Ranked PvP Rules.

Shinohara

I want to suggest a rule regarding trapping because of the ongoing discussion about shadow tag.

Rule:

Pokemon with the abilities magnet pull, shadow tag and arena trap arent allowed to use stat-boosting moves nor encore

Motivation:

The abilities magnet pull, shadow tag and arena trap allow u to trap and (revenge-)kill a specific pokemon. All abilities are strong by themselves because u can get a number advantage if executed correctly. Because there is no counterplay besides moves like u-turn, volt switch or baton pass the mechanic can be very annoying. While trapping itself isnt a toxic mechanic the combination with mechanics like stat-boosting and healing is, because u normally try to use the trapper in a favorable match-up. In these situations being able to boost your stats for free can easily result in a sweep of multiple pokemons with little to no counterplay.

The rule limites the power of trapping by abusing a favorable matchup without killing the mechanic itself. The nerf is directed to shadow tag in particular because magnet pull and arena trap users arent using boosting moves in their common sets and are more offensive oriented. Encore is banned for those pokemon to add more counterplay through mindgames against mirror coat/counter users like wobbuffet.

If the rule isnt strong enough a ban of healing moves can be added. But without boosted defensive stats healing moves are already weaker (e.g. gothitelle cant just use rest at +0 and wait out the sleep turns). In this case a RestTalk set should be looked at seperatly because it consumes to move slots and has only a 66% chance to hit without letting u choose the move.

This rule has the advantage over a ban of one ability/pokemon, because strong abilities are in most cases compensated by weaker stats (not counting megas) leaving the pokemon useless without it (who would use a wobbuffet with telepathy in an open pvp format?). Also the mechanic adds counterplay to other strong mechanics balancing the whole game.

216868 I want to suggest a rule regarding trapping because of the ongoing discussion about shadow tag.

Rule:

Pokemon with the abilities magnet pull, shadow tag and arena trap arent allowed to use stat-boosting moves nor encore

Motivation:

The abilities magnet pull, shadow tag and arena trap allow u to trap and (revenge-)kill a specific pokemon. All abilities are strong by themselves because u can get a number advantage if executed correctly. Because there is no counterplay besides moves like u-turn, volt switch or baton pass the mechanic can be very annoying. While trapping itself isnt a toxic mechanic the combination with mechanics like stat-boosting and healing is, because u normally try to use the trapper in a favorable match-up. In these situations being able to boost your stats for free can easily result in a sweep of multiple pokemons with little to no counterplay.

The rule limites the power of trapping by abusing a favorable matchup without killing the mechanic itself. The nerf is directed to shadow tag in particular because magnet pull and arena trap users arent using boosting moves in their common sets and are more offensive oriented. Encore is banned for those pokemon to add more counterplay through mindgames against mirror coat/counter users like wobbuffet.

If the rule isnt strong enough a ban of healing moves can be added. But without boosted defensive stats healing moves are already weaker (e.g. gothitelle cant just use rest at +0 and wait out the sleep turns). In this case a RestTalk set should be looked at seperatly because it consumes to move slots and has only a 66% chance to hit without letting u choose the move.

This rule has the advantage over a ban of one ability/pokemon, because strong abilities are in most cases compensated by weaker stats (not counting megas) leaving the pokemon useless without it (who would use a wobbuffet with telepathy in an open pvp format?). Also the mechanic adds counterplay to other strong mechanics balancing the whole game.

without stats boost move, shadow tag gothitelle is just like a trash and would not be able to trap any pokemon even slowbro

ur suggest is just like banning dragon dance from dragonite, gyrados, just leading a pokemon to disappear in pvp

I strongly disapprove this proposal. In addition to what Danny said, it would add to the boredom of PVP to enforce such a rule. Imagine a Blissey vs Gothithelle fight, without Gothi buffs. MUCH FUN !! (wow)

If you guys wanna avoid Gothithelle, stop massively using walls. I just beat a guy named Doikon-something, he had such a stupid boring team -> Donphan, Sableye (can recover), Arcanine (def set, can recover), Slowbro (recovers on switch), Snorlax(can recover), Blissey (can recover). Come on, whats the point? The only way win issue is extremly time-consuming and 100% based on life stalling & curselax to finish the work lategame. What would it have been if I have had a similar team? Again, as already mentioned several times: a very long boring battle.

I really have seen enough of that crop, long live Gothithelle. I am gonna hunt one myself. Cheers.

To summarize -> Don't try to be fair with some "rules" if its only going one way. Plus, it's not the problem. There are just some items lacking.

4FVP

217136 If you guys wanna avoid Gothithelle, stop massively using walls. I just beat a guy named Doikon-something, he had such a stupid boring team -> Donphan, Sableye (can recover), Arcanine (def set, can recover), Slowbro (recovers on switch), Snorlax(can recover), Blissey (can recover). Come on, whats the point? The only way win issue is extremly time-consuming and 100% based on life stalling & curselax to finish the work lategame.

I really have seen enough of that [Censored], long live Gothithelle. I am gonna hunt one myself. Cheers.

Its like u put the words out of my heart and just wrote them down. :Heart:

What about a rule like not switching 3 or more times in a row without using a move? Would maybe prevent pp-stalling, i havent tought it through completly tbh.xd

I still cant believe stalling out pps is a legit strategy haha.

without stats boost move, shadow tag gothitelle is just like a trash and would not be able to trap any pokemon even slowbro

ur suggest is just like banning dragon dance from dragonite, gyrados, just leading a pokemon to disappear in pvp

i doubt that a pokemon with 350 SpDef at max investment, access to taunt to avoid calm mind/slack off/status and access to thunderbold/dark puls cant handle a trapped defensive wall like slowbro.

And its not like banning DD for setup sweeper. The difference is u can switch in a pokemon with unaware (ok not working right now, thats the reason tank sweeper are used a lot lately) or with haze/status/super effective prio moves/resistances to intercept the boosting. But getting to +6 for free with 95% HP left is toxic!!!

217136 I strongly disapprove this proposal. In addition to what Danny said, it would add to the boredom of PVP to enforce such a rule. Imagine a Blissey vs Gothithelle fight, without Gothi buffs. MUCH FUN !! (wow)

If you guys wanna avoid Gothithelle, stop massively using walls. I just beat a guy named Doikon-something, he had such a stupid boring team -> Donphan, Sableye (can recover), Arcanine (def set, can recover), Slowbro (recovers on switch), Snorlax(can recover), Blissey (can recover). Come on, whats the point? The only way win issue is extremly time-consuming and 100% based on life stalling & curselax to finish the work lategame. What would it have been if I have had a similar team? Again, as already mentioned several times: a very long boring battle.

I really have seen enough of that crop, long live Gothithelle. I am gonna hunt one myself. Cheers.

To summarize -> Don't try to be fair with some "rules" if its only going one way. Plus, it's not the problem. There are just some items lacking.

its funny u are using a special attacker against a special wall as an argument. Arent special walls build to tank special attackers?

And yes i know the team comb. I played against similar combs a lot. And as someone not having access to 5 of the mentioned 6 pokes (only have an arcanine) and not having gothitelle too these combs are a pain in the *** to play against. I prefer playing against the tanksweeper or rain+hurricane combs because u lose way faster. But that doesnt change the fact that boosting a pokemon to +6 without counterplay is toxic and imo should not be allowed.

And yes content is missing. But whereas the missing content will heavily influence the strength of recover stall combs, they arent influencing the strength of trapping in combination with boosting. And Gothitelle isnt only countering the mentioned team comb. It can counter every team comb as long as it has 1 favourable match up to abuse.

instead of gothitelle, i think now breloom is more overpowered than shadow tag gothitelle :Cry:

fortunately there is sleep clause, or breloom just gonna be a super monster

though it's still hard to deal with it..... :Frown:

217136 If you guys wanna avoid Gothithelle, stop massively using walls. I just beat a guy named Doikon-something, he had such a stupid boring team -> Donphan, Sableye (can recover), Arcanine (def set, can recover), Slowbro (recovers on switch), Snorlax(can recover), Blissey (can recover). Come on, whats the point? The only way win issue is extremly time-consuming and 100% based on life stalling & curselax to finish the work lategame.

I really have seen enough of that [Censored], long live Gothithelle. I am gonna hunt one myself. Cheers.

Its like u put the words out of my heart and just wrote them down. :Heart:

What about a rule like not switching 3 or more times in a row without using a move? Would maybe prevent pp-stalling, i havent tought it through completly tbh.xd

I still cant believe stalling out pps is a legit strategy haha.

Same here... ranked pvp is INFESTED OF WALL TEAMS...i dont understand it, i'm from P.oke.M.M.O and the PvP style from that game is totally different than PRO, the pvp from that game is most offensive, you'll never see some guy with ferrothorn + sablaye+blissey+hipodown+mandibuzz+slowbro in the same team. (I'm not doing advertising)

Well, while pvp items doesn't comes, long live Gothithelle.

**oh, and please, fix encore to use woobuffet