for personal choice) ever paid much attention to the OT, considering only the “quality” of the pokemon.

Everyone in this MMO strived to get the best possible combination of ability/nature/IVs, that can be achieved through 2 different ways: hunting or trading. Since everyone knows that the spawn rates are specifically designed for a MMO environment (some pokemon are so rare that only few players will be ever able to obtain epic ones through hunting), restricting a tournament to OT-only pokemon really upsets everyone who focused and spent a lot of time into obtaining really good pokemon through trading.

A “tournament” is itself the definition of competitiveness, the best player wins, it's not something that should be designed to give a winning-chance to as many people as possible by providing an equal “disadvantage” to everyone.

The OT rule not only penalizes the veteran players without almost any OT pokemon left (because the longer you’re in the game, the more epic pokemon you get, the less OT pokemon you have because you realized that in order to get a good competitive team, trading is necessary), but also penalizes the less experienced players that focused on trading since very early in the game.

The OT-rule makes this tournament designed in a way that “lucky” people are given an enormous advantage, the one with the better legendary or the better luck in general will prevail. The ones with experience in PvP won’t likely participate by hunting a whole new team specifically for this tournament, given all the effort that they put into building a good competitive team already.

If the original intention of the event was to involve a wider amount of people, probably a better idea would be to design a different kind of event that gives clear advantages to lucky people and puts everyone in the same starting position, something like a hide and seek event or anything different from a PvP tournament.

Tournaments will be always won by people with experience in PvP and that are likely already in the ladder, like Olympic games will be always won by the best athlete that put the most effort into training.

That said, it’s just my opinion, and as a former staffer I’d like to see the community appreciating the effort of the current staffers that dedicated their time into making this event as enjoyable as possible for you. We can all post our criticism in a way that doesn’t demoralize the people that are working hard for PRO community (there is already someone who takes good care of constantly doing so, no need to add the community to that as well). Everything can be talked through in a nice way <3

I fully agree with what Hideliet put here, on top of which i would also like to note the scenario this clause now places.

Not everyone is going to still have Epic OT mons - thats the obvious. Meaning lots of people will now need to go re-farm them. How is that fair on the veteran players who gave so much to the game and already built a pvp team(s) of epic mons not necessarily OT, and also the new players, that have IRL commitments limiting their time to even enjoy PRO, compared to the players that "no-life" the game and can play 10+ hours per day re-farming pokes, and lets not even mention botters because this OT clause gives them an insane advantage leading up to the event.

I also feel that a lot of red server players feel like they got the short end of the stick, getting Mesprit as their given reward pokemon, yet the "reasoning" why thats 'acceptable' is because (and i quote) "Red server already had a tournament"... Although it makes sense using the lake guardians and desegnating their colour to a server as a reward, Mesprit is pretty much useless, Uxie and Azelf are usable, Mesprit is not so much, i just feel that using this as a reason as to why Red should 'just accept' Mesprit is a little poor, just my honest opinion.

One last note, is players with insanely bad RNG (i speak as one of them, i havent had a single wild shiny pokemon and 90% of my wild catches are sync fails.... that is when i finally find the pokemon i was hunting), are going to flop in this tournament, given they cant build a good team of OT pokes due to poor luck.

A normal style tournament levels out the playing field in my honest opinion, the OT clause adds too many barriers to too many audiences and benefits the wrong audiences - as Hideliet pointed out with his Olympian comparison. I dont feel its fair for when there is finally a new tournament for players to participate in, its so limiting to people that have general bad RNG, cannot commit a lot of time to PRO daily/weekly, older players that sold their OT mons and bought better pokemon for Ranked PvP... i just feel there was a possible oversight in a lot of areas when arranging this tournament...

My final words on a lighter note is thankyou for at least arranging a tournament, im glad the community has been given something at least and has finally been given another tournament to take part in, and although Red seem to have taken a hit with the reward, i do like the idea of colour co-ordination to the server for the reward (although technically speaking, Mesprit is pink;) ). I hope we see more stuff like this in the forseeable future, and make them more frequent. The idea is much appreciated, and good luck to all who take part.

ZUtC0zO.png

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on forums, as this can then be of use to others. Please use proper forum when posting. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shewas15
319753 I would say the rule encourages more variety but this'll just be a tournament of Jirachi, Celebi, or Mew. Regardless, good luck people ^^
Still better than excadrill/talonflamme .

Who says people won't have excadrills and talonflames?

No one, but it's not going to be both everygames

319770 i do like the idea of colour co-ordination to the server for the reward

Entei/Suicune/Raikou was way more legit as a pvp reward coordoning servors+colors

319774 Entei/Suicune/Raikou was way more a legit as a pvp reward coordoning servors+colors

Yeah, i agree, or the legendary birds since we already had Suicune prize. (but if its colour co-ordinated, blue wouldn't have Suicune so it would be viable).

ZUtC0zO.png

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on forums, as this can then be of use to others. Please use proper forum when posting. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

319774 Entei/Suicune/Raikou was way more a legit as a pvp reward coordoning servors+colors

Yeah, i agree, or the legendary birds since we already had Suicune prize. (but if its colour co-ordinated, blue wouldn't have Suicune so it would be viable).

If they had chosen the birds we would have not only red but also blue crying about how their legendary isn't great in PvP ^^'