PvP Timer Change - Give us your opinion!

Eaty

• Developer

Change of plans, if so many people prefer Showdown's timer then how about this ...

180 seconds overall timer with +15 seconds every round.

Only for PvP ranked battles. Opinions?

• Like 37

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I must disagree with this suggestion because it promotes thinking less and clicking fast. Yet again, we are reminded that PRO and Showdown are inherently different because we do not have access to crucial information such as PPs, HP percentages, turns left before weather runs out, and whatnot. Consequently, we often have to keep track of all that while also thinking about our next moves and trying to check potentially game-changing damage calculations.

In my opinion, the best way to improve this suggestion is to let the initial 5-minute timer decay on its own while adding 15 seconds (as opposed to 10) to it every turn, due to the aforementioned differences between PRO and Showdown. The overall timer would be capped at 5 minutes regardless, thus allowing players to take the time to make their moves and occasionally think longer about crucial turns.

I would like to address another issue: thinking is not synonymous with time stalling. Last season, several players messaged me to ask me to stop time stalling when I was simply trying to make optimal plays. Am I expected to know every single damage calculation by heart? What sort of metagame are we trying to promote here? Do we want players to click moves within 5 seconds without allowing them the chance to think about the repercussions that those moves will have on the upcoming turns? I believe that we should not punish players who think (and possibly overthink). Sometimes, a single turn can decide the outcome of an entire match. Messages like "Stop time stalling or I'll report you" are also a problem because a lot of players need time to think about crucial turns and having to read that and explain to my opponents that I am merely thinking is truly frustrating.

Edit: @Eaty's latest proposal is something I can most definitely agree with.

• Like 8

Indoor-Fishh.png

Once again, 15 seconds are not enough, if you want to change the timer make it at least 30 seconds.

You have to think what move you want to use, what move your opp will use, predict, switch, thinking about the risk/reward of the move your doing, considering if its okay to let the pokemon die or you still need it in the battle, etc.

Neither do have information on the UI about weather turns left, percentage health on enemies pokemon etc.

15 seconds are not enough to take all into consideration and make a valid move in a strategic game like pokemon.

180 seconds overall timer is not enough at all, if I think about my move 10 seconds, I am able to do 18 turns which just makes no sense as battles can take way longer.

Missunderstood that part, a overall timer that adds 15 seconds each turn sounds nice in theory but the numbers need to be higher in general as we dont have a UI that displays any information like mentioned above.

Edited by Norex

I think it's perfect, a lot o players takes too much time to choose a movement; sometimes they are stalling, sometimes they use a damage calculator in all their moves; and all this makes the PvP a real headache, in combination with the forfeit it will be a better experience.

+1

calculations, predicting etc are just excuses to time stall and break opponents nerves, forcing them to make mistakes...predicting is a risk...it is sometimes based on opponents style...eg conservative players will try to protect pokes, agressive players to sweep etc...but anyway it is a desicion that should be taken in 5 seconds, since there is no safe choice...so overthinking over a prediction or calculating damage on a poke that its evs spread are unknown, its just excuses...so a change should be implemented to terminate time stall once and for all...on the other hand, 15secs are not enough...30-35secs would do the job...

That is simply untrue. Calculations aren't "excuses". In many matches, you sometimes need the time to calc to decide on whether or not an attack kills; this is very simple. If you think that your opponent is trying to "break your nerves" because they take 30 seconds each move (which they usually don't), then you are the one grasping at straws to limit the timer. I think that, regardless of the team archetype, players should be able to take the time to evaluate their decisions. Not every turn is a simple 5-second click, especially not against stall teams.

• Like 2

Showdown timer is pretty perfect, allows for time to think on turns that matter and helps prevent time stalling. Easy +1 even if people have issues with the showdown timer it is a sure improvement to our current timer. Honestly anyone who disagrees probably does not play showdown very much because i take time to think so the old timer honestly was to my benefit and I truly think it should not exist the way it does either.

• Like 1

LucarioSignature.gif.350c1b5461dad032ce9444ecf1edfdf8.gif

Check out my YOUTUBE if you like fun shenanigans:

https://www.youtube.com/c/McSchitter

@Eaty

I'd be curious to understand what timestall rules will be in place if this comes into effect? Is this to replace the existing rules, or will it be implemented as a supplementary measure to help avoid it?

If it is a replacement, this can still be abused. Theoretically, what you are suggesting allows someone to time stall for up to 5 minutes, with the intention of forcing the opponent to dc (or /surrender when implemented), knowing that thereafter they will need to make 15 second decisions, if their opponent waits it out.

Something to think about.